X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New transmission noise after fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 10:17 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New transmission noise after fluid change

I did my transmission oil change. I put idemitsu k17 compatible oil in it. Now when it is first started, it makes a bit of a noise in first gear. Almost sounds like an old truck tranny noise that is normal in a standard shift.

When I was looking for the oil fill plug I didn't know it was on the valve cover pan. There is a switch on top of the transmission with a tab that looks like a plug. I tested it and felt a spring action holding it in a location. I heard a noise like something releasing (a slight muffled tap), and that stopped me. I moved it about 1/16" and it popped back, but I was uh oh.

When I filled the tranny all ran fine, except for this noise, as of the viscosity got thin and you hear that intermittent gear whine. Any suggestions? Is there something I need to adjust because I moved that ***. It's some sort of mechanism for adjusting the bands I think, forgot what it was called, but if you don't know either, he he...

Old 01-15-2016, 05:45 PM

well I think I got about 30 or 40 K on the transmission after doing the oil change and I believe it blew up. However, the cv joint, I think, was making that noise on turning. So I had planed on changing that, and I let it go, and go, go, so I am wondering if the cv joint could have failed (wishful thinking) and my transmission is still good. he he. Well one has to dream. Anybody else use the so-called compatable fluids, with ultimate failure soon after? I did get that whining noise after putting new in. Probably the needle bearings.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just what kind of problem are you experiencing now? Can you describe the symptoms? If it was a problem with the fluids I doubt it would
have ran that long.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:09 AM

[QUOTE=Alfadude;1383448]Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Just what kind of problem are you experiencing now? Can you describe the symptoms? If it was a problem with the fluids I doubt it would
have ran that long.[/QUOTE

Okay will first I noticed that I was getting the CV joint grumble for a while on turns. so I was preparing to replace them. My wife drove it to work, a few minutes after I got back from the post office. It ran perfect. She said it started clunking and she pulled over.

I put it in gear, and it moved forward, it was clunking and you could here that noise back in the old days when you put an automatic accidentally in reverse going forward a bit, that clicking noise. ( yeah I know you're not supposed to do that: shyte happens). Never done that to the jag.

It would grab and release as it clunked. Wishful thinking, is it possible my cv joint broke? lol.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Okay will first I noticed that I was getting the CV joint grumble for a while on turns. so I was preparing to replace them. My wife drove it to work, a few minutes after I got back from the post office. It ran perfect. She said it started clunking and she pulled over.

I put it in gear, and it moved forward, it was clunking and you could here that noise back in the old days when you put an automatic accidentally in reverse going forward a bit, that clicking noise. ( yeah I know you're not supposed to do that: shyte happens). Never done that to the jag.

It would grab and release as it clunked. Wishful thinking, is it possible my cv joint broke? lol.

I sure don't want to put a used one back in. I found a "re-manufactured" for about 2g's US in where I am from. I'd love to rebuild it, I know it's not advised. I was watching some youtube, polishing the sleeves, and checking all that, what a potential for forgetting something. I'm pretty thorough. They told me not to do an AC overhaul too, but I've done both jags I have. The 02 was a nightmare with a tool I had to make to get the orafice tube out. The 08 had clip there.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:37 PM

I sure don't want to put a used one back in. I found a "re-manufactured" for about 2g's US in where I am from. I'd love to rebuild it, I know it's not advised. I was watching some youtube, polishing the sleeves, and checking all that, what a potential for forgetting something. I'm pretty thorough. They told me not to do an AC overhaul too, but I've done both jags I have. The 02 was a nightmare with a tool I had to make to get the orafice tube out. The 08 had clip there.