X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of strange problems

Old 11-05-2015, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of strange problems

I am a fairly new owner (6 months) and have read a lot of things in the forum but didn't have a lot to contribute. My 2004 X-type 3.0 AWD ran superb for the first 4 months and then I took it for a trip to Florida (I live in Wilmington, NC)
On the way back, the ac stopped working and I thought I would get it looked at when I got home but no one here will touch the car. The battery died and so I got it replaced from batteries plus. The assured me it was the correct battery but told me the old one had a lot of corrosion on the positive post. Since then, I have had the following problems,

Check engine light comes on and stays on for a couple of days and then goes off...then comes on again

The washer light comes on, and goes off even though it full

It now will shift hard, sometimes, when I am slowing down, of speeding up

Sometimes the windows wont roll up all the way when I pull or push the buttons, you have to hold them, and sometimes you can lift it once and they roll all the way

The handbrake doesn't hold the car anymore

When I take the key out of the ignition, the lcd display flashes on and off about 10 times

Sometimes when I start, mostly in the morning, it revs high and then kind of splutters and will either cut out, or rev high, and then settle down

Sorry to bombard everyone with these but they all seem to be happening within the last couple of months and I am trying to find a dealer who knows the codes as AutoZone & Advanced Auto can only give me generic codes (possible fuel pump, possible fuel rail....)

Any help would be appreciated as I LOVE the car.

Thanks for reading

Old 11-05-2015, 11:16 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

drossy007, it sounds like you have a few issues going on. I would first start with replacing your positive battery cable. From the sounds of things, this cable is causing a lower voltage to the electrical system which will cause really weird things to happen. You can prove the cable bad by simply turning on a lot of the electrical loads (seat heaters, rear window defroster, dash fan) and then opening the hood and accessing the battery. If you put your hand over the positive battery terminal (do not touch it) and it is extremely warm/hot, then you have a bad cable.

I would also recommend stopping by your local auto parts store and getting the codes read. They should do this for free. This will give us a more detailed explanation of what is causing the car to think it has issues. Granted, the low voltage can cause lots of funny codes to appear for no reason. May even lead to the funny idle condition that you are seeing.

As for the brakes, this is a common issue with the X-TYpe. It is sounding like you have a caliper that has frozen up. If you apply the e-brake, I bet you can pull it fully up to the stop with very little difficulty. If you get under the car (with it properly braced to prevent it from rolling) and look under the center of the car where the e-brake is, you will see where a single cable pulls on a bar in the center and has 2 cables coming off it it (one on each end). The bar should be perpendicular to both rear wheels. If the bar is pointing at one of the rear wheels, that is the one with the frozen caliper. You can prove it by removing the wheel and releasing the e-brake. You can then attempt to move the lever with your hand. It should move with some force, but no need for a prybar or like tool. A new caliper can be had for around $100 or so on e-bay. You may even find that both of your rear calipers are having issues. So, I would check both just to make sure.

If you need more help, let us know. As you can see, we have the answers to what you are after.

The following users liked this post:
drossy007 (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 11:48 PM

Thank you so much. I will try to get the codes and will also try the battery idea. If the cable is bad, where would I get a new one and would it be difficult to replace.

Thanks again

Old 11-06-2015, 06:03 AM
Received 183 Likes on 149 Posts

You may find this post of interest for you.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...le-help-47889/

drossy007 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 04:41 AM
Veteran member

drossy, if you can pull the cable off and go to the local auto parts store, they should have one that will work for you.

drossy007 (11-07-2015)
Old 11-07-2015, 09:06 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm off work Tuesday and I am going to replace all the battery cables just to make sure. I'll let you all know.

