X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 04:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?

Here is a picture of my AC compressor. It has a little nut on the front. If I take that off does the front come off so I can get at the clutch bearings. It makes noise and when I spray oil on the front and behind pulley it stops, but it is thin oil. I probably need to pack the bearings. Someone recommending take off the wheel inside cover to get at the front of the ac compressor. I just want to make sure if I take that little nut off I can get at the bearings. I might even need to change them.

Attached Thumbnails Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-jaguar-compressor-ac.jpg  
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't think that removing that nut will give you better access to the bearings for oiling than spraying oil behind the pulley. To fix the problem you might need to remove and refurbish both bearings on the compressor.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:04 AM
Default ic

Originally Posted by direng
I don't think that removing that nut will give you better access to the bearings for oiling than spraying oil behind the pulley. To fix the problem you might need to remove and refurbish both bearings on the compressor.
So you think there might not be any real way to get at the clutch bearings other than having it rebuilt? I was afraid of that. I imagine they didn't design it to be taken apart. I was thinking maybe there is a way to have thicker bearing grease sprayed in if it was melted. It sounds cheesy, but I wonder if it would work. It isn't as bad as before since I sprayed, but gun oil and wd40 are so thin they don't last.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,692 Likes on 1,208 Posts

Jeff I happen to have a junk compressor on my work bench that I just replaced in my S Type, they look to be the same. I will tinker with it and see how to remove the clutch assembly in a little while.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Ok its been a little while

As shown in pics below, I used a 13mm socket and a screw driver to remove the "little nut". It was tight but after a couple of attempts the nut came off, an extra set of hands would have helped. The screw driver held the clutch assembly from spinning.

Once the nut was removed I used another screw driver to pry the clutch spring (cover) off the clutch assembly. NOTE: DO NOT DO THIS! Use hardwood or plastic wedges, the tip of the screw driver damaged the metal clutch pad underneath the spring cover.The spring cover is splinned as shown and it is on there pretty tight.

Under the spring cover is the sealed bearing and retainer "C" clip. There is no way of lubbing that bearing!

Hope this helps.

For some reason photobucket is locking up on me, so I am posting pics the old fashion way, sorry!

Attached Thumbnails Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-dscn6016.jpg   Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-dscn6020.jpg   Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-dscn6019.jpg   Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-dscn6017.jpg   Little nut on the AC compressor on the front to oil the clutch bearing?-dscn6021.jpg  

Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 PM
Default Thank you so much

Wow, thank you so much Joycesjag. Thant answers a few questions. I was thinking there was bearings under that that were somehow getting lubed when I sprayed. So there is no way to lube the oil, and the noise coming from there is not the bearings I'm thinking now. It is probably the clutch plate itself barely touching the flywheel(not sure if that's what it's called). When I spray oil it gets between those parts and the sqeaking stops temporarily. Now my question is, how do I fix that? Could I put a different clutch plate on to correct it? It's probably not a common problem.

Thank you again, I really appreciate that.

Old 06-19-2011, 01:18 PM
Veteran Member

I think you need to purchase a new or reman compressor. There are 2 different casing styles be sure to get the right one.

Here is a picture of the 2 different casings the shorter bolt casing is for a V8 S Type and the longer for a 3.0

The longer casing is approx 4" long and the shorter is about 3.5" long

Here is a link to an OEM for sale here, you want to ask what motor its for:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/p...pressor-56084/

Old 06-19-2011, 05:34 PM
Default it look

It looks like there is a C clip inside the pulley from your pictures. If that is removed with the pulley slide off? If it does then it is possible to change the sealed bearing. If the clutch plate is stationary and on mine they are rubbing that could mean my flywheel has drifted out a millimeter. I'm sure they are suppose to be super close when not engaged.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:43 PM
Veteran Member

Simply put it is not a slide off. A press will get the entire clutch assembly off. Again I must stress to remove the clutch assembly from the compressor some speciality tools or some creative thinking will work.

You need a new compressor.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:07 PM
Default ok

It works great now other than the intermittent noise, so I won't change it yet. Thanks for you help. If I could pop it off with a pulley thingy. The thing that has 3 arms and a center that screws down to pull off the pulley. But they probably don't sell just the pulley anyways. Thanks again. I won't do anything since it's working fine.