X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oem vs bilstein shocks and struts

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oem vs bilstein shocks and struts

That is the question. My Jag needs front and rears, any recommedations?

Thanks

Troy

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bilstein are the OEM suppliers to Jaguar.

Brian

Old 02-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Default Different

I was told the oem Bilsteins are not the same quality as the after market version. The ones made for "enter car manufacturer here" are made in an Ohio plant designed to make the shocks and struts the car manufacturers that have negotiated to pay $10 each for them. The after markets are the top quality made in germany Bilsteins. I have no way to confirm this I was just told by what I consider to be a reliable source. Could be BS.

Troy

Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I've heard that kind of story before. We have a parts guy here that used to work at the BMW dealer. He said one of the fellas that worked with him use to tell customers that BMW would actually go through the parts and select the ones they wanted. They would then allow the manufacturer to sell the lesser product left over as aftermarket pieces. He said every customer took it hook line and sinker.

Story two: We use to have an older fellow that worked here in the wholesale parts division. He would tell any asking about quality that "Harrison says ours are the best." It took over two years before someone at one of the shops finally asked, "Who's Harrison? I've never heard of them." Our fellow answered, "That's Pete Harrison. He's the sales guy sitting right here beside me."

Morale of the story: people want a believable, outside source to confirm that they are getting a quality product. It doesn't take that good of a story to be believable.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by Phins74
I was told the oem Bilsteins are not the same quality as the after market version. The ones made for "enter car manufacturer here" are made in an Ohio plant designed to make the shocks and struts the car manufacturers that have negotiated to pay $10 each for them. The after markets are the top quality made in germany Bilsteins. I have no way to confirm this I was just told by what I consider to be a reliable source. Could be BS.

Troy

Ummm. I think your source is at least touching on the truth but I'm not sure he hit a bullseye.

Its common, yes, for an outfit (Bilstein for instance?) to manufacture shocks/whatever "to manufacturer spec" while at the same time offering a different line-up of products on the aftermarket. That's why you can go to your Jag dealer and see 4 or 5 difference choices for shocks (depending on exact year, vehicle build spec, etc) yet the manufacturer only offers one or two choices via their aftermarket replacement channels.

I'm not sure we can assume that the aftermarket offerings are *necessarily* