Need constructive input asap

Old 04-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need constructive input asap

So, i have a 2003 jaguar x type 3.0L with about 110,xxx i

Old 04-16-2014, 06:42 PM
Default Need constructive input asap

So, this is my second X type. Its a 2003 jaguar x type 3.0L with about 110,xxx miles on her. yesterday while driving to the nearest gas station my water pump tensioner pulley disintegrated and caused my water pump belt to start shredding apart. I pulled over immediately and watched my coolant evaporate out of the air intake (that goes into the air filter box). I have ordered another belt and tensioner pulley, but still am worried about the loss of coolant. I left her there, about ten miles away. I will have both parts in within two days. What could be the reason(s) for my coolant loss? what else may have been effected? Could my water pump need replacing as well? bare in mind I never reached past 3/4s on the temp gauge, and never got hot enough for a warning light. Any help will be most appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 PM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Originally Posted by xtype3point0
So, i have a 2003 jaguar x type 3.0L with about 110,xxx i
Welcome to the forum xtype3point0,

I've merged your two threads with the same title together. You appear to be having problems posting a question .....?

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 04-16-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 06:48 PM
Default fixed it

i believe I have fixed it GGG. Thank you

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Default fixed

I believe YOU have fixed my post problem GGG. Thank you. My X type however is stranded just 10 miles away...

Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 AM
GGG
Received 16,758 Likes on 12,147 Posts

Inconvenient though it is to have the vehicle stuck ten miles from home, you did exactly the right thing not attempting to drive it any further after a coolant loss.

Jaguar temperature gauges haven't the best of reputations. The engine is usually overheated before they even move.

The sudden spike in coolant temperature and loss are probably due to nothing more that the belt tensioner disintegrating but could be:

1. split hose
2. Water Pump bearing seized (item 2)
3. the thermostat stuck (item 5)
4. Expansion Tank pressure cap failed (item 4)

Need constructive input asap-x-type-cooling.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

You can check the water pump by simply spinning the pulley before fitting the new belt. It needs the new tensioner fitted and then refilled to check for leaks from hoses. Rather than use expensive coolant for this, water will be adequate to get you home (provided everything else checks out when the engine is started) where you can drain and refill with the correct concentration of coolant once the engine has cooled down again.

Graham

Old 04-17-2014, 03:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

xtype3point0, like GGG said, you can probably just replace the tensioner and belt, top off some coolant and go from there till you can get in your driveway and put the finishing touches on the kitty.

As for the belt going, that can be something as simple as the pulley on the tensioner failed and seized, resulting in the pulley getting hot, failing and taking the belt with it. It could also be that the water pump seized and that caused the tensioner to be flexed too far and that lead to its failure, which then took out the belt. Spin the water pump by hand and see what you have. It will be obvious if the water pump seized. From there, replace what you need to and get the car home. The drive back will tell you if you need to replace more stuff.

Granted, the other thing to consider is to have the car towed/hauled home and then you can work on the car in your driveway and simply do all the repairs you need when you have time and have all the tools right there at the ready. But, that is also a few more dollars out of your wallet too.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Default thanks guys

major thanks to you both graham and thermo. I am getting the second part in tommorrow. I definitely will be checking the resistance of the water pump to see if it did seize, before I attach the new ribbed pulley for the tensioner and belt. I believe from the location I had seen the coolant evaporate that I have a split on my lower radiator hose near where it t's off. once i get her home I plan on replacing the water pump, possibly the whole tensioner(still has tension but original), and whatever is needed

Old 04-17-2014, 10:49 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

3point, I wish you lived closer to me. I have been running through my coolant system and know my way around that part of the car. LIke was mentioned, replace the tensioner and/or water pump, put some water in the car and then see what you have at that point. Then if you have any additional work, you simply drain out the water and go from there.