X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help buying the X-Type

Old 06-02-2013, 06:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help buying the X-Type

Hello Everyone,
I need a little help with buying the x-type 2.5. I really love the design of this car but a lot of people are telling me not to buy a jag. I've been told, maintenance is high, the car breaks down a lot and of course insurance is high. And my mechanic says if I buy with low millage it will be fine for a few years.

I just want to find out if there is any truth to this. Is the x-type really that bad? I'm looking at models between 2002 to 2008. How low millage should I consider and what else should I look out for?

Any advise from experienced owners on buying a used jag would be a huge help for me. Thanks.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Hey there and welcome aboard....... good to have you here with us here at Jaguarforums

The top tip is, buy as late a model as you can, the earlier versions had a few issues here n there, nearly all of which were resolved by around 2004, so an 05 / 06 should be good for you.

Obviously check service records and such as you would normally.

The 2.5 and 3.0 are both AWD cars with the Transfer case as the point to watch ( supposedly sealed for life - most every X owner here gets the fluid change done )

The X type gurus will pile in with sound solid advice soon I'm sure

Good luck

Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 386 Likes on 284 Posts

i have a 2002 2.5 5speed no major problems here
i have more problems with my wifes 2011 bmw 535xi ,but all cars have there own issues
my engine runs smooth transfer case is bullet proof due to taking care of the fluids
and i just drive it easy

i would suggest find one with low miles

Attached Thumbnails Need help buying the X-Type-20130526_211910_zps8e674f49.jpg   Need help buying the X-Type-jagq3.jpg   Need help buying the X-Type-quad-pipes-b.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 09:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys.
Aside from the regular oil changes, what other fluids should I check regularly?

Old 06-04-2013, 11:46 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

I am also looking at getting an X-type, but the ones I am looking at at 2002 models. What are the problems the early models had? I am looking at one with 156k miles ($4,500) and another with only 84k miles ($6,000). Both of them state they are the original owner, and that all scheduled maintenance has been done on them.

Jim

Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts
Default My Two Cents...Wait It is a Jag...My Five Dollars Worth

My personal - personal input: I had a budget in place: a budget for the car and a budget for repairs. I kept my 2007 Mazda Three Five Door (previous vehicle was a 2002 Mazda Protege5). When I took delivery, I joined the JCO for resources. I found a GREAT GREAT mechanic - 35 years with Jaguar and "master certified." I had all fluids changed, plugs changed, inspected about three times. I feel to be very blessed. No major issues. New tires, new front brake pads, new water pump (and I drove the car with a bad water pump for six months - less than $200 to fix and the water pump of course was new out of the box), new left rear control arm, very minor cosmetic changes. You need to have a plan in place. Go with your heart but go with a back up plan and some smarts. Good luck!

The following 2 users liked this post by WayneCountyBill:
JimC64 (06-05-2013), Nighteyez (06-05-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19 AM

Thanks for the info. I have a friend who is a mechanic, works on everything (restores hot rods mostly, but does do other mechanical stuff as well) So the mechanic part is covered, just wasn't sure about all the negative things being said about the early models. Still I am seeing people who have had no issues with them too.

I will of course chat with both owners of the ones I am looking at to see if either of them had any major problems with their cars. I like the $4,500 price of the one, but think I would be better off getting the one with less than 100k on it. They are both black with sunroofs (my preferred color, and must have option) but the 6k one also has a black interior which I prefer over the gray of the other one. I will keep my Ford Bronco, as the main reason for getting the Jag was to be a daily driver, so I can save money on fuel costs.

Jim

Old 06-05-2013, 02:23 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Nighteyes/Evalina, the 02/03/early04 cars had a transfer case with a viscous coupling in it to split the power front to rear. Due to the design (and I think a bad setup from the factory), this style transfer case was prone to the bearings failing if you were hard on the gas (ie, liked to jump light to light, frequent shifts with the engine RPM over 4,000, etc). You drive it sensibly and only abuse the power in limited applications, the car will last forever. The later cars did not have the viscous coupling in them so the power shift front to rear is referred to as an "open" system (ie, if a single wheel starts to slip, it is going to take all the power from other 3 wheels). So, if you get a newer X-Type, make sure that it has the DSC (Dynamic Stability Control) in the car. This will be obvious as you sit in the car as you can look down and next to the gear shift will be 2 buttons, one marked "S" (sport mode, if you want to know about this, let me know, but all X-Types have this button) and then the other will be "DSC". if you only have the one button, you don't have DSC.

