X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not giving up on my Xtype!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 06:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not giving up on my Xtype!

Following the below email from mechanic {see below} I have listened to a few on this forum and going to take the car for a second opinion...booked her in for a week friday. The chap on the phone asked right away; "have you had the gearbox oil changed?" the answer since my ownership is no... cant wait to hear his opinion. but from what the below email says it sounds as if it is the transfer box and auto box.

Ill keep you all posted.

The gearbox in the x type is a jatco assembly and a known weak point, also used by vw for a short period with similar issues.
The easiest way to replace the transmission on a 4wd x type is to drop the engine assembly onto the deck, different people do have different ways about the job, some leave the engine in. But for access, sheer weight of the box, speed and risk i prefer to drop the whole unit. That alone isn't a 10 minute procedure. Due to the work and time involved in replacing the box, I am very reluctant to use a 2nd hand unit, for that reason I would insist on having the transmission reconditioned by Bristol transmissions who also do the factory units. One of a few equipped for testing the jatco unit. I would be prepared to fit a 2nd unit supplied by yourself for a cost scenario but on the understanding if the unit supplied is faulty our charges would still apply. A recon unit fitted is approx £2200 + vat.

The problems however go further. The car is in need of two front wheel bearings, both are noisy on the road, I did however explain to your dad, after driving the car and running some tests, in my opinion there is an underlying noise masked by the bearing noise, coming from the transfer casing. Unfortunately I cannot say 100% until the bearings are replaced.

Although the gear box is operational, and for most of the time does have all gears, truthfully it's not a happy box, intermittent notchy *****, irregular *****, whistle and Occasional loss of top gear, ultimately it will suffer from failure.

To stand there and suggest fitting the bearings, with the potential of needing a transfer box, replacing if required, and advising to see how it goes, would be criminal and I would need no soul and be a main dealer! As I'd be waiting for the phone call to say it's on a recovery truck. That is not me. As painful as it is to hear, I'll always be honest and explain the potential and inevitable.

In short, worst case scenario it could cost upto £3000 + vat to see her back into shape.

Many thanks