X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

mondeo 2.5 zetec-s vs x-type 3.0 sport

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 07:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mondeo 2.5 zetec-s vs x-type 3.0 sport

A couple of guys on my first post suggested i do a mondy/x comparison, right now I’m rather bored at work so here goes,
I have only had the X a couple of days so it may not be as accurate as some would agree

Mondeo specs

2001/51 plate
2.5l v6 24v
0-60 approx 8.6
171 bhp

X type specs

2002/02 plate
3.0 v6
0-60 approx 6.6
230 bhp

Mondeo pros

Surprisingly economical,
Fantastic sporty look,
Global opening/closing,
18" wheels sets it apart From the rest of the Mondeo crowd,

X type pros

Drive is superb
Fantastic sporty look
Jaguar flip key
Beautiful inside and out
Very fast yet relaxing/comfortable car

Mondeo cons

Very solid, sometimes uncomfortable ride,
Not as fast as you would expect from a 2.5 v6,
seating position isn’t the most comfortable,
Standard interior is rather plain and unimaginative.

X type cons

Climate control can be a bit of a pain in the a***,
No rear wipe as is standard on most saloon cars (this is personably just noticeable to me against the Mondeo)
Could do with lumbar support for the long journeys
no sunglasses holder (only something small but you notice when you used to have one)

What the Mondeo has that the x hasn’t

Lumbar support, heated front windscreen, sunglasses holder, global opening/closure (the jag only has total closure), front cup holders, traction control that can be turned off, EBA (fantastic emergency braking assistance system that would have benefited the x-type no end), a well displayed analogue clock (personal preference but the jag only has a digital clock on the stereo which will be gone when i replace it)

What the x has that the Mondeo hasn’t

Full electric leather seats, climate control, all wheel drive, rear cup holders, courtesy headlight button on the key fob, jag flip key (major plus for me), parking sensors, vc

Overall

The jag is by far the better drive, there are however a few things I would take from the mondy and put on the jag for instance the braking on the ford feels so much more solid and responsive whereas the jags brakes feel slightly spongy, although this could be my car in particular and the eba really is a an astonishing feature for the Mondeo which I personally think should be fitted to every car! Other than that there are very few bad things I have to say about the x, lack of lumbar support, fiddly climate control, the absence of heated front windscreen is more than made up for by the plush leather interior that really does hug you, the superb ride quality (even for a sport model) is something you just cant ignore and you can feel how well put together and solidly made everything is.
Issues with my particular car include the passenger door which wont open from the outside, drivers door doesn’t lock with the remote and has to be locked with the key, the paintwork really does need some tlc, and there is a rather heavy clunk upon release of the clutch on start off but aside from the clunk which sounds like the clutch or tc, these are very minor issues for a vehicle with 105,000 miles that cost £1500!!

Any views or help with any of these issues i would really like you input/ help with

As for the Mondeo, I owned it for 2 and a half years and covered just over 50,000 miles in it, the only issues I had with it was the fuel pump which gave out at approx 98,000 miles, two sets of ht leads, 2 sets of tyres, a set of brake pads and a track rod end, other than those I never even had to replace a bulb!! Extremely reliable, fantastic looking sporty car, I would almost certainly have another, only a later, face-lifted version with more toys

Last edited by chiliv6; 01-13-2011 at 08:18 AM. Reason: layout change