X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking at an 04 X-Type - general questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at an 04 X-Type - general questions

Hi...I am new to this forum, and have never owned a Jaguar, but my wife is trying to find a new (used) car for her daily driver, and her tastes gravitate towards the higher end vehicles. We have looked at a few pre-owned Audi's, BMW's, and Mercedes, and I found a couple of X-Types that have less miles and are less expensive than the those other makes. We are scheduled to drive one of the cars for sale tomorrow, but I wanted to get a little more information about the X-Type, as I have never owned a Jaguar before. My wife's previous vehicle was a first generation Lexus RX300 that we bought with 119K miles on it. If I had done more research on forums like these, I probably wouldn't have bought it as that particular vehicle had some common problems. Here are few questions I was hoping to get answered regarding the X-Type so we can better understand what we are getting into should we purchase this car:

1.) We are looking at a 2004 model year, are there any "general" problems that these types of cars have? Anything specific that most owners experience that I should be aware of?

2.) The particular car we are looking at has 54K miles on, and it's a manual transmission. Any problems with the manual transmission or is it typically a good tranny?

3.) Can a novice person (like me) do basic maintenance and minor repairs on a vehicle like this? I know this is a tough question to answer since nobody knows me, but I change my own oil, and have done a few complete brake jobs on most of my vehicles as well as basic tune up things. While I am not very comfortable working on cars, I really hate paying the higher repair and labor costs that luxury vehicles typically call for.

5.) The blue book on these X-Type models (especially the 2004's) seem to be at a good price point. However, the few local dealers who have an X-Type for sale are typically asking a lot more than the blue book. Do these cars typically sell for more than blue book or is it just that dealers ask high prices on all their cars (which I know is the case, but I was just wondering if the market was soft on these cars or if there is a higher demand for them compared to other makes and models).

6.) Any other general comments or advice that you guys could give a Jaguar newbie/potential buyer?

Thanks for any help!!!

Old 11-11-2011, 12:14 PM

One other quick question, are the 2002 and 2003 models pretty much identical to the later one's? Or, were the first model years more quirky with problems?

Old 11-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

1) Transfer case failure and rusting sills are the big areas. These are complex cars.
2) I have a manual, no problems, but PO could have abused clutch. Clutch replacement is costly.
3) You can do basic maintenance and tech info is available. This is a good forum for info and help. But it is a complex car,
5) These are premium dealers and they gouge. Their argument is they "certify" the cars, but that's a promise from a proven liar.
6) To own one you have to understand and appreciate what a Jaguar is. If you’re looking for cheap prestige then you might be disappointed.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:58 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I bought my X Type about six months ago. I love it. I sitting in the car looking at the green dials and the wood steering wheel. Everyone owns a BMW, MB, or an Audi. But when you say "Jaguar" everyone's first response is "oh wow".

My only complaint is that it's a bit on the smaller side. It fits two easy, and while the back seat is "okay" no one is gonna be comfortable sitting in the back seat for a long drive.

Old 11-11-2011, 01:59 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Tony did a good job describing what this car is and what you should expect, but I have 110k milles on mine and she still drives like a dream. I have done EVERYTHING on this car myself so far and have never taken it into a shop. With that being said, I own an 02. If I had a bit more change I would have gone for an 04 because they had stronger transfer cases and didn't have as many kinks. However, I bought my car as a gamble at $5700 for a 3.0 sport. In my 10k miles that I have owned this car, I would highly recommend it to someone who can trouble shoot and is comfortable doing 90% of their own repairs. If you think you can only repair 40% of it yourself, you will be wasting your money. In my ownership I have had a frozen caliper, broken door actuator, complete overhaul on the stereo and have done 4 oil changes, 3 t case changes to fully flush all old oil, a transmission flush, and have had to grease many bearings. I have also built a cheap fan control module. Like tony said, these are complicated cars, but spend enough time with them and you will understand them much better. Hope that helps

Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Going along with dumb/luck, I bought the car because I am 6 6 and don't fit in many cars, but the legroom for the front seats is spectacular!

Old 11-11-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought my '04 X-Type 3.0 automatic 4 months ago w/52K miles on it and it's been great so far. I really enjoy driving it.

