X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Jag owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:15 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Jag owner with some questions

Hello all.... just picked up a 2004 X-Type 3.0L. Everything mechanical seems to be right and tight but there are cosmetic items to address.

On the pillars on each side of the front windshield the cloth covering has come loose... anyone else had to fix this problemm and whats the recommended approach?

Also, it would be great to get an MP3 player to plug into the sound system. Anyone have an idea? (there is no cassette deck, only single CD)

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inky7
On the pillars on each side of the front windshield the cloth covering has come loose... anyone else had to fix this problemm and whats the recommended approach?

Visit a local Auto upholstery place in your city

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

you can get those mp3 adapters that tune to stations 88.3, 88.7 and so on but you have to deal with the cords

Old 08-12-2011, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

FM transmitters WILL lose quality over the air though. If you want flawless quality, an ACM (Audio Connectivity Module) would be your best bet. An ACM is an OEM Jaguar part which installs in your center glovebox and allows you to plug an iPod in with the Apple connector, or any other device with a 3.5" headphone jack output. With an ACM, you will be able to use the next/previous buttons to change songs if you plug in an iPod with the Apple connector.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a huge post because I was sitting in your EXACT same shoes!

I just went to Advance Auto and picked up some upholstery glue, it should look like this: Buy Permatex Body Shop® Heavy-Duty Headliner and Carpet Adhesive 27828 at Advance Auto Parts Just walk into the store and ask them if they have it, and if not they can order it for you, and it should be in by the next day or so. Just be careful not to get any of this spray on your windows, it comes off, but not without a fight!

As for the audio system, I used a FM transmitter for my ZuneHD for a while, then realized it lost signal terribly. So I took the extra mile and bought a Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD touch screen and had it professionally installed. It looks like this:

The following users liked this post:
Inky7 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-29-2011, 09:41 PM
Default Thanks for the responses....

...appreciate the advice.

Whats the cost for an ACM? I assume only Jaguar dealers put them in???

As for the sagging cloth.... I have the same interior color as you Quinton.... maybe a bad batch of cloth. Took the car to a local auto upholstery guy who tried to glue it back but it looked bad.

He ordered some new cloth and it looks great at a reasonable price... if someone needs a recommendation for an upholstery guy in Northwest Chicago I can fix you up.

Old 08-31-2011, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

ACM will run about 5-600 installed, some peple have found them for less and installed them but you still need to get to a dealer to have it programed, goes into the CD changer loop. It's plug and play, you can see a wiring diagram on here if you search audio connectivity module. Let's you add another aux too so for a satellite radio or something. Also USB flash drives. I'm on hold, the last few months have been iffy at best with my car so unless or until I figure out the electrical issue every mod is on hold.

Inky7 (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a cassette player and the CD player in the trunk didn't work. I could have replaced the CD player, but why bother - In the end everyone wants a MP3 player in the car. Why have six CDs in the trunk when I can carry my entire music collection with me?

I went to Best Buy and had them install a MP3 adaptor. It costs me like $120. The connection comes up in the center console. I can't control the Ipod through the radio, but I'm okay with that.

Ideally I would like to have a stock cd and navigation type set up with the Ipod connection, but my wife just got laid off yesterday so that will have to wait. Besides, it's not like I drive much any how.

Inky7 (09-01-2011)
Old 09-01-2011, 05:09 PM

Thanks Dumb/Luck... beats the $500 - $600 for the ACM... can you give me the exact details of what they put in so I know what to ask for? I'll go to Best Buy this week end....

Old 09-01-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Inky7
Thanks Dumb/Luck... beats the $500 - $600 for the ACM... can you give me the exact details of what they put in so I know what to ask for? I'll go to Best Buy this week end....
Glad I stopped back in. Just go to Best Buy and tell them you want to hook up an Ipod to your Jaguar stereo.

With most cars and most newer cars, they just hook it up in the back and you can set it to Ipod on your car stereo and control it from there. Seems with the 2003 Jaguar radio this wasn't an option, and when that happens they have this default system. Basically they hid a tiny little switch in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel. You can't see it, and it was so small that even knowing it was there it was hard to find. You put set the FM radio to a certain station, flip this little switch, and then all you get from your car stereo is the Ipod. You have to control everything through the Ipod.

In fact, I think it was called the "Isimple"....

iPod Adapters for Factory Decks | Best Buy

I feel silly having a casette player in my car, but whatever because I'm rocking my Ipod.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Dumb/Luck
Glad I stopped back in. Just go to Best Buy and tell them you want to hook up an Ipod to your Jaguar stereo.

With most cars and most newer cars, they just hook it up in the back and you can set it to Ipod on your car stereo and control it from there. Seems with the 2003 Jaguar radio this wasn't an option, and when that happens they have this default system. Basically they hid a tiny little switch in the cubby to the left of the steering wheel. You can't see it, and it was so small that even knowing it was there it was hard to find. You put set the FM radio to a certain station, flip this little switch, and then all you get from your car stereo is the Ipod. You have to control everything through the Ipod.

In fact, I think it was called the "Isimple"....

iPod Adapters for Factory Decks | Best Buy

I feel silly having a casette player in my car, but whatever because I'm rocking my Ipod.
So is it an FM modulator? Set FM to a certain station and the iPod signal comes through it?

Old 09-02-2011, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
So is it an FM modulator? Set FM to a certain station and the iPod signal comes through it?
Yes, but it's not transmitting over the FM channel - that's just how the radio has to be set. It's hooked directly up to the radio itself.

Old 03-11-2012, 12:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently installed a wired FM modulator in my 05 x type. bought everything online including a custom mount for my mp3. cost me like $110 total. I was extremely surprised with the quality of the music. The powered modulator cuts off power to the antenna and there is no static noise or interference at all. I also have the Alpine system in my car which helps.