X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My X-Type and it's Problems (Trouble Codes)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My X-Type and it's Problems (Trouble Codes)

Ok, I have a Jaguar X-Type VDP AWD. Back in February I ran the codes on the car because the Check Engine Light, ABS light and occasionally the "Cruise Not Available" warning light(constant jerking when increased acceleration) would illuminate.

So as a I take it to the Jaguar dealership to see what was wrong, they responded saying that in order to run a diagnostic to see what codes I have, it would cost me ~$135. So I said, skip that, and went to Autozone where they ran my codes for free. As they ran my codes, I received the P0174 and P0171 trouble codes. Under Ford, that means that my troubles lie in a Mass Air Flow Sensor (P0174) and Speed Sensor (P0171). But that didn't really explain why the Cruise Not Available error (which was so annoying/embarrassing) was happening.
So I take it back to the Jaguar dealership and they tell me that my PCV hoses and Vacuum Hoses have 'melted'. I figured if it's a PCV hose (or even a valve) I can just buy new pieces and replace them myself (takes 10 mins). But since it was a vacuum hose that may have been leaking(and that could be numerous places), then I might as well just take it to Jaguar and have them do it. So I take it to them and pay to have it done, but as I check the invoice, they charged me about ~$225 to replace the PCV hose & valve and said that my Vacuum hoses were fine (WTF!). Anyway, the guy from Jaguar said that the Check Engine Light and the ABS light was still there, but the Cruise Not Available shouldn't reoccur anymore(which is does not). So he said he'll clear my codes and remove the Check Engine Light(It was back on before I could even get home).
Now after going to Autozone to go and purchase a Mass Air Flow cleanser to see if that would eliminate the problem, I now have the codes P1000(Which is probably because the guy from Jaguar cleared my codes) and now C1165. I just cleaned my Mass Air Flow Sensor and it was pretty dirty, now my Jag accelerates better, but the two lights were still there (ABS & Check Engine). The guy from Autozone cleared the codes again (Check Engine Light gone(hopefully forever)).
But does the C1165 code mean that my rear right sensor is out? Speed sensor? CV joint? Sensor ring? Can a Jaguar genius or someone who has been through what I've been through or something similar help me out in this situation? Thanks…
Regards.
Q. Blaze

Last edited by Jaguarcollector; 06-07-2010 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Put all Codes in BOLD
Old 05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Question

My ABS & Check engine light are on currently. My cruise control does not work at all right now, lights have been on for about 2 weeks. I think I might need a speed sensor to remove ABS light (probably 150 installed).I am taking mine in for service this weekend to remove the codes. I would love to compare notes. 03 X 2.5 litre

Old 05-25-2010, 08:05 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

P0174 is "Bank 2 lean". P0171 is "Bank 1 lean". Oxygen sensors in both banks are detecting too much oxygen in the exhaust (or more accurately, the ECM still can't correct the air-fuel ratio even though it is trying to add more fuel). This could be caused by a dirty MAF or a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF (air not 'seen' my the MAF is getting sucked into the manifold). Likely causes are the air valve O-rings or a crack in the PVC hose. Do a search - these items have been discussed many times. Other causes might be leaky O-rings between upper and lower intake manifolds.

Last edited by MarkC; 05-25-2010 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lennyjodon
My ABS & Check engine light are on currently. My cruise control does not work at all right now, lights have been on for about 2 weeks. I think I might need a speed sensor to remove ABS light (probably 150 installed).I am taking mine in for service this weekend to remove the codes. I would love to compare notes. 03 X 2.5 litre
When you took it in, what were the results?
What needed fixing and did it actually fix your Jaguar's issues?

Originally Posted by MarkC
P0174 is "Bank 2 lean". P0171 is "Bank 1 lean". Oxygen sensors in both banks are detecting too much oxygen in the exhaust (or more accurately, the ECM still can't correct the air-fuel ratio even though it is trying to add more fuel). This could be caused by a dirty MAF or a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF (air not 'seen' my the MAF is getting sucked into the manifold). Likely causes are the air valve O-rings or a crack in the PVC hose. Do a search - these items have been discussed many times. Other causes might be leaky O-rings between upper and lower intake manifolds.
So, you don't think it's the CV joints, more like leaky O-rings?
I've bought a MAF cleanser and have cleaned it out, it was dirty, and then cleared the codes, yet the Check Engine Light returned.
If you read what I said in the first post, I mentioned that I had PVC hose and valve replaced by Jaguar, yet the problem still remains.
When I got the safety inspection, they gave me an invoice full of notes of things that I needed done, I've attached pics of what they said was wrong, in a list, in details and what they actually fixed when I clearly requested the PCV and Vacuum Hoses to be replaced.

Attached Thumbnails My X-Type and it's Problems (Trouble Codes)-img_1272.jpg   My X-Type and it's Problems (Trouble Codes)-img_1271.jpg   My X-Type and it's Problems (Trouble Codes)-img_1273.jpg  

Last edited by Jaguarcollector; 05-31-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:29 PM

Any help is greatly appreciated

Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
Default engine codes

I found out that I needed a right side speed sensor ( I thought that I did )
this corrected the engine light and my cruise is back working properly. Also I needed a O2 sensor (probably could have cleaned it, but already ordered it) Speed senor $ 60 and O2 sensor was $48 labor $ 75 Total $182 plus tax.
Also I recieved some info through this forum concerning all engine codes. Its about 100 pages, I will send it to you if you would like. you can probably see it in the forum through our responses. Check lennyjodon

Lenny

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 PM

I found out that I needed a right side speed sensor ( I thought that I did )
this corrected the engine light and my cruise is back working properly. Also I needed a O2 sensor (probably could have cleaned it, but already ordered it) Speed senor $ 60 and O2 sensor was $48 labor $ 75 Total $182 plus tax.
Also I recieved some info through this forum concerning all engine codes. Its about 100 pages, I will send it to you if you would like. you can probably see it in the forum through our responses. Check lennyjodon

Lenny
Did you have the same codes or an ABS light on as well?.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Default codes

Blaze.. no I didnt have the exact same codes as you did, But my ABS light was on.

Old 06-06-2010, 08:47 PM

I had P 1647 was the right hand speed sensor, and P1111 was O2 sensor

Old 06-07-2010, 09:45 AM

Ok, thanks for some assistance

Old 08-11-2010, 08:27 AM

Also I recieved some info through this forum concerning all engine codes. Its about 100 pages, I will send it to you if you would like.
yes, please