X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noisy clutch release bearing question

Old 05-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Noisy clutch release bearing question

Just bought a used 2.2d manual x type from a dealer.

The release bearing started to occasionally make a screech type sound when taking up the clutch.
It soon got worse when driven for 20 miles where it screeched continuously if I depressed the clutch pedal, when clutch fully released, it goes away. There is no clutch slip.

When I tested the car just prior to buying, the noise was very infrequent, I pointed this out to him.

The upshot is the dealer said he would get his mechanic to replace the release bearing for £50 labour plus the part, est to be £15, so £65 total.

What I can't understand is what work is required to replace the release bearing, as my understanding is surely the gearbox has to be removed, which would require a lot of time ?

Is there a knack to replace it easily ?

Thanks,
Paul.

Last edited by GGG; 06-03-2017 at 05:11 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 05:14 AM
GGG
Received 16,759 Likes on 12,148 Posts

Paul,

I've moved your question from Diesel variants - All models to X-Type forum. When it's not an engine-specific topic, this is the best place to post questions about your model.

Graham

Old 06-03-2017, 12:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

The clutch release bearing can only be changed by removing the transmission.

Old 06-03-2017, 05:13 PM

The car has been arranged to be dropped off to the dealer this Monday.
He tells me that the whole engine/transmission is lowered on the sub frame, then the gearbox is split to replace the release bearing.
He assures me that if you know what you are doing, and with the suitable support gear, it can be done in far less time than is usually quoted.
He tells me they have done this many times on this type of car, so I will reserve judgement.

On a separate issue, the car was bought with a broken off fuel flap lever, just under the drivers seat.
To gain access under the carpet, do I need to both remove the carpet/lower door trim only, or do I also need to remove the seat as well, to gain sufficient slack in the carpet ?

Thanks,
Paul.

Old 10-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car has the same issue with the clutch release bearing. I've just been quoted £1200 to have it fixed with the words "you may as well get a new car"! If the cost was as estimated Man on the hill, can you pass on the name of the dealer/garage so I can call them up please?

Old 10-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

It would be folly to not replace all the possibly worn parts while the gearbox is off if this is a high mileage motor. I think this is where the very high estimate comes from

Old 10-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Hi Trev,
I got the dealer to fit a new clutch/flywheel and release bearing some months ago now, as the car was sold faulty, it was at no cost to me.

Because the back street mechanic cut corners, I had to spend money to replace the various panels/covers that he butchered !

I also fully serviced the car myself after I got it back, full synth oil for transmission and engine, plus all four filters.

During the time the car was at the "mechanic", I got two quotes for the work, from reputable mechanics, they were approx. £850 to £950 for flywheel/clutch and release bearing replacement.
They both estimated it would take them 8+ hours to do.

Paul.

Old 10-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Thanks Dunks, wise words.

Also thanks a lot for the response Paul.

That makes sense to me, I'll cast around for some 'reputable' quotes for the work now. I'll let you know how I get on

Cheers! Trev

Old 10-18-2017, 06:31 AM

Hi Paul (and others)

I had it done by Kam Servicing in Nottingham (after ringing around). They charged me £795 for fitting a new clutch, release bearing and DMF (which was worn through). If it had just been the Clutch it would have cost £345 to replace it through them. The cheapest other quote I had was £1,200 (from two other garages) so I was fairly happy.

Cheers

Trev