X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mismatched Dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Mismatched Dash

Hi, everyone. I'm looking at a 2008 with very low miles (21,000) but a branded title. It drives fine, no shimmy or wobble, it's quiet, and everything works. But, the top of the dash is what I would call a milk chocolate brown and the rest of the interior is ivory. Also, the wood trim on the dash and doors is maple, but on the center console it is walnut. Everything fits clean and tight with nice even gaps (where they should be) and no sign that any of these pieces have been replaced. I'm wondering if this mismatch is a sign of more significant repair than might be obvious. Any thoughts?

Old 01-10-2014, 02:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 266 Likes on 210 Posts

In all but one (full black) interior colour combinations the top of the dash, steering wheel column and the steering wheel itself are of some darker colour than the rest of the interior.

Can you post a link to the car? Easier to comment on the veneer that way.

The following users liked this post:
bdevenyvm (01-10-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 03:35 AM

Aonsaithya, Thanks. Yes, the top of the dash, steering wheel and column are darker. Less glare off the dash, I would suppose. I will have to take some photos to post the dash and console. The veneers are very clearly different. My other X-Type has a consistent maple veneer. I will try and do that tomorrow. Thanks again.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:32 AM
Veteran Member

Less glare is the likely reason, if you go to any luxury car manufacturer website and launch the configurator, you usually can't select any lighter colours for the top of the dash. Also, if the steering wheel that you touch with your bare hands all the time was ivory, it'd start looking dirty quickly.

I take it the 2008 car has automatic transmission? Just wondering, as I've fitted those auto-transmission veneer bits on my manual transmission car as they are directly compatible, however the ones I have are noticeably lighter in tone than the rest of the veneer in my car. However, I can't think of any normal reason those bits would've been replaced in an automatic car.

jimborino (05-19-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 09:30 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Carfax available? I would have prepurchase done at separate place. Ive recently purchased 06 w/19k. Love it so far.

bdevenyvm (01-10-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Default Dash Photo

Here's a photo of the dash showing the color mismatch in wood veneers. My shop tells me I can easily swap parts for the center console. Is it possible the car came from the factory this way?

Attached Thumbnails Mismatched Dash-img_1779.jpg  
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 AM

Hammerma68, thanks for advice. I talked to a local shop that knew the car and the seller and decided to go ahead because of the low mileage. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for a few miles, I'm sure.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:42 AM
Veteran Member

Ouch, that's a huge difference indeed. I can't imagine it'd have come from the factory like that, or the first owner would've made a complaint. Fortunately those two bits are easy to replace, as long as you find a matching replacement.

Are you sure your dash is maple? Underneath is a photo of my door trim, which is bird's eye maple, and you can see those little eye-like spots it is named after. When I got the car, I requested the details of it per VIN from Jaguar, and they included all the trim details (exterior, interior main, upper dash/steering/seatbelts/carpets, headlining, veneer).

Attached Thumbnails Mismatched Dash-veneer-birdseyemaple.jpg  
Old 01-12-2014, 09:05 AM

Wow, that's gorgeous. No my dash is not bird's eye like that. It is a light wood, even lighter than your photo. I didn't know you could order a report from Jaguar. I'll have to do that. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:23 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Interesting...

Maybe they replaced the console due to ??? The color of the trim is much different. Maybe the previous owner liked the maple and began the process of switching. Good luck with your purchase!

bdevenyvm (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 03:57 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

From the photo I'm almost certain that the dash is Bronze Stained Sapele, fitted to Classic & SE spec cars in the UK. The centre console is Burr Walnut and was only fitted to the Sovereign spec cars in the UK but I don't know about the US cars.

bdevenyvm (01-15-2014)
Old 01-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by WayneCountyBill
Maybe they replaced the console due to ??? The color of the trim is much different. Maybe the previous owner liked the maple and began the process of switching. Good luck with your purchase!
The thought crossed my mind, though I'd assume they would've attempted to switch to walnut as the ashtray and the gear surround are the easiest pieces to replace by far. Would've made sense to begin there...though I don't think anyone would begin a swap like that before having all the bits & pieces.

Originally Posted by hebally
From the photo I'm almost certain that the dash is Bronze Stained Sapele, fitted to Classic & SE spec cars in the UK. The centre console is Burr Walnut and was only fitted to the Sovereign spec cars in the UK but I don't know about the US cars.
I thought pomme sapelle (also called just "bronze wood" in the parts catalogue) was only in US cars? If it was indeed fitted in the UK as well, that'd explain why I've had the misfortune of getting a few of those too lightly stained pieces while looking for bird's eye maple...

bdevenyvm, I wonder whether my currently-fitted non-matching wooden bits would match your dash...?

Attached Thumbnails Mismatched Dash-wood-stain.jpg  

Last edited by Aonsaithya; 01-14-2014 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Well any sensible person but...........

Old 01-14-2014, 06:03 PM
Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

From the photo I'm almost certain that the dash is Bronze Stained Sapele, fitted to Classic & SE spec cars in the UK.
It does not match mine.

Having viewed the links below I wonder if I will ever get a match even if I pay out for the gear surround and ash tray.
The existing miss match on my car may just be variation in timbers but the doors, dash a steering wheel all match well.
All very puzzling.

Pommele Sapele Veneer In Stock

Sapele, Pommele 1 | Dooge Veneers, Inc.

Sapele | The Wood Database - Lumber Identification (Hardwoods)

or a Google search of images for sapele pommele shows a large variation of colours etc

Old 01-15-2014, 04:17 AM

Aonsaithya, the lighter color wood in your photo is a close match. Fortunately, those pieces in the 2004 X-Type I bought match the dash in the 2008 so the shop is swapping them out. Two cars in 3 weeks -- it's a long story.