Old 03-29-2018, 12:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaq

I've got a xtype and it won' start tryde battery. it is drain the battery

Old 03-29-2018, 12:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Welcome to the forum Ian,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some information about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 03-29-2018, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Gramps,
You haven't given us a lot to work with, So, how about answering a few questions and we can try and help out.

1. What year and engine is your X-Type? Diesel or Petrol?

2, Is the engine turning over/cranking but not starting?

3. Have you recently hit anything causing a severe jolt?

4. Did the NO Starting just suddenly occur?

5. Is the Check engine light on?

6. If the check engine light is on have you had the codes read?

The answers should help us get started on a path to diagnose your problem.

Old 03-29-2018, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Gramps,
You haven't given us a lot to work with, So, how about answering a few questions and we can try and help out.

1. What year and engine is your X-Type? Diesel or Petrol?

2, Is the engine turning over/cranking but not starting?

3. Have you recently hit anything causing a severe jolt?

4. Did the NO Starting just suddenly occur?

5. Is the Check engine light on?

6. If the check engine light is on have you had the codes read?

The answers should help us get started on a path to diagnose your problem.
it is a 2.1lt v6 checked all fuses and now won' start no eites on dash just getting a click

Old 03-29-2018, 05:12 PM
Default my jaq

it is petrol auto 2002

Old 03-29-2018, 06:31 PM
Veteran Member

Okay, Lets get started. If it is just clicking you need to make sure the battery has a full charge. Next remove the battery cables and clean and polish the battery terminals and the battery cable ends and make sure they are getting good contact.
While you are cleaning make sure to inspect the cable material that is exposed for corrosion. They are known to corrode internally.
Once they are cleaned and reinstalled try again to start and let us know what you get.
We can then move on to fuses and relays.

Old 03-30-2018, 05:54 AM
Default my jaq

Originally Posted by avern1
Okay, Lets get started. If it is just clicking you need to make sure the battery has a full charge. Next remove the battery cables and clean and polish the battery terminals and the battery cable ends and make sure they are getting good contact.
While you are cleaning make sure to inspect the cable material that is exposed for corrosion. They are known to corrode internally.
Once they are cleaned and reinstalled try again to start and let us know what you get.
We can then move on to fuses and relays.
hi I have checked all u told me to no joy

Old 03-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

I am attaching a picture of the under bonnet fuse box. First test the windshield washers and make sure they work. Then remove relay #5 windshield washers and swap it with relay #10 starter relay. If the car now starts you have moved the bad relay to position #5.
Also remove and replace fuse 29 in the fuse box. It is the starter relay fuse. Even if it tests good change it. It may be breaking down under load.
Last trick is to reach down with a stout piece of wood against the starter and give it a firm whack. If it starts then you have a dodgy starter.

Attached Thumbnails jaq-power-panel.jpg  
Old 03-30-2018, 12:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

If your car was working perfectly fine, then all of a sudden it won't start out of the blue there is a very good chance the battery needs to be replaced. The battery can give out pretty much without warning. Best thing would be to have it load tested.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:03 AM
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I had a similar problem recently - Started one day, no start the next. It may be the starter solenoid has failed.

You can do a quick check using a DC voltmeter to see if the starter solenoid is bad.

jaq-starter_front_explained.jpg

You will have to pull back the rubber boot covering the starter solenoid terminals (drivers side of engine).

There are 3 terminals -

(1) +12V from battery - Large terminal lug top of solenoid - always hot
(2) +12V from ignition - small terminal lug towards firewall - only hot when ignition placed to START
(3) Ground - large terminal lug at bottom of solenoid.

You can quickly check to ensure that you have +12V on the battery to starter terminal by placing the positive (red) lead of the voltmeter to the top solenoid terminal and placing the negative (black) lead to the battery (-) terminal or any bare metal on the engine or frame.

Check that you have +12V start signal by moving the positive lead of the voltmeter to the smaller terminal on the solenoid (firewall side) while someone places the ignition to START

If you have +12V when you test these two points, you likely have a failed starter solenoid.

BTW... I tried the "wack the solenoid" trick and it did free the solenoid up enough to partially engage the starter with the flywheel. I got an ominous grinding noise because it did not fully engage. I did not do it again...

I recently did a write-up on this forum covering on my replacement of the starter.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...emoval-196939/

Good luck.

Last edited by PanamaJag; 03-31-2018 at 10:10 AM.