X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No reverse

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 12:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No reverse

Hi Folks, I have a 2002 X-Type with auto trans and 2.5 engine. All was going well till I tried to back up. The car reverse light turns on and it feels like it is engaging, but when I step on the gas, it will not move. Car is still driveable but I can only go forward. Any input or advise is highly appreciated. Thank you ALL.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:51 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Check your tranny fluid level and I bet you will find that it is low. If the fluid level is where it should be, then that would lead me to believe you have an issue with the tranny itself and should seek professional help with that. I am sure that is not what you want to hear, but it is the short of the situation.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:09 AM
Default Thanks

Sorry for the late response Thermo and thanks for responding. I found the filler tube left side of the battery (back). Wondering if I am able to remove cap, is it safe to fill from there? It appears I may be low in ATF and I would rather fill from there. Please let me know. Many many thanks again!

Old 10-20-2012, 07:09 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

X2.5AT, I think what you are seeing as a "filler tube" is the vent for the battery box. THe X-TYpe does not have a traditional dip stick for the tranny. All it has is a fill and drain port on the side of the tranny that you judge the fluid level by. If you are looking at a dip stick, that is for the oil, not tranny fluid.

Old 10-20-2012, 01:15 PM
Default This is the one I am referring to

Hi Thermo, it's this filler tube shown in this illustration that I am referring to...

Attached Thumbnails No reverse-x-type-filler-tube-resized.jpg  
Old 10-20-2012, 02:46 PM
Received 72 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by X2.5AT
Hi Thermo, it's this filler tube shown in this illustration that I am referring to...
There are clearer photographs of the fill opening than that diagram in the FAQ.

The following users liked this post:
X2.5AT (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

from what i remember you have to remove the battery and battery box to reveal the transmission fill hole. there is no dipstick. the only way i am aware of to bring the level to the correct level is to drain the fluid from the drain plug. A maximum of 3 quarts will come out. then you replace drain plug and pour in 3 quarts regardless of how much came out of the drain plug. I hear the fluid type is important, and one of the few types we can use from the auto store is castrol multi import

The following users liked this post:
Lcgi (10-20-2012)
Old 10-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Default Refill or top off

So about a year or so ago, I copied the following instructions to my file but for the life of me, I cannot track down from where or who published the following:

REFILL
1. Lower the vehicle.
Remove the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe cap.

3. NOTE:
Use automatic transmission fluid WSS-M2C922-A1 or equivalent meeting Jaguar specification. Fill the automatic transmission with the same amount you have drained (NOTE the DRY FLUID CAPACITY is 8.8 LITERS) through the automatic transmission fluid charging pipe.

Carry out a fluid level check and adjustment. AND THIS...
The FILL TUBE is to the left and rear of the Battery Box.
There are 2 rubber plugs on top of a "black" pan. One is on the right, this is a large round top plug, sorta like a mushroom. The second is to the left, it is a smaller round plug, like a peice of candy from a candy roll. Flat on top with a thickness of about 1/4". I can see mine from the top by looking between the Battery box and the engine, left side of the battery box.

I had to cut a slit in my filler funnel so it would fit inside the tiny opening. I have had my pan off and one way to check you have the correct tube is to carefully lower a small screwdriver down the tube, Key-off / Engine-off of course. The large mushroom plug is a vent and has a "trap" inside so the screwdriver WILL NOT go down this tube, it will bottom quickly.

So, can anyone please vouch for this? I tried reaching this "filler funnel", hard as it was, I was able to wiggle the rubber cap off. My thoughts are to get a flex hose into the filler and fill up from there (I hope). So, the other obvious issue if I fill the TC this way is, how do I determine if I have the correct amount? My thoughts are, maybe top off .5 liter at a time and then see if the reverse operates again?

I just need confirmation if it is safe to top off from this filler tube with the knowledge that I still have to determine if I have the correct fluid capacity.

Any advise is very much appreciated.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:48 PM
Veteran Member

the reason one just replaces 3 qts rather than "the same amount that one removes" is because you may have been low or high on fluid before removing the drain plug.
If you have the car level and remove the drain plug until no more comes out, then replace plug and add 3 quarts in the filler cap your transmission will have the correct amount of oil.
pain in the ***?...maybe...but it works, and in the absence of a dipstick it works!.
Thats what i have done, thats what others have done. simple

Last edited by iownme; 10-20-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

there is a way to check fluid level by removing one of the plugs (dont remember which) while car is at operating temperature and engine is running...from what i remember the whole process sounded messy and involved being under the car while it was running with a fill or drain plug removed.
I forget the instructions and where i saw them, but for sure the way i described above was a lot easier and gives a surefire result.

As for the TC...thats a whole different kettle of cats!

Last edited by iownme; 10-20-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
Default Iownme

THANK YOU. I will proceed with the drain and see how that goes. Will keep you posted. Project will be done next weekend.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:09 PM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i know this is older post but have to ask did filling fluid help did it fix no reverse issue ?

Old 03-27-2014, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by magicjuan17
i know this is older post but have to ask did filling fluid help did it fix no reverse issue ?
Sorry for the late response. I ended up getting the transmission rebuilt costing $3k. 7 mos later, my daughter crashed and totaled it.

Old 03-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,134 Likes on 1,308 Posts

To put minds at rest: the JATCO JF506E automatic transmission used in the 2001-2002 X-Type - and the VW Jetta and GTI, and the Range Rover Freelander and the Mazda MPV and Ford Mondeo and Seat and... all of these cars had a defect which would show up typically after a fluid service or a rebuild but also spontaneously: the symptom: no reverse. This defect was sometimes caused by mechanics mistaking the reduction band anchor bolt for the fluid check plug - once that anchor bolt was loosened, failure was inevitable. But the defect can also be caused by a cracked reverse piston - symptom: no reverse, but also a poor 2>3 shift, and often no 3rd,4th, 5th gears. JATCO redesigned and strengthened the reverse piston and this seems to be a permanent fix; the upgraded part was factory installed on the X-Types from 2003 onward, I think. The overwhelming majority of transmission failures in the X-Type are on the 2002 models, not the later cars, so if you have a later model, take a deep breath.

Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Sorry for your lose hope your daughters alright -

Yes looks like the reverses band broke - believe it or not I has in the process or reversing there was a large block if ice right under my Trans & it hit hard - might had touch the bolt that pins the band anyway took it to a European shop that deals with nothing but Trans - they gave me two options used Trans or rebuilt Trans I chose to take to get it rebult much more expensive but it came with three Warrentee - 2800
Car drive better then I first drove her

Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 100 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by X2.5AT
Sorry for the late response. I ended up getting the transmission rebuilt costing $3k. 7 mos later, my daughter crashed and totaled it.

Wait a minute!!! Are you my father in law? Did I marry your daughter?

Sorry, but I had to... That sounds just like what my wife did, except it was an engine swap I did and then she crashed it. Everyone's OK. Hope yours is OK, too.