In addition to what's been posted so far I would recommend having a good mechanic do an inspection before you buy. While he might not know the specific idiosyncrasies of your car they can spot obvious things such as exiting fluid leaks (red flag because everything lubricated is expensive to replace), canted wheels (possible bad bearings), and in general diving it to listen for unusual noises.

For peace of mind I picked up an aftermarket 3yr/36K warranty for a reasonable price that covers most of the really expensive stuff.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Tony_H
1) Transfer case failure and rusting sills are the big areas. These are complex cars.
2) I have a manual, no problems, but PO could have abused clutch. Clutch replacement is costly.
3) You can do basic maintenance and tech info is available. This is a good forum for info and help. But it is a complex car,
5) These are premium dealers and they gouge. Their argument is they "certify" the cars, but that's a promise from a proven liar.
6) To own one you have to understand and appreciate what a Jaguar is. If you’re looking for cheap prestige then you might be disappointed.

Thanks for all the information so far guys. Regarding the complex car, is it complex because they aren't built as well as a Toyota or other such "mainstream" car, or is it that there are many computer type of system on the car, or just a bunch of little things that can go wrong...more so than a "mainstream" car?

Can someone explain what the "sills" are? Transfer case problems...sounds expensive!

Old 11-11-2011, 05:19 PM
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jbobst
Thanks for all the information so far guys. Regarding the complex car, is it complex because they aren't built as well as a Toyota or other such "mainstream" car, or is it that there are many computer type of system on the car, or just a bunch of little things that can go wrong...more so than a "mainstream" car?

Can someone explain what the "sills" are? Transfer case problems...sounds expensive!
It is complex because it is AWD and has many electronic dodad's (but no more than other luxury cars). I've never had a Toyota, but this is my 6th Jag (MK X, XKE, XK140, XJS, XJ6 and X Type).

Sills are the body directly under the doors. On X Types there is a plastic trim but it's what's underneath that counts. The area behind where the front fender meets the door is a particular problem. Now you're in AZ so if it's a local car I doubt this would be an issue. With the TC, if you get it before any problems have started and then you do the oil changes described in this forum, you should be OK.

Last edited by Tony_H; 11-11-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:33 PM

Thanks Tony, great information!

Old 11-14-2011, 09:28 AM
pab
Veteran Member
Received 240 Likes on 207 Posts

Based on where you appear to be located I really wouldn't worry about any rust problems...

As far as what others have said, yes these are complex cars due to both the AWD and the level of sophistication including NAV, high end stereo, "modern" electronics, etc. The same could probably be said for any of the competing cars (A4, C-series, 3-series). And yes the dealers charge premium rates for their services, but again that's equally expected from the others (i.e., Audi, Mercedes, BMW).

Have you considered an extended warranty? Does your dealer offer one? The money up front can be very soothing later on...
================================================
Jaguar: Grace, Pace, and Space - Sir William Lyons

Old 11-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, unless you can do most of the work yourself I would stay far away from this vehicle...this is by far and away the neediest vehicle I have ever owned...and I've owned/own volvos, lexus, volkswagen, bmw, and so on...I purchased mine with 25k on it and I have had to do an excessive amount of work in my opinion in order to get it back into shape...If you're just an oil change brake work kinda guy I would run for the hills...They look petty and are great when they work but this car can nickel and dime you to death in a hurry. Just my .02....On the other hand if your masochist then go ahead and buy the vehicle and know that this site will prove as an invaluable reference point for you in the future!!

Old 11-14-2011, 11:53 AM
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

1) 2004 and newer cars are typically better with reliability. The newer you can afford, the better.

2) My 2005 is also a manual and it still shifts like butter (as they say). Haven't seen hardly any manual transmission threads on this forum aside from how to change the fluid.

3) This one's a bit tricky. If, like you say, you really don't like paying higher labor/parts for luxury vehicles, then you may not want this car. As you probably know, any service is generally more expensive on this car. But, if you really can troubleshoot and do the semi-difficult maintenance tasks, then maybe you'll be ok. This forum is also a great resource, and if one of the members lives close, it's possible to meet up and stick two heads together to solve problems.

4) These cars can be had a very affordable prices. Shop around, be patient, and you'll find the car you're looking for.

5) My only real recommendation would be to purchase a warranty if the dealer offers one. It truly will save you money. It won't take very many service visits before the charges add up.

Good luck to you!