As for longevity of the transfer case, I have 142K on my car, original transfer case and I have an 03 car. No noises and no signs that the transfer case is going to fail on me. Personally, I would rather have the earlier cars since the transfer case works much better in adverse weather.

As for maintenance, this car is not any worse than other vehicles I have owned. The cost of the parts is a little more, but if you know where to buy stuff, it isn't that bad. Working on the X-Type is just like working on any Ford product. Jag was owned by Ford during these years, so, the concept of how the car is built and maintained is very similar to any Ford vehicle. So, if you have some mechanical ability, you can do pretty much anything you want to this car.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
JimC64 (06-05-2013), Nighteyez (06-05-2013), Stuart Beattie (06-10-2013)
Old 06-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Thank you Thermo. I don't feel so bad now about my decision to buy an X-Type. I am 55 and my jack rabbit start days are long gone, especially since I am the one who has to pay the repair bills when something breaks. I have been doing a lot of research on this model, and it seems most of the negative stuff being said by magazine writers was just personal opinions. I did read that the transfer case was the weak link only because the platform Jag was forced to use was not designed for AWD and basically had no room for a transfer case. So they ended up putting a smaller one in then they wanted. In any case, I am going to go ahead with my decision to get one, and should be a happy camper within two weeks. )

Jim

The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (06-05-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 10:01 PM

Found an '02 black on black 3.0 Sport with sunroof, and only 59k miles. Owner wants $5,900 for it. have to wait to get my check, but if it is still available it will be mine.

Jim

Old 06-08-2013, 07:06 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cost/km

Don't worry if you are about to put some money down on an elderly X Type. With the right treatment, these cars age like fine wine ........... well, sort of!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is definitely more reliable and trustworthy now than it was when I bought it. Driving it continues to give a sense of calm, security and well being. I recently came back from Berlin where I spent a week or so in the company of a brand new Mercedes C Class 'blue efficiency" diesel wagon. That car was great, very taught, - a nice drive although it quickly ran out of puff on the autobahn. I expected the Jag to feel like an old nail when I got back in but no - in most aspects, it held up pretty good in comparison to the Merc. But the ace up the sleeve for the jag as far as I'm concerned - the cosy, olde worlde, wood panelled "smoking room" interior does it for me every time when contrasted with the more modern, minimal, "less is more" interior of the Merc. It's a personal preference thing.

Anyhow, you get where I'm coming from; X types - brilliant cars. Ownership way more than counting dollars and cents and worrying about the odd mechanical issue: however, that stuff is important too so I offer up a summary spreadsheet of my mechanical issues and their costs. You'll see I initially had my fair share of trouble and it cost alot because I took the easiest and most expensive (and somewhat satisfying) option of going to the Jag dealer to fix those problems. More recently I have had some success using the amazing body of knowledge offered up (for free!!) on this site to troubleshoot and fix a few issues + to get routine and preventative maintenance tasks completed that in some instances, the dealers and delaer alternatives will not perform for you. I estimate that taking this approach has saved me several thousand $'s and extended the life of the car significantly (so thankyou Jaguar Forums!!!!). The car is in good shape, no suggestion that bodywork or engine (or anything else right now) are about to give way.

My long term cost per km assuming 100% depreciation is currently $0.64/km, or $0.58/km if I assume the car still has a value of $3000. The car has not left me at the side of the road since Oct 2011 and the Cost/km for the last year of motoring was approximately $0.30/km. If I keep the car another year, I am estimating the cumulative cost/km will be right down to about what the CAA say a Honda Civic costs. So thats not bad!!!