Old 11-10-2015, 01:05 PM

So new problem, I was driving to work and the car died. It would start but ran really rough as if it was out of gas. The display showed 63 miles left. I got it to a gas station and put $20 of gas in it and it now runs fine. I'm picking up a negative and positive battery cable today and will be replacing them tomorrow. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see

Old 11-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Veteran member

drossy, it may be just a coincidence, but what you are also seeing to me can be a fuel pump starting to go. Keep an eye on things and go from there. Replace the battery cables and then see what you have at that point

Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM

Thanks thermo. I just went to advanced auto and the cable looks nothing like what I have on the car. I hope its ok to post the link to the part,if not, could the moderator remove it please.
Here is what they suggest

AutoCraft Battery Cable, Top Post Terminal, 4 Gauge, 78" AC145/A2010478: Advance Auto Parts

Old 11-11-2015, 01:36 PM

So I took out the battery and all the cables look fine. I did notice a connector that was attached to the base of the battery box but its not connected to anything. Can anyone tell me what it does?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1447270454

I did find a loose connector, it looks like the tab that snaps it in is broken. I seems to connect fine but I don't know what it does or if it impacts the car in anyway. Any suggestions would be great

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...1&d=1447270454

Attached Thumbnails Lots of strange problems-wp_20151111_001%5B2%5D.jpg   Lots of strange problems-wp_20151111_002%5B1%5D.jpg  
Old 11-11-2015, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The plug was for a battery maintaining relay that was used to ship the vehicle and then removed by the dealer and returned to the factory. it has no effect on anything now and the battery box mount is just a holding spot to keep the wires from being damaged.

drossy007 (11-11-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
The plug was for a battery maintaining relay that was used to ship the vehicle and then removed by the dealer and returned to the factory. it has no effect on anything now and the battery box mount is just a holding spot to keep the wires from being damaged.
Thanks, do you know what the connector in the second picture does? I have just put everything back together and now the car runs really rough and the check engine light is still on.

Old 11-11-2015, 05:20 PM

Well, the car has gone into limp mode...I think. It wont let me go above 30 miles per hour but I can shift when I go into manual mode. I don't understand it, all I did was remove the battery and check everything was ok, and but the battery back and now the car runs like junk?

Old 11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I will take a look in the morning and get back to you on the connector. You need to get the codes read and post the results so we can help sort things out. Most auto supply stores do it for free. Make sure to write them down in the order they appear.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanks, I'm going to try to drive it to AutoZone to get them to read the codes

Old 11-11-2015, 07:56 PM

So I finally got the car to AutoZone, the car ran rough but I got there.
These are the codes they gave me

P1111
P0191
P0182
With having next to none automotive knowledge, I am hoping the experts here can help me.
Thanks

Old 11-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Veteran member

drossy, both of those codes deal with the fuel rail. P0182 is a low fuel rail temp, P0191 is a low fuel rail pressure. the low fuel pressure can be simply that the fuel rail got unplugged. This sensor is on the passenger side as I recall. The fuel rail temp sensor is probably in the same area. You can also chase the wiring to where the two sensors join wiring wise and then follow that towards the battery/brake booster. You may find that a connector got unplugged and that will fix your issue.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
drossy, both of those codes deal with the fuel rail. P0182 is a low fuel rail temp, P0191 is a low fuel rail pressure. the low fuel pressure can be simply that the fuel rail got unplugged. This sensor is on the passenger side as I recall. The fuel rail temp sensor is probably in the same area. You can also chase the wiring to where the two sensors join wiring wise and then follow that towards the battery/brake booster. You may find that a connector got unplugged and that will fix your issue.
That would be awesome, are there any pictures that would show me where they are?

Thanks again

Old 11-12-2015, 07:25 AM
Veteran member

drossy, I don't have any pictures. But, if you remove the plastic over the top of the engine, you should see the bright silver tubes under the intake that are connected to the fuel injectors. If you look over towards the passenger tire (US car) on the fuel rail, you will see where the fuel rail comes in. You will see some electrical connectors on this rail. One will be the fuel temp sensor, the other will be the fuel pressure sensor (the pressure one may have a vacuum line running to it too, don't recall off the top of my head).

Old 11-13-2015, 04:44 AM

I did find the sensor and everything looked fine. I am taking it to a jaguar service place this morning to see what's the problem and see how much it will cost to get fixed.
I'll let everyone know what the bad news will be.
Thanks again

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lots of strange problems