X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I've got codes!!

Old 09-15-2014, 06:31 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Hey Rodney, I've been in San Diego for the last week but I'm headed home today. I'll post an update tomorrow or Wed with how it's driving, but so far since last Monday it drove pretty well.

Old 09-17-2014, 03:24 PM
Default Update

Ok, so things have improved. I very well might have been dealing with a few things and I think the Coils were the culprit and antagonist to the misfiring and sputtering. Things have improved a great deal and I have a sense of calm as a result of how the Jag is cruising and driving.

It shifts better (except for the obnoxious 'in between gears' feeling that seems to be common and occurs around 35-45mph, at least i read it was common), it doesn't idle rough or inconsistently, the RPM's don't randomly jump, it doesn't feel like it's going to sputter or stall, and it doesn't seem like it gets boggy at slow speeds like 20-25mph like it did before.

However, WAY back in the beginning before I did my tune up (so between about Jan and May) I was fussing about feeling "little misfires" or a feeling of air bubbles out of a hose going uphill or under a load. (imagine a garden hose that you just turned on and the water erratically pushes out along with air before you get a constant stream). This was a constant annoyance and it seemed to progressively develop into the resulting misfire issue i had recently. Maybe it's completely unrelated though because it is still there. When I go uphill I feel it, more so in 4th, and if I'm at a constant speed i tend to feel it. Another observation is when I'm on the freeway I constantly feel this shifty feeling or release. It's kind of like when you put it on Cruise Control and the computer constantly adjusts to maintain the same speed. It feels like that, but more pronounced, and I don't have cruise control on. So for the latter two issues, I don't have those resolved.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:40 PM

I should mention that with the whole garden hose analogy and the water erratically pushing out with air, the situation i'm encountering is less pronounced than the violent exit of water with my example. Hence, little misfires. It just feels like there are air bubbles in the fuel line or something and it only is noticeable under a load.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:50 AM

I had to drive about 30miles round trip this evening after work and when I started her up the idle was odd. It seemed restricted somehow, but maintained 700-800rpms as I let it warm up. Once I got on the freeway I was noticing that shifty feeling again. For whatever reason I turned off my A/C and it seemed that the shifty feeling was no longer as prevalent, or even easily noticed, as before.

Thought i'd mention this in case anyone has ever encountered idle or cruising issues with a possibly failing A/C compressor. I was told it would eventually need to be replaced, but I didn't get the impression it was a major problem or urgent concern.

Any feedback on this speculation? I'll double check the battery voltage again, but the battery is merely 18ish months old.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't have thought the two issues were related.

I do know coils can be sensitive so if knocked before installing can get damaged hence the misfiring issue.

Glad that has been resolved

Good luck with the other issue,

Rodney