My one thought - these cars are not all that suitable if all they are used for is short urban journeys. In cold weather, gas consumption will exceed 15, 16 even 17 Litres/100 and the 60 litre tank needs more juice every 350km's. On longer highway runs at economic speed, you can achieve under 9 litres per 100 and over 600km's between refills (mine is a 2004 wagon with the 3.0 V6). (And the Blue Efficiency Diesel Merc? - somewhere around 6 litres per 100 which is just utterly amazing - german efficiency)

Good luck!!

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
2004 X Type Cost Summary.pdf (182.8 KB, 168 views)
Stuart Beattie (06-18-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 09:33 AM

Well, that is what did it for me. When I sat in the white on white 2003 X-Type at the dealer lot two blocks from here, I KNEW I was going to buy one. I decided to check Autotrader tho to see if I could find one cheaper, and I have. I love the real wood, and the excess of leather. Originally I was going to buy this as a daily driver, however, I am thinking this will be my pampered baby, and I'll just find something else to be the daily driver.

Jim

Old 06-10-2013, 05:31 AM
Veteran Member
Received 210 Likes on 172 Posts

Good Luck and happy driving!
Stu

Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X Types aren't Toyotas. They won't leave you stuck in the middle of nowhere, but there's generally something you've just got fixed, you're fixing, or you're thinking about fixing. In return, it's a car you look back at when you're walking away from it, it's quick and comfortable on the freeway, it's really fun on highways with curves and opportunities for overtaking, and it's absolutely superb in heavy rain and snow. Plus, if deep down you're really shallow, it's a Jag.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 PM

Interesting. Part of me is buying it because it is a Jag, but honestly, the interior is what did it for me. Haven't even test drove one yet, but I will before I lay down my cash. However, it maybe be a couple of weeks, as I have spent the last week in the VA hospital due to a bout with pneumonia.

Jim

Last edited by Nighteyez; 06-17-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear that Jim,
Rest ye well and when you are back up to your good self, we at Jagforum and the Guys and Gals wish you a speedy recovery and swift reparations of you dreams and desires!
We hope to hear from you soon and cannot wait for your update ....... Jim.... We are watching this space waiting for your tales of Grace, Pace and Space with a beeming smile on your face, good on you Buddy. hang in there!
Best Regards, Stu

Old 06-19-2013, 11:02 AM

Well, the beaming face may have to wait a bit as I was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. I was released from the hospital as the pneumonia seems to be subsiding now. However, during their testing, they found I have CLL, which is a cancer of the blood according to them. They also want to do a bone marrow test tomorrow to see if I have leukemia as well. Currently I feel fine, even emotionally I don't feel that bad, but I think that is because i woke up in my own bed this morning instead of the hospital. I am sure once this sinks in, I will feel differently. However, it is not going to stop me from by an X-Type. I am just waiting on a settlement check from an accident I had 2 years ago when a minivan driver hit me while I was riding my bike to the store. Once that gets here I will get an X.

Jim

Old 06-19-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nighteyez
I am also looking at getting an X-type, but the ones I am looking at at 2002 models. What are the problems the early models had? I am looking at one with 156k miles ($4,500) and another with only 84k miles ($6,000). Both of them state they are the original owner, and that all scheduled maintenance has been done on them.

Jim
I will sell you my jag for $5000
2002 Jaguar X-type 5-speed. 4wd. very fast. 3.0 litre engine. Black/Black leather & Walnut interior.plugs changed at 50,000 miles.Serviced at jaguar dealership. recently replaced rear tires, well maintained. some paint issues all eletrics in good working order.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Nighteyez

i know cll can mean a variety of thigs - i truely bope it means something up towards the more positive end of the spectrum for you.

best wishes from up here in Canada.

Stuart Beattie (06-20-2013)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:14 AM
Veteran Member

Good Day Jim,
I am sorry to hear your plight, the right X Type will wait, we wish you well and hope you are comfortable too?
Whatever you do, Keep your dreams alive and kicking...Good Luck
Stu

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help buying the X-Type