X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car went into limp mode

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 04:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car went into limp mode

I was runnings some errands this morning and sudenly the car went to limp mode, I drove the car back home (5mph LOL) and I grab my truck and finish with the rest of my stuff, 2 hous later I plug my diagnostics scanner and to my surprise no hard DTC's except for P1582 wich is the flight data recorder stored on throtle body, I'm waiting for the TOPix subscritpion from jaguar to do deep scan on the car.
But I thinks the throtle body needs some repair, anybody else had the same problem before?
thanks guys

Old 06-22-2013, 06:45 PM
Location: That Rectangular Hole in the Consciousness of America
Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

donpatos,

When you checked the car later for codes, did you start it?

Was it still in Limp Mode?

If not, and since you had no hard codes other than the P1582, I would suspect the famous vacuum leak syndrome: a quick, intermittent vacuum leak makes the car think it's had a stroke and it starts limping.

Normally, just pulling over, stopping and restarting the engine will make it (limp mode) go away, but any number of weird and untrue codes will be tossed into the mix.

If you put "Vacuum Leak" into the forum search tool, and use the advanced options to narrow down the results to the X-Type, you will get more than 500 returns. After reading a few of those, you will learn where all the common places for the leaks are, and see all the weird codes a leak can throw.

The fix is usually less than $20 USD, and is sometimes just a bit of duct tape!

Happy hunting and Best 'o luck!

Old 06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

hi donpatos

yep - i've had that. in my view, the operation of this car in "limp mode" associated with this problem is potentially very dangerous - eg , you lose all effective power with no warning. In heavy traffic it creates genuine brown trouser moments!!!! So you will want to get a permanent fix is my guess. Here is my experience.

Back in the days when I was taking the car to a jag dealer to fix problems, I had a P1582 after a limp home episode ( they told me that they also pulled the following codes: U2509, p0121, p1111, b2477, u2614, p1573, bia65-96, bia66-96, p0121). Inside the car, i was getting dsc and gearbox fault messages. This was back in october 2011.

Many of the codes related to known problems i had at the time with coolant system and a radiator fan on the way out. For the throttle related issues, the jag techs recommended a throttle body clean - it worked for about 12 months, then we had the same issue. Then i took the throttle body off muself and gave it a clean - at which point i noticed the upsteam side of the butterfly valve in the throttle body was much cleaner than the downstream side............ Which means the previous clean was done without removing the throttle body which would have saved some time i suppose. Anyway, i now do this clean as part of routine maintenance to keep the car running without problem.

It may not be your problem but equally it may be. to get at the throttle body is fairly easy and for the sake of a $10 can of throttle body cleaner and an hour of your time worth a go. Replacing the throttle body can be expensive - Our car has now done about 35,000 km in the 20 months or so since we had the first problem with the throttle body - and i'm therefore optimistic that routine cleaning is not just a case of "delaying the inevitable tp replacement" ......... hope i am not talking too soon!!!

Best of luck with that problem and please keep us all informed about how you resolve it!!

Old 06-24-2013, 12:39 AM

After a nice afternoon working on the car, I replace the gaskets from the throtle body and the vacuum hose from the intake to the bake booster, what I notice also was a little bit of noise and also you can hear air leaking from the catalyst coverter, I lift the car and using a stethoscope I confirm that the catalyst is damaged, so tomorrow I'm heading to the muffler shop to take care of that and hopefully fixing that the car works better. I will keep you guys updated

Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 PM

My car literally just did this tonight on my way home from work. I was on the boulevard and randomly I got the dsc system fault and engine system fault an the car was in limp mode and it was idling at about 2k rpm. So when I got home I shut the car off for a few minutes and turned it back on. After I turned it on everything went back to normal as if nothin ever happened. I drove the car around for several miles and it was totally fine. Literally like nothing ever happened. However I do have a CEL and when I scanned it a couple weeks ago I got the P1000 code which I read was a diagnostics issue and typically not a big deal. I just hope I don't have a costly repair heading my way. So yes please keep us updated and if anyone can chime in on my issue if anyone could help that would be great. I planned on taking it to the jaguar dealership to have it diagnosed