X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

little tips to buy X type

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

sshbou, from my point of view, there are 2 issues that need to be taken into consideration before purchasing an X-Type.

1) the transfer cases are the weak link in these cars, you be good to the transfer case, the car will be good to you. so, if you are looking for a car that will blast from stop light to stop light, this is not the car unless you have bottomless pockets (then odds are, you wouldn't be looking at an X-Type in the first place). Along those same lines, when looking at the car, take it out for a test drive and see if you hear what sounds like bolts in the bottom of an oil pan. if so, someone is trying to pass off a transfer case that is getting ready to die. Now, as you can probably guess, if you are wanting more power, that is a questionable thing to do since the transfer case does not like to be abused. More power simply means it will be easier to abuse the transfer case. So, you can be playful with the car, just don't plan on flooring it all the time.

2) if you are looking for a car that you can modify and dress up and simply make something completely different than what others have, this is not the car for you unless you have lots (and I mean LOTS) of ability in crafting stuff. There are not a lot of upgrades for the car that are simple "bolt ons". For example, when it comes to tail lights, to the best of my knowledge, you have the factory ones and then you have some made by Arden. That is it. Body kits, same thing, you have 1 group to choose from with a single style. Doing the basic stuff (window tint, seat covers, etc) are not a problem, but if you are looking to put wings on the car, body kits, etc, you are out of luck. If you are after engine mods, well the options normally are even less (ie, there are none out there). This will mean that if you are wanting more power out of the engine, it will involve lots of research and doing a one-off modification. We can give you guidance, but in a lot of cases, you will be venturing into new ground.

With all this being said, the X-Type is a good car. Probably on the lower end of the scale when it comes to mileage, but then, are you buying this car for the mileage or the luxuries? The car will handle just about anything you can toss at it weather wise because of the AWD. And as I stated before, you be good to the car, it will be good to you. Most of the problems people have are fairly easy fixes if you can do them yourself. If you are not mechanically inclined, you will also find that because it is a jag, shops think you have bottomless pockets and if you find a "less than desireable" shop, they will try to rape you blind. I'm sure others will have the horror stories about this very thing.

So, if you have more questions, keep the questions coming. I'm not trying to scare you, but the X-Type is a slightly different monster than most cars.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

every car in the world has its know problem. the problem is how much you want to spend fix it if you get a problem. Jaguar isn't cheap to repair. They are good cars it you keep up with the maintance and don't let worn out or damaged parts going for so long without repairing them. just do your research like any other car you want to buy. i service x-type's in the 150k mile range and they drive like new. it how will the car it treated.

sidenote: manual transmission x-type models seem to be better in wear and tear on the whole car not sure they but they are better lol

Old 01-20-2010, 10:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I woulden't understand why someone would rice a jag out for. Other wise the jag is a good car, if you treat it right.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:03 AM
Received 67 Likes on 31 Posts

i live in MA and own an 04 x-type 3.0 great car, have seen a few problems, but overall good. only bad part about MA is the potholes. right now with ground frozen it feels like driving with out suspension!!! best of luck, where in MA are you? im in western
MA, 15 min from holyoke and 25 from spfld. -stevis05

Old 01-21-2010, 07:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Jagtech
every car in the world has its know problem. the problem is how much you want to spend fix it if you get a problem. Jaguar isn't cheap to repair. They are good cars it you keep up with the maintance and don't let worn out or damaged parts going for so long without repairing them. just do your research like any other car you want to buy. i service x-type's in the 150k mile range and they drive like new. it how will the car it treated.

sidenote: manual transmission x-type models seem to be better in wear and tear on the whole car not sure they but they are better lol
X2, on point.

Anything you can find out about the service or repair history of the car would be very important. If you find anything out, post it up here. Your local Jag dealer may be able to look the car up for you.

That is a fairly low mileage example, however it is out of warranty. You may be able to get a good deal on a 3rd party warranty with the miles being that low. If you are not a DIY'er and can't afford to drop a few thousand out of the blue, you might want to investigate a 3rd party warranty for some peace of mind.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Even paying a premium to get the extended warranty through Jag would be worth it based on what you paid for the car and the peace of mind it would give you. You would still be way ahead of the game after paying only $3K for the car.