X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Speakers Help needed making a decision!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers Help needed making a decision!

My drivers side speaker has recently popped, and i cant stand the cracking sound. Ive been doing some research on speakers and have heard thats its not good to get speakers without getting a new head unit, something about the frequency not matching up and not enough power, is this true?
So this is where Im gonna need help do i get a used door speaker on ebay or something or get something like this from best buy and just replace the 2 front ones?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1199494465847

Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I have never heard of the "frequency" not matching up.

You may run into a power problem though, where the speakers do not get enough "wattage." Though, if you are purchasing speakers from Best Buy, you won't really run into that problem.

I would get a better quality speaker than the ones you linked in your original post as well.

I think you will be fine by purchasing from a box store and using your factory unit.

Just be sure to check the RMS (minimum power needed) and the RMS of the factory unit.

Cheers,
J

Old 04-27-2009, 06:10 PM

Any recommendations on speaker choices from people here that have done the same mod as me?
91stealthes what do u mean by a "box store"?
Can anyone please tell me the RMS of the factory headunit?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

box store = Best Buy, Circuit City, Fry's, etc

Old 04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

redjag, there is no problem with running aftermarket speakers with a factory head unit. I'm not sure where you heard the frequency bit, but it only truely applies to a vehicle with a high end system that has separate speakers for the highs and for the lows. So, as long as you have the basic stereo for the X-type, you are fine.

With this being said, the "Box stores" (Best Buy, Circuit City, Sears, WalMart, etc) don't know squat about stereos normally and will give you something that is mediocre at best. Going to a car stereo store is going to be a better choice as they will have a wider selection and will have higher end stuff to meet the needs of your car.

As for picking a set of speakers, the best thing that I can tell you to do is to go to a stereo store and pick a few different brands of speakers that are all of the same general price range. From there, using the same radio, same song, same amp, listen to all of the speakers. You will notice that they will all sound slightly different. Pick the one that sounds the best to you. Now that you have a brand that you like, start looking at the speakers that the company sells and select one that works for your application. As long as you pick a speaker that is rated at 20-40 W RMS Max, then that will work for your car. Also note, speakers are rated by 2 different means, you have peak power and RMS power. Peak power is a useless number and should be ignored (only listed to make people think that they are getting more than they really are). Focus on RMS power.

If you have more questions, just ask. I design and install car stereos as a hobby.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Yeah, im wondering, i want something thats sounds goof, with my ipod, i was thinking of bose ( they are the best) or alphine

Old 04-28-2009, 02:04 AM

alright thanks guys especially thermo

Old 04-28-2009, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Oh, there is one thing I forgot to mention though. Pull out one of the speakers and make sure that it is a 4 ohm speaker. This info is normally written on the back of the factory speakers. Sometimes it will have a number with a funny looking "o" (an o that has been split on the bottom and then given feet). That symbol is the "ohm" symbol. You need to make sure that the new speakers you buy are of that resistance or have a higher resistance. Going with a lower resistance speaker can result in failure of the amplifier section of the radio. I haven't looked at our cars yet as I am happy enough with the stereo in my car at the moment. I believe it is 4 ohm (standard resistance), but it is not uncommon for the manufacturers to go with 6 ohm speakers.

Old 04-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Thanks man you really know your stuff, ill check the speakers out now.
i will soon be getting a sub/amp and now i know who to ask haha if i have questions

Old 04-29-2009, 11:07 PM

if u already bought.. then nvm... if not...

www.ikesound.com

hands down cheapest.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:01 PM

I've always been a fan of polk audio and JL audio speakers. Some of the polks are a little more reasonable. JL will be a fair bit more expensive then what you were originally looking at. And bose is not "the best" by any means, its a common misconception among people that dont know any better.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

I have to agree with skynyrd, Bose is over rated in some applications. that is why I say to go out and listen to a bunch of different brands. What sounds good to me, may not sound good to you. Only you can say what is good and what is not. Now, if you are a purist like some people are, then you are treading into a completely different realm of car audio. If you need any ideas or help, hollar.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bose is complete garbage. I just shake my head at everyone that tells me how amazing Bose is. Or that they are the best. Just because they are expensive doesn't mean they are good. They survive purely on good marketing.

I've always liked MB Quarts, Focals, and Boston Pros for car speakers. But it depends on the music the person is listening to. Some are more high pitched, others like the Boston's give a warmer sound. Just a matter of personal preference. But keep in mind, if you go with these speakers, you need an amp and possible new wires and more.

And for subs i've always liked JL. I want a JL 10W7. That thing is a beast.