X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

limp mode at 3000 rpm

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 12:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default limp mode at 3000 rpm

ok here is my story. i bought this jag and it like many others has this on going problem with going into limp mode at 3000 rpm. it seems that vacuum leaks are the major cause of this. after doing some research i found that they changed pretty much every gasket for the intakes. when i pulled things apart i found that i had the old style yellow gaskets. jag changed those to a thicker and rounder gasket. and they are now green. i have ordered the new style green intake gaskets. upper and lower. new injector o rings. and new style green imt valve o rings. i will also be changing the plugs while i have it apart. and the rear valve cover is leaking oil. so that will also be changed. i am hoping that when this is all put back together that this problem will be resolved. oh yeah, on the intake manifolds, the end bolt has pulled the brass insert on both of them. i will be putting blind nuts on these ends to make this seal good. i will keep up on how things are going.

Old 11-18-2010, 02:39 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I'm putting my money on an X-Type. Can't guess the year or engine size....but definitely an X.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:47 PM

well yeah i guess that information would help a bit. but you seem to know your cars with problems. lol. yes it is an X type. 2003 with the 2.5 engine. i received my new GREEN intake (upper & lower) rubber gaskets. im having a bit of a hard time finding the injector and fuel rail o-rings. may have to go to the local dealer for those. and i also need the new green i.n.t. valves o-ring, and the valve cover gaskets. i may go ahead and change out both valve cover gaskets while i have it torn apart. i just dont wanna miss anything while it is down this far. so if there is something i am missing, i would great appreciate any and all information you might be willing to share. thanks.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

some more common areas i've seen are the pcv hose part # c2s40863 and also check your vacuum hose from the intake to brake booster part # c2s17552. hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:07 AM
ud

Originally Posted by jonsjag
well yeah i guess that information would help a bit. but you seem to know your cars with problems. lol. yes it is an X type. 2003 with the 2.5 engine. i received my new GREEN intake (upper & lower) rubber gaskets. im having a bit of a hard time finding the injector and fuel rail o-rings. may have to go to the local dealer for those. and i also need the new green i.n.t. valves o-ring, and the valve cover gaskets. i may go ahead and change out both valve cover gaskets while i have it torn apart. i just dont wanna miss anything while it is down this far. so if there is something i am missing, i would great appreciate any and all information you might be willing to share. thanks.
Yes, +1 on what lightninfil says. I think I have some X intake seals laying around in my shop. I'll take a look. I also think I have a complete injector rail assembly (if I haven't sold it). I'll check for you, but don't hold up waiting on me if you find them.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM

thanks again for you response. yes i did read about the pcv hose. it has been replaced to the new style ribbed type. as in the hose, not for her pleasure. also checked the brake booster hose and the other hose from the intake to the solenoids on the back fire wall. i have purchased new inserts for those lines. so it seems i am on the right track. i was hoping maybe there was someone out there that had the same problem and went thru this process. wondering if it solved the problem.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
ud

Originally Posted by jonsjag
thanks again for you response. yes i did read about the pcv hose. it has been replaced to the new style ribbed type. as in the hose, not for her pleasure. also checked the brake booster hose and the other hose from the intake to the solenoids on the back fire wall. i have purchased new inserts for those lines. so it seems i am on the right track. i was hoping maybe there was someone out there that had the same problem and went thru this process. wondering if it solved the problem.
See my post above this one I think we posted at almost the exact same minute.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have fixed all of you vacuum leak issues i believe the next step i would take is to replace the upstream oxygen sensors. they are the ones that tell the computer that the vehicle is running rich or lean.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:47 AM
ud

Originally Posted by steve11
Yes, +1 on what lightninfil says. I think I have some X intake seals laying around in my shop. I'll take a look. I also think I have a complete injector rail assembly (if I haven't sold it). I'll check for you, but don't hold up waiting on me if you find them.
Well, I looked around my snop and I only have used intake seals. I don't reuse these seals, like replacing with new, but I keep some used ones that are in very good shape for emergencies. I couldn't help you with a set of either uppers or lowers. Also, I must have sold the injector rail I thought I still had.

The following users liked this post:
jonsjag (12-14-2010)
Old 11-23-2010, 09:41 AM

hi steve11. just wanna say thanks for your time. i did get new green intake gaskets. upper and lower. i am looking for the o-rings for the injectors. one on the bottom and one on the top of each one. once the weather clears i will begin to put this puppy back together. i will post as i do.

Old 12-09-2010, 01:16 PM

ok. i have almost everything i need to put this thing back together. the part that i thought would be the easiest thing to find, has turned out to be the most difficult. the O-rings for the injectors. top and bottom. even the dealership did not show these. just the entire fuel rail system. cant find anything on the internet. i did happen to find new upper o-rings, and now need to come up with the lower ones. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I found this post on Fuel Injector O-Rings from forum member Karmak. It says you can contact him by send him a message and he would be glad to grab some and ship them out to you (he knows where to get them at a local bearing shop. Also mentions the local bearing shop (Tri State Bearing 812-425-1336) Here is the link to the post:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...79&page=#8

Read the other posts in the tread on O rings.

Looks like his last visit to the forum was 10/25/10
Here is the link to his member public view:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/members/karmak-41593/

Try sending a private message to him.

Hope this works out for you.
Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 12-09-2010 at 02:23 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jonsjag (12-14-2010)
Old 12-10-2010, 12:33 PM

hi jim. thanks for your information. i did check it out and have left a message for him to contact me. hopefully this will come thru so i can start putting this thing back together. i will post the outcome.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:59 PM

ok. while i am waiting to figure out the bottom injector o-rings, i have decided to take this a bit further. i had noticed that the car did leave minor oil spots in the garge, so i have decided to replace the valve cover gaskets. figured i might as well, while i have it apart. while looking for gasket sets, i noticed they always show the 3.0 engine and i have the 2.5. my guess is that they take the same gaskets. if someone would verify this for me, i will go ahead and order them. i am going to get the felpro set.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:48 AM

i was just told by a guy on ebay, that the 3.0 gaskets are different than the 2.5. this kinda sucks since most of what i am seeing is for the 3.0 .

Old 12-15-2010, 11:31 AM

ok. so got that all figured out. i bought the gaskets from the local dealership. now if it would just stop raining.

Old 12-23-2010, 07:46 PM

ok. i just had to post these pictures. im guessing this was definitely an issue, and i am beginning to think that this might solve my problem completely. what do you think?

Attached Thumbnails limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc190258.jpg   limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc190256.jpg   limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc190257.jpg  
Old 12-26-2010, 02:48 PM

hope everyones holidays were good. well after 2 weeks, the rain has finally stopped for a while. yea! today i will clean the fuel injectors and assemble the fuel rail . i will post some pics as i go along. feel free to jump in anytime with any comments.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:19 PM

i made an injector cleaner and cleaned the injectors. the motor oil was used on the o-rings prior to assembly.

Attached Thumbnails limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc260265.jpg   limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc260266.jpg   limp mode at 3000 rpm-pc260267.jpg  
Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 PM

well after raising our rain percentage to almost 300% of normal, i got in a couple nice days and got this thing back together. the sad part is that it is still doing the same thing it was in the first place. im not upset for doing all of the top end work. at least i know it is not any kind of a vacuum leak. so now i am looking for bad sensors. anyone have any suggestions on where to start. thanks.

Quick Reply: limp mode at 3000 rpm