X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Multiple Misfires on Bank 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Multiple Misfires on Bank 1

Hello everyone, I have a bit of a mystery here. I have a 2002 X-Type 3.0 giving me codes: 300, 0301, 0303, 0305, 1313, and 1000. I know what all the codes mean, I just don't believe it's the coils or plugs. My car started losing power one morning and now can only roughly accelerate to around 2600-2900 RPM's then stutter and loses power.
I had the "check engine light" looked at and I received all three cylinder misfires at once. I also can hear a little rattling here and there when I drive it. Is it possible I need a new Catalytic Converter on Bank 1? I have read before that a bad CC can cause the engine to shut down cylinders 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 in order to avoid damaging the engine.
*I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and put new spark plugs, upper,lower air intake gaskets, and IMT O-rings in the manifold when I did it.
I also replaced the O2 sensor for Bank 2 sensor 2 recently. I know I haven't eliminated the possibility of bad coil packs but it seems a little odd all three have gone out at once. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate the help! Thank you!

Old 02-16-2016, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I don't think the catalytic converter will cause the problem you are seeing. I would suspect that either the coil connections or the coils are the problem.
You stated you changed the valve cover gaskets, it's possible they are leaking oil and fouling the coils. If the the spark plug wells are filled with oil.
It may also be bad plug gap and they have begin to foul.
I would pull the plug and coil pack on Number 1 and move it to the front and see if the problem travels with it.
You might also have bad connections to the coils themselves from the wire connectors.
The rattle you here is most likely from the misfire.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

It might be the cat. Ways to check it include IR gun, borescope, or gentle tapping.

Old 02-18-2016, 12:37 PM

Thank you for the feedback. avern1 I moved the plug and coils around and the problem still persists with no oil leaks, I haven't looked into the coil wires yet but all the connectors look fine all look to be in good shape. I appreciate the feedback. Jag48 I read a blog recently about this same situation with these codes and the catalytic converter being the cause. I disconnected the exhaust at the exhaust converter outlet and it is still persisting. I'm baffled because I'm not getting any other codes referring to the Cat or O2 sensors or anything similar. Have ever encountered this before? Is it referred to as the the "rear converter"? I truly appreciate all the help and perspective guys! Thank you.

Old 02-18-2016, 05:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by cpagejag
Hello everyone, I have a bit of a mystery here. I have a 2002 X-Type 3.0 giving me codes: 300, 0301, 0303, 0305, 1313, and 1000. I know what all the codes mean, I just don't believe it's the coils or plugs. My car started losing power one morning and now can only roughly accelerate to around 2600-2900 RPM's then stutter and loses power.
I had the "check engine light" looked at and I received all three cylinder misfires at once. I also can hear a little rattling here and there when I drive it. Is it possible I need a new Catalytic Converter on Bank 1? I have read before that a bad CC can cause the engine to shut down cylinders 1-3-5 or 2-4-6 in order to avoid damaging the engine.
*I recently replaced the valve cover gaskets and put new spark plugs, upper,lower air intake gaskets, and IMT O-rings in the manifold when I did it.
I also replaced the O2 sensor for Bank 2 sensor 2 recently. I know I haven't eliminated the possibility of bad coil packs but it seems a little odd all three have gone out at once. If anyone has any advice I would appreciate the help! Thank you!
With all that work done recently, and the symptoms described, is it possible that an electrical connection is not correctly attached somewhere, those are an unusual combination of lights.
How did it run before that work was completed?

Old 02-19-2016, 06:34 AM
Veteran Member

Since you swapped the plug and coil pack around and didn't get the misfire to follow I think it is safe to assume that is not the problem. The cutting out at about 2600 RPM is probably the ECU helping to prevent Cat damage.
Do you have a scanner that will give you fuel trims. It is possible that the 02 sensors is giving a false reading and over-fueling the rear bank causing misfire. But I would tend to lean towards a vacuum leak effecting the rear bank. It might still be the rear manifold gaskets but since you have had it off and back on I tend to not think the problem lies there. You might want to double check the IMT o-ring conditions.
It also still possible, as mentioned an electrical connection, but I can't think of one that would effect only one bank.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Default Fixed it!

Thank you everyone for your help, I'm embarrassed to say it was all three coil packs after all. After I had moved some of them around to see if the trouble followed I went to O'Reilly's to have the codes read again and the kid down there gave me bad information, he read the same codes back to me as before. I ended up getting a computer of my own and then checking the codes and found out the trouble actually did follow where I had moved the coils to. Whew! As I've heard said to me so much in the past; it pays to have your own tools! Thank you again for the help guys!

Old 02-26-2016, 03:30 PM
Veteran Member

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Don't see many other members from Omaha. I will have to send you a PM and we can get together sometime.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Glad you got it all sorted. You mentioned it just started one morning and before that everything was ok? Just seems odd that three coils would all go bad at the same time. But, the important thing is that is is back running well.