Sponsored by:

New guy! Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 08:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Default RE: New guy! Questions

I can help with the first one
Its tiny a fan which carries on running in humid conditions to circulate the air so you dont get blasted by warm air when you use your climate control.It circulates air across the humidity sensor. It keeps running for a while after you switch off, and starts again when you open a door. It does this so that there is less delay in getting the climate control to the right setting when you switch on (or restart).

Old 12-01-2006, 09:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Let me see if I can answer your question in the order you ask.

1. The answer Buck gave you is correct

2. Yes, it will plug and play and auto leveling should work since it gets it power from the same wire

3. Whenever you make a turn and hear that squeak, there is a good possiblity that it is the CVU joint. A bad bushing will squeak all the time.

4. No, the alignment should be no problem Actually if you did not disturb your tierod ends, in other words, you didn't rotate them....you should not need an alignement. I dropped my car 6 months ago...no signs of wear and have about 8K miles on it since the drop.

5. You can replace the switch, and all shuld work fine. If you want the auto feature to work you will need the sensor that goes on the left corner in your dash.

6. Sounds like you got a great deal to me. Seems fair.

Old 12-02-2006, 02:24 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install the springs yourself or did you pay a shop? If you don't mind, how much should it cost for labor? I want to make sure I wasn't ripped off.

Old 12-02-2006, 05:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wassup cobra,
i got an 03 also, im dying to put on the h1 xenon kit and drop the car, but i dont want to void my warranty. do you know if those 2 mods will do that? i have a black on black 5 speed w/ 20% tints all around, i think dropping it would add a whole new level to the car. Did you lose alot of ride quality with the drop, i dont want to put on stiff shocks either, i have a 300zx twin turbo as my rough ride, the jag is for style..

Old 12-02-2006, 06:39 AM

i have lowered everything from a mustang to a suzuki suv, and all of them suffered a good amount of ride quality loss. the suzuki was the worst, but i also lowered it the most - 2.75". even with some specific custom shocks that were in a limited run and actually going with a bigger sidewall on the tire the truck bounced like hell when i hit a bump.

i noticed quite a difference on my X when i switched wheels from the stock 16" to 18", and the sidewall only went from 55 to 40. i think it's a safe bet that the ride will be more harsh. if you have the chance and have never done so before, take a ride in a lowered vehicle before you do anything to yours. it is..... an acquired taste, or rather a trade off - looks for ride.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

To answer your question....I did it myself, took approx 5 hrs...very easy to be honest but then again I've been messing with cars for over 20 years now...

As for cost, I'm guessing the average shop charges 75 an hr? 75x5=375 for labor....plus the 4 wheel alignment maybe another 100....this is just an average...might be more might be less....

As for the ride quality. The good is that the dam chicken squat on accelaration is finally gone and the nose dive when braking is gone. Car looks sexy lowered and you will find it's a completly differnt beast. One of the few cars I can honestly say looks great when lowered.

The bad. As mentioned above my post, the ride is a bit hard, the smallest pot hole sounds like a giant one. But, overall....if i had to do it all over again, yes, because the cars feels and handles 10x's better, looks fantastic and i'm willing to bet that if i was on a track, the numbers would be better than stock....oh and cornering...just amazing...no bodyroll as with the stock springs.....remember, the lower the car is the better the handling.....

good luck...

Old 12-02-2006, 04:24 PM

My ride quality didn't suffer much, but again I'm use to driving my SC300 with sport/track springs and shocks. You are correct about the pot hole thing.

Old 12-02-2006, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This might seem like a stupid question but what is the difference in suspension between a regular x and a sport? Also anyone whom has done a drop what size wheels and tires do you have? Or at least the profile of the tire???

Old 12-02-2006, 11:02 PM

i believe height-wise they are the same, but the sport springs are much stiffer than the regular, hence making the ride a bit more harsh from a comfort point of view. when you lower a car, the new springs have less room to compensate for changes in the road due to less travel room, so you feel it even more.

Old 12-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member

How much harsher are we talking from my sport to actually using h&r lowering springs or eibach lowering springs. I think I'd go with 1.5" drop (I think thats all thats out there drop wise.)

Old 12-03-2006, 11:29 AM
Veteran Member

The sport x type has the lowered springs, sport shocks (harder rebound) and 18 inch rims.

Ride quality is harsh but livable...as stated in my post....max rims with lowered suspension is 18 inches. 19 might fit, but you'll be pushing your luck...especially when making turns.

I have the stock rims, and with the lowered suspension, it's close....I'm sure if i run 19's and hit a pot hole of some uneven pavement I'll be asking for trouble...

Old 12-03-2006, 07:29 PM
Veteran Member

Actually mine comes with the aguilla 17 inch rims that come stock on the sports. The tire size is 225/45zr17. My rims on the car are konig 17's that suck to clean! I'd rather have the aguillas on the car but oh well! At least I have the full size aguilla in the trunk to look at occasionally!