X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OBDII Port Not Communicating...

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OBDII Port Not Communicating...

Is this familiar to anyone out there? Jag has had my car for several weeks trying to complete my emissions inspection but can't because the OBDII port they can't communicate. Any ideas or suggestions? btw I'm still covered under my Select Edition warranty and I talked to another non-Jag tech who said the MDS Software could be corrupt and a newer version may need to be uploaded in to my X.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Default RE: OBDII Port Not Communicating...

Bo,

u r rite. they've had my X for weeks now and they can't square away emissions b/c they can't communicate with the OBDII port. I took it to another shop and they tried connecting globally and they could not get anything either. They aren't giving me daily updates, there are no check engine lights and the car runs perfectly! Anyand allideas are welcomed!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey agl contact factoryjagtech...

Old 01-17-2008, 05:56 PM

Aquill,

I tried to pm factoryjagtech and got a message he is not taking pm???

Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

ORIGINAL: AGLXTYPE

I tried to pm factoryjagtech and got a message he is not taking pm???
Were you logged in when you tried?

Old 01-17-2008, 06:28 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Hey, you need to ask the dealer if it is not communicating with any modules or is it just the ECM.
If nothing is communicating, then I would start by looking at Fuse #80 7.5amp in the fuse box in front of your left knee while sitting in drivers seat under dash. Also Fuse # 72 15amp same box. They power the OBDII connector. Or take volt meter with key on and check for power at Pins 16 and 9 in the OBD 2 connecter. If fuses are good there, and no power at pins, then some kind of open circuit between fuse and connector.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

well you shud start by checking all the pins on the DLC (diag cable) .on the car side.. if it's a problem with IDS or WDS the problem can be solved pretty fast .. as a jag tech i wud start at the DLC cable maybe missing a power for communiction purposes..or a downECM,if they had this car for so long i wud take it to a real jag dealership .. cuz a dealer that has it for so long isn't following the proper guide lines..

Old 01-17-2008, 06:37 PM

Here here Genius!

Old 01-17-2008, 06:56 PM

Factoryjagtech,

On my scroll of receipts from Jag is just says Found OBDII Port Not Communicating. Need time to diag. Don't know if related but my front driver side turn signal went out and they can't figure it out either. They replaced the bulb, then the entire headlight and still nothing!Also it just came to mind that when I installed my subwoofer and amp I tapped the amp remote turn-on lead in the fuse box. I did notice that when following the fuse diagram in the owner's manual that the amp rating on the fuses did not match what was listed in the manual for many of the fuses???

Old 01-17-2008, 07:01 PM

If that is the case, I would replace the fuses with the correct ones. Like Genius said, check power at the DLC connector first. See if you got power there. Then start to trace it. Fuses next. If they are good with no power at connector then you got a wiring problem. FUses blown, again, probably a wiring problem but shorted. I wish you luck tracing it. Normally no communication is easy.
Second thoughts, I would disconnect the Amp and see if it changes.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:30 PM

Thanks. The plan is to take it to another Jag dealer who was highly recommended from a non-Jag tech.

Here's another scenario, Jag replaced a broken tranny mount about a month ago. When a clutch job was done a bolt was broken off &stripped and the mechanic did a repair using shims. When Jag replaced the tranny mount the tech did not put it back together in the manner in which I gave it to them which started the subframe moving around making very embarrasing noises. Now it sounds like they are trying to take me to the cleaners. The service writer said he ordered a bolt which will stop the moving around down there but putting it in he wants charge me up several hours of labor at $109/hr! To make this scenario even worse I had an issue with my tranny grinding going into third. They aligned & lubed the shift linkage and replaced synchros. Got the car back and the shifting was quite smooth with no grinding. But wait, I got out on the highway and couldn't get into 5th gear! Therefore the same day I took the car back toget another loaner. Now the dealer is saying that it's the subframe in the way not allowing the tranny to go into 5th. My question is how long would it take to drop the subframe and install a bolt? And would the subframe really stop the tranny from shifting into 5th?

Old 01-17-2008, 07:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ouch good luck agl....