Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key fob problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key fob problem

Hi,

I recently bought a 2002 x-type 2.5. Came with a key fob with no batteries in it, so I got it a new battery but it won't work.

I then tried to reprogramme it by turning the key from I to II 4 times and what not, heard the chime, tried the buttons, don't work.

Any advice?

Thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 09:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts
The following users liked this post:
cactusevan (11-01-2012)
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

I had the same issue, my car came with two fobs; one worked and the other one didn't at all. I tried new batteries in both; no change. I then tried reprogramming as instructed (used the working key for the first part obviously), but no beeps resulted when I went through every single button on the bad fob.

I then took both fobs apart, tested both circuit boards with both battery units, and each time with each combination they just worked (without reprogramming!). They've worked ever since. I've no idea what was caused the problem, but you might want to try something similar.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by steveinfrance
Right, I closed my door. I will try again soon! Thanks for the tip

Old 11-01-2012, 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
I had the same issue, my car came with two fobs; one worked and the other one didn't at all. I tried new batteries in both; no change. I then tried reprogramming as instructed (used the working key for the first part obviously), but no beeps resulted when I went through every single button on the bad fob.

I then took both fobs apart, tested both circuit boards with both battery units, and each time with each combination they just worked (without reprogramming!). They've worked ever since. I've no idea what was caused the problem, but you might want to try something similar.
Cheers for the reply, I only have one set of keys that's the problem. The annoying thing is that I don't know whether the circuit boards are working haha.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

By "one set of keys" do you mean you have just one key fob? To my knowledge, you need to do the first steps in the reprogramming (the ignition part) with a working key, and after the chime you press the buttons on the key fob that you want to "pair" with the car.

If you have just one key fob and it doesn't work, I think you need help from the dealer. It would be pretty horrible security-wise if you could just take a random X-Type key and pair it with a random unlocked X-Type

Old 11-02-2012, 06:06 AM
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
By "one set of keys" do you mean you have just one key fob? To my knowledge, you need to do the first steps in the reprogramming (the ignition part) with a working key, and after the chime you press the buttons on the key fob that you want to "pair" with the car.

If you have just one key fob and it doesn't work, I think you need help from the dealer. It would be pretty horrible security-wise if you could just take a random X-Type key and pair it with a random unlocked X-Type
You only need 1 key to pair the remote opening to the car. You need 2 to program the immobilisation part of the key.
If you are hearing the chime then the GEM on the car is ok. The remote part of your key must be faulty. You can buy them cheaply and swap the keyblade part of your original key (that holds the immobilisation code) onto the new fob.

Aonsaithya (11-02-2012)
Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Jaguar has info for the keyfob faults

bob gauff

Lcgi (11-02-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 07:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cactusevan
Hi,

I recently bought a 2002 x-type 2.5. Came with a key fob with no batteries in it, so I got it a new battery but it won't work.

I then tried to reprogramme it by turning the key from I to II 4 times and what not, heard the chime, tried the buttons, don't work.

Any advice?

Thanks
Hello there! one of my brother had the same problem, he found out he was missing one step on the programming steps i guess..he posted it here Programming Jaguar key fob you might want to check it out, some people gave some really good advices there as well. it might help you out! cheers!

Old 11-06-2012, 08:50 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

When I bought my '05 X-Type in '08 I asked the dealer if I could get a key that could just open the trunk where I store my motorcycle gear during the riding season. I didn't want the whole fob assembly since I needed to have it on my motorcycle key ring and didn't want a lot extra "stuff" that would make the ring bulky.

The dealer supplied me with a key without the battery and buttons (i.e., just the part of the fob with the switch-blade key) that fits the lock and opens doors/trunk but won't start the car. I drilled a hole in the end to mount it on the key ring.

Does that mean that they didn't program it to activate the ignition but only to physically work in the door?

Could I program that key so that it would start the engine? Or would trying to do that possibly screw up the two other complete key fobs that I have?
================================================
Jaguar - it's not an automobile, it's a Motorcar

Old 12-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Try the 4 on off thing with the door open. Mine works with the door open but not when it's closed.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:51 AM

I have the same problem, did the key reprogramming thing, got the GEM ding, but fob still doesn't work. Is there any way to test the circuits? Next stop is Jag dealer, but don't want to spend big money.

Edit:
Went to dealer and checked circuit board in key fob, it is giving off a signal, so what else could it be??? Dealer said they charge $123 to reprogram key.

Last edited by bdelgros; 01-03-2013 at 12:05 PM.