Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noise from tailgate glass

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 04:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Noise from tailgate glass

Hi,

I've just recently changed from my 2.5 sport X Type saloon to a 2.2d sport estate. I was expecting a bit more interior noise but....

I've got an irritating rattle/buzzing that is coming from the rear glass screen. It's a poxy, flimsy, pointless, gimmicky design.
Why you would need to open just the glass rather than the whole tailgate is a mystery to me...?

When I push on the botton corners of the glass from inside the car the noise stops. It's such a poor loose fit against the rubber seal of the tailgate that I can run my fingers between them pretty much all the way around. The same goes for the outside, I can lift the bottom corners of the glass up away from the seal really easily. If I wanted to steal an X Type estate I know which way I'd be getting in to it.

Anyway, the question is, how do I cure the buzzing noise? there doesn't seem to be any adjustment anywhere to tighten up the glass' fit to the tailgate seal? This noise is driving me mental and ruining my enjoyment of the car. I'm off to the South of France next week and the prospect of 2,000 miles of this buzzing....

Paul.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Here are the TSBs I have for the hatchback.

bob gauff

Old 08-18-2011, 01:05 PM

Hey Bob many thanks for that. I'll check out the striker clearance and adjust if required. That may, I hope, be the problem.

Thanks again for the PDF files.

Paul

Old 08-19-2011, 12:39 PM

I'm feeling quite pleased with myself

I've discovered the natural resonance of this buzz is 2,000 rpm.
I Adusted the striker in 2 complete revolutions to make the window a tighter fit to the seal... it still buzzed
So I Adusted the striker out 4 complete revolutions ... it still buzzed

To cut a long buggering about story short - it isn't the striker plate.
I've discovered that it's the exterior plastic moulding/spoiler at the top of the glass that houses the high brake light LEDs that is loose. I shoved a piece of sponge foam between the corner of it and the glass and that's sorted it.
Obviously a wad of sponge poking out from under the tailgate spoiler isn't a good look so I'll have to figure out a way to stop
it from vibrating permenently. I've toyed with the idea of squirting a blob of silicone sealant under it - anyone else got any ideas?