X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaper badges and bonnet emblems

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 02:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaper badges and bonnet emblems

Just wondered what the general thoughts were on adding them. Personally I think I would really like one for the bonnet, they seem easy enough to come by on ebay.
Just dont want to appear crass if its not the done thing, only had the car two weeks.

Old 06-10-2012, 02:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

Like this?
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...e2/#post519747

I've been thinking of just that, but I think it's necessary to have the rear otherwise debadged (as I've done), otherwise it will start to look really cluttered. I'll probably order mine from Adamesh (small 8cm, leaping left) when the time comes.

Old 06-10-2012, 03:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

A leaper is a great add-on for Jaguars

Old 06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Lichfield, check your local laws. I know over in England, there is a real crack down on having the raised leaper (the one that leaps out of the hood, not the one leaping across the body) due to impalement if a car should strike a pedestrian. Every area has its quirks with the law. Do a little bit of research before you make an addition like that.

If you are going with the leaper like what is found on the newer XF/XK's, then that will not be a problem when it comes to the law.

I say if that is what you want, then go for it. Just a warning though, there are some Jaguar purists out there that believe "the car was built a certain way for a reason, thou shall not change it". They are few and far between, but they also seem to be very vocal too. As long as you can ignore them, then you will be fine.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:32 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

I'm from the de-badged camp. My X-Type and the XJR are de-badged. It's pretty obvious that they are Jags, no need to advertise!

I personally cannot stand the leaper badges, I think they look cheap, even on the new XF's, XJ's & XK's. The fact that you can buy them on ebay for peanuts and so many people have stuck them on thier cars cheapens it even further.

The problem is symmetry. Most all manufacturers have a symmetrical logo, it's more pleasing on the eye, the leaper badge looks out of balance on the rear of a car. It kind of works on the sides, so the cat is leaping fowards. But on the boot, where's it going? The round growler looks better on the bonnet or the boot.

I often thought, they should make a special badge for the boot, hell I just made one for my avatar.
In fact I think I might have to look into this as a side business, these would look great in place of the leaper.
Or maybe hats & tee shirts!

The bonnet leaper used to work, back in the 70's, you could just about get away with it on your Series III or XJ40 in the 80's, but on the modern Jags it just doesn't look right.

Just my opinion!

Last edited by Cambo; 06-10-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Picture removed, now my avatar
Old 06-10-2012, 10:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good advise all round, still undecided. Being new to the game, personally I still think it would look great for the sake of £50ish but I can see the purists point of view. I want one but dont want to get it wrong.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 AM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

The only thing is, with a bonnet leaper you have to drill a hole in the bonnet, that makes it a permanent fixture unless you want to get the bonnet re-sprayed.

Think long & hard, and have a look at all the US X-Types on the forum here with the leaper on the "hood" before you break out the tools!

Old 06-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by kblock
Good advise all round, still undecided. Being new to the game, personally I still think it would look great for the sake of £50ish but I can see the purists point of view. I want one but dont want to get it wrong.
Go for it Dude....
The chrome Bonnet Leaper very much epitomises the Jag - as does the Silver Lady on RR's.

Spring-fixing does much to alleviate concerns expressed about pedestrian/cyclist impalement in accidents (least of any casualty concerns in my view)

The following users liked this post:
Stuart Beattie (04-14-2014)
Old 07-21-2012, 08:53 AM
Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts

Mine has a more subdued leaping cat. I guess being a black car Jag installed a matching Jaguar!
Name:  IMGP0002-2.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  108.4 KB

Old 07-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Aonsaithya
Like this?

I've been thinking of just that, but I think it's necessary to have the rear otherwise debadged (as I've done), otherwise it will start to look really cluttered. I'll probably order mine from Adamesh (small 8cm, leaping left) when the time comes.
I really like that pic of the tail lights etc in your signature. Would you please share with me how you did it all? And what some of it means? Thanks!

Old 07-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mark Scotton
I really like that pic of the tail lights etc in your signature. Would you please share with me how you did it all? And what some of it means? Thanks!
Thanks! I took a photo of the rear of my car (which is platinum), and just photomanipulated it to match the forum post background colour. I overlayed a semi-transparent layer of the background colour on the photo and slowly erased bits and pieces of the photo below to make it smooth.

The squares are, from left to right, the car colour (platinum MDZ, just an approximation), wood trim (bird's eye maple, a crop of a photo I took), and leather colours (dove LHJ and granite LGP, from this handy list).

Mark Scotton (07-21-2012)
Old 07-21-2012, 04:28 PM

Thanks! I took a photo of the rear of my car (which is platinum), and just photomanipulated it to match the forum post background colour. I overlayed a semi-transparent layer of the background colour on the photo and slowly erased bits and pieces of the photo below to make it smooth.

The squares are, from left to right, the car colour (platinum MDZ, just an approximation), wood trim (bird's eye maple, a crop of a photo I took), and leather colours (dove LHJ and granite LGP, from this handy list).
So very cool! Thank you for explaining it for me. I really like it!

Old 07-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Veteran Member

So very cool! Thank you for explaining it for me. I really like it!
No problemo, you could do it too since your car is white and thus close enough to the background colour ^^

I didn't just go snap the photo for the purpose of making a signature though, I had it from when I shot a few clips for my upcoming "stock vs adamesh exhaust" -video. Revving the engine is pretty embarrassing though, so I had to find a secluded area and compensate with some artsy shallow DoF. Screencaps from the video below:

Old 07-22-2012, 05:15 AM

No problemo, you could do it too since your car is white and thus close enough to the background colour ^^

I didn't just go snap the photo for the purpose of making a signature though, I had it from when I shot a few clips for my upcoming "stock vs adamesh exhaust" -video. Revving the engine is pretty embarrassing though, so I had to find a secluded area and compensate with some artsy shallow DoF. Screencaps from the video below:
Those are great pics! Would you be willing to help me make one of my car?

Old 07-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Veteran Member

Those are great pics! Would you be willing to help me make one of my car?
Thanks again! Yours is a 2003, so the rear end is practically the same (the only possible difference is the boot plinth)? I could just replace the trim-squares with ones your car has. What's your interior trim & veneer?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:02 PM

Thanks again! Yours is a 2003, so the rear end is practically the same (the only possible difference is the boot plinth)? I could just replace the trim-squares with ones your car has. What's your interior trim & veneer?
Awesome! thanks! My interior code is ADX. And my veneer is Birds Eye Maple. My email is brownslanejag@yahoo.com.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:04 PM

And I have that same boot plinith on my car.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Veteran Member

Awesome! thanks! My interior code is ADX. And my veneer is Birds Eye Maple. My email is brownslanejag@yahoo.com.
Sand (ADX) was offered in combination with either sable (AEK, brown) or warm charcoal (LEG, black), so is the steering wheel & the top of your dash in which colour?

Old 07-22-2012, 03:10 PM

Sand (ADX) was offered in combination with either sable (AEK, brown) or warm charcoal (LEG, black), so is the steering wheel & the top of your dash in which colour?
Mine is Sable. AEK.

Old 07-22-2012, 06:00 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your signature picture my friend is beyond AWESOME!

Like this?

Aonsaithya (07-22-2012)