X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new toy..........gonna burn some stuff real good!

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new toy..........gonna burn some stuff real good!

my dad just hooked me up with a Lincoln mig welder. got it for the great price of free. now i if i can get the hang of it again( haven't laid a bead in about 16 yrs.) once i get the hang of it i can do most of my own body work, because i think my jag is a car door and shoppin cart magnet. so far nothin bigger than a qaurter on it but i am just waitin. now if i can get a paint gun and the garage cleaned out i'm in buisness.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: new toy..........gonna burn some stuff real good!

Ah...ok.....good luck....noting a bit of fiberglass, sandpaper cant fix.....jag's metal too thin for welding...IMO.

Old 09-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Loaks, welders are fun to play with. I have a Lincoln Pro-175 myself. I am always tinkering with something. Granted, if I was going to be doing sheet metal work, I would look into TIG. it does a much better job. But, if you are going to use MIG, then make sure to use some 0.025 wire and the appropriate gas. Like was mentioned, good luck with the sheet metal on the Jag. Newer cars are not meant to have the body panels patched. Normally they simply drill out the spot welds, remove the whole panel and then slide a new panel in place, filling the cut spot welds with a TIG welder.

Chris "Thermo" Coleman and K'Re Ann, the 03 X

Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the 'old' Hobart Handler, which is likely very similar to your lincoln. If you use the correct sheilding gas, and the correct wire diameter, you can weld nearly anything with it. Yes, a tig would be prettier.... but the little mig can do the job.
I keep 3 different jackets in the garage for it. One for the standard wire, one for stainless (because the stainless will tear-up a jacket quickly) and a third for aluminum (because it's a larger diameter). The aluminum is tricky with this welder. you'll be drawing a nice bead, and then suddenly all you;ve got is a pool of shiny liquid........ [:@]

practice a bit. you'll like it. I've built entire roll-cages and race-bike with it. Everything from chassis wleds to sheet metal repair, to aluminum fairingt stays and etc etc.

Good Luck!