X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd Steering Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 06:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odd Steering Issue

So for awhile now I've been having a really odd issue with my power steering system and or steering system in general.

Ok so when the vehicle is dead cold the steering is extremely easy at creeping speeds. Overall feels as it should.

However as the car warms up the steering at creeping speeds becomes extremely hard. It will give an inconsistent resistance yet overall feel as if the car has no power steering. Along side that when the car isn't moving and at ether full right or full left lock the car will act as if it's in lock yet once I start to creep again it gets an extra almost quarter turn. Additionally I have even had rare cases where the steering feels as if it's fighting against me and try's to essentially turn the other way. Overall this steering is a completely different feel from when it's dead cold.

I have been doing the turkey baster method. Where I basically empty the fluid reservoir and then just refill it with new fluid. I have used Castrol transmax multi-import atf fluid, it claims to have the same spec as dexron 3. At this point almost filled up a smaller soda bottle (maybe 16 fl oz) and have felt 0 change with the steering.

My first assumption was fluid since it only seems to do it as the car warms up. Somehow the fluid might be getting to hot and not performing as it should. Then again the car makes a very audible grunt noise when working the wheel which kind of makes me thing it might have more mechanical based then just the fluid. Maybe even serpentine belt issues somehow?

Maybe some of you guys might have some input here, I'm stumped as of now.

Thanks,
Andrew

Old 05-20-2018, 07:01 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

I would have the ports in the steering rack looked at. It may be possible that the new fluid you put in is not playing well with the ports and that is causing what you are seeing. Normally when you hear the power steering pump grunt/whine, that is telling you that it is either low on fluid and it is cavitating or the pump is seeing lots of back pressure and that is causing the pump to cavitate.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:39 PM

This issue was present before the new fluid was added. Do you still think I should get the ports checked out?

Old 05-20-2018, 10:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Could be the VAPS, Variable Assist Power Steering (a.k.a. EPS, Electronic Power Steering). I know a lot of other Jaguar models experience problems with it.

Posts in S type on this occurrence =

1) steering wheel did not seem to return all the way to straight when let go after a turn. ( See #2)

2) steering wheel was not centered when driving straight. Brought it back to mechanic, he set toe so steering wheel was centered for straight travel. This also cleared#1.

3) steering was heavy. When changing direction of the steering wheel, I felt a tiny gap and heard a clunk, especially at idle.

Mechanic called me in after fixing toe. He put a guy in driver seat, lifted the car and we walked under. Guy moved steering wheel left right left repeat.

sure enough the clunk and even a grating sound was coming from the steering rack. It was as though there was no power steering fluid pressure in there.

I began to suspect I needed a new steering rack, but our experts here advised me to 1st check the variable power steering assist.

From FactoryJaguarTech in this forum 10 years ago =

Servotronic system may be malfunctioning. Look under vehicle where steering column meets the steering rack. You will see an electrical connector there. Make sure it is plugged in. The unit may be faulty.
On the red wire, you need to check amperage at the rack with engine running. It should be 864 milliamps. If it is 0 amps, it means the instrument pack is not out putting signal to make servotronic have maximum assist.
There is not much you can test other than that. If it is putting out the amperage, it means then that you have a bad servotronic unit.

Old 05-21-2018, 03:41 PM

Looking around in the sng barratt catalog I saw something called a transducer. Would this be the part of the servotronic system that could be malfunctioning? Part number is C2S12020.

Old 05-21-2018, 04:45 PM
Veteran Member

JAGUAR PART NUMBER: C2S12020

This is the small solenoid-type unit that fits on the neck of the steering rack. It controls the "weight" or "sensitivity" of the speed sensitive steering.

If you are finding that the power steering is working, but is either too "heavy" at low speed, or too "light" at higher speed, then this part could well be the cause of the problem. The transducer opens a small valve which gives greater power assistance for low speed maneuvers. If the valve is stuck open then the steering will be light, if it is stuck closed the steering will be heavier.

Suitable for all X-Type 2001-2010 models

Old 01-03-2024, 02:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Really odd stearing behaviour

Like the title says, odd behavior.
Jaguar Xj 3.0 2010.
The story. Occasionally, when driving over not too flat asfalt, like rolling wavey bitum where the bitum is deformed by trucks and busses, and bitum is wavey, and the steering wheel is a bit turned either way, Turner like 1..2 inches, the steering wheel jitters for like another inch, more or less, regardless the speed. That jitter makes the car unsure about the direction, couple of seconds, or until I counter the movement with compensation on the steering wheel, sometimes, 2, 3 adjustments of compensation movements, sort and swift. I have done the following: changed lower pivot, banana arms, antiroll bushings and links. Done a refurb to a specialized firm of the steering rack, changed the oil bottle with filter for the steering fluid, changed direction links. Wheels are balanced and allingned. Winter and summer tires. Steering angles are spot on. Sometimes, in breaking, at 40, 60, 80,100 kph, staring wheel begins to shake, not to hard not to soft, but very rarely. Very rarely. On flat surface, smooth road, no problem never ever. No noise, no clunk, no leeks, no nothing. But once you try to keep it straight on the road and the road is a bit wavy….. Pleeaaasseeeeeeee some ideas. Pump? Upper arm? Someone had the same problem? And also, at iddle, turning the steering wheel makes the iddle to decrease, not much, about 50…100 rpm, you can see it on the clock. Cold or hot car, doesn't matter. So…… please help.
Ps, no noises, rest of the time staring is sharp and good.

Old 01-04-2024, 01:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help

Anyone?

Old 01-05-2024, 02:10 PM
Veteran Member

@danu99 might get more help if you post in the correct forum. This is X Type (X400).

Old 01-05-2024, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,792 Likes on 720 Posts

Just a thought.....you might check your front shock absorbers for any loss of dampening action at a certain position.
You might be getting a wheel bouncing if a shock has a weak spot somewhere in its range of operation.
I have had a shock develop a dead spot (Volvo 360GLT) that allowed rear wheels to subtly oscillate and would eventually make tyres to go out of round.
Can only imagine what it might feel like if it were a front wheel afflicted.