Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not resolved P0037 obd fault

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 08:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Not resolved P0037 obd fault

I am new on the jagforum and i hold a jaguar xtype 2001 3.0 automatic
I have a prioblem which i can not solve so i need help.
My engine light is on and my obd reader list as fault p0037.
Twice now I have changed the bank 1 sensor 2 with the black connector, still p0037
I have measured the continuity of the two black wires of the sensor and they are oke.
I have carried out all the test i found in my jaguar workshop manual, and all wiring is oke.
When i run my engine stationairy the p0037 will stay away, but the moment i rev my obd reader recognizes a p0037 fault.
The car is running smoothly only the engine light is on.
Please advise or direct me to a earlier discussion with this problem and a solution.

Last edited by GGG; 12-15-2016 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Change thread title as requested by OP
Old 12-07-2016, 04:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

John, are you measuring the black plug at the front of the engine bay by the fan controller/battery, or are you measuring the plug back on the firewall by the brake booster?

You should be measuring the one on the firewall. Assuming that is the one that you measured, then the next step would be to do a wiring check between the black plug on the firewall and the ECU (ECU is tucked under the cowl on the right side of the car at the base of the windshield). It is possible you have a bad wire between the plug by the brake booster and the ECU. As long as the wiring is still all taped up, you will see any damage to the wiring. The only spot you may not see something is right at the black plug. There you can bend the wiring in a fairly sharp bend and if you see the wiring make a kink that is different than the other wires, that would indicate that the wire broke and you are getting no electrical connection. The other thing you should check is the pins inside the black plug to make sure that they are silvery in color (not a brownish/gray color). If they do not appear silvery, you can take a very small screw driver or other scribe type device and scratch at the connection and scrape off all the brown stuff to return the contacts to a silver color. Then you can clear the codes and see if the problem has resolved itself.

Old 12-08-2016, 05:15 AM

Thank you for reacting.
Yes i checked the black connecter near the fire wall. I performed all the test i could find in JTIS
test J1 EN14 wg and ground 11. 85v; Test J2 EN14 pin 3(w) and EN16 (ecu) pin 130`less than 1 ohm; Test J3 EN14pin4(N) and EN1 pin 128(N) less than 1 ohm; Test J4 EN14 pin4 and ground more than 12kohm; test J5 voltage EN14pin4 and ground less than 1 actual zero. TRha
en Jtis advises to change the so2 sensor, i did but still p0037 coming up .
Ther most stange effect i observed is after clearing the DTC and starting the car ; during idle revolutions the dtc stays clear , but when i increase the revolutyions to about 2000 the P0037 appeares on my reader(laptop)
The values from the sensor while the engine is running are normal and there is little difference between bank 1 and bank 2.bothworking is closed loops.
I will report my findings but if you have an advise
The resistance between de tho black wires from the so2 sensor is 6.7 ohm and there is no short to earth. The so2 sensors are originals for xtype
as i checked also the wiring between EN14 pin1(U) and EN16 pin 92(U) and the measures resistance was less than 1 ohm; i will try with a temporary lead from the plus (battery) to the lead wire of the sensor that is to say the black now connected through EN14 with the WG lead wire from fuse 38.
Pehaps trhere is voltage but no good connection for sufficient amps.
I will report my findings and hope of some help because i have not been able to solve the problem for too long.
Nice to report and to ask for advice on this forum!!

Old 12-08-2016, 06:01 AM

i have a GOOD one now!!
I jhave not only checked fuze 38 but also removed some light brown corrosin on the pin of this fuse and ......after resetting the fault codes the code p0037 did not return also not after revving the engine.
So my conclusion is there was some residu on the pins of the fuse preventing full current to trhe sensor.
Hope the problem is now permanently solved and for that i need some days driving without a dtc/obd.. warning.
typing my problem made me think more about teh problem than before and the remark made in the first reaction on this forum made me look for any corrosion on pins and was therefore very helpfull in solving my problem.
Many thanks to Chris "Thermo" Coleman and Jackie, the 12 XJ

Old 12-14-2016, 11:04 AM

i thought i solved the problem, but no ,still the light is on and the codeis P0037
I measured the voltage on the black wires of the sensor and they bare oke; 12.5 volts
However before changing the so2 sensor from bank 1 with the sensor from bank 2 i measured the resistance of the sensor bank 2. This is the sensor near the ventilator on the front of the car. I measure indefinite, so this heater circuit of the sensor is in my opinion defective as the two other sensors i have with a black connector measure about 5 ohm
How is it possible the obd reading is P0037 instead of P0057???
I am going to change the bank 2 sensor but as i am now in another country for the winter it will have to wait till May 2017.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:51 AM

I measured again and my last measurement was WRONG!!
Both sensors with black connector measure the same value; around 5 ohm, so both are oke I gues.
On internet there was a guote reporting that a P0037 could also mean something wrong with the MAF or IAT sensor. Is this true???
Tha car runs oke,no hickups normal fuelconsumption etc. Only the P0037 keeps coming up. Any suggestion where to look other than all the tests prescribed in JTIS are WELCOME!!!

Old 12-17-2016, 01:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

Stare at elec. guide, be creative and measure accordingly. At the least, pin to pin all the way through.

Could even be a connector or cable that is marginal and vibrates loose / shorts.

If need be run a new set of wires.

The following users liked this post:
jwballes (12-17-2016)
Old 12-17-2016, 06:02 AM

ihave done so, checked all the wires and connectors that i could find in the electrical scheme of JTIS. all measure oke.
When i switch on the main contact there is zero resistance between the heating element of the bank1sensor 2,but when i start the engine this zero resistance remainsonly for about 20 seconds, after that i measure 14.7 ohm and the P0037 is on my obd reader.

Old 12-18-2016, 02:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,483 Likes on 3,901 Posts

See my previous reply.

I forgot that a faulty part is another option.

Old 05-26-2017, 01:17 PM

I started this threat and now i can close it because after 5 months driving with the engine light ON because of P0037 ( ichecked periodically) it is now OFF. Why i do not now, idid not do anything after all the checks i made in december and beiing not able to find a fault it now has disappeared after my last jearney driving 2500 km from portugal to the netherlands. The first day home the light was off,my car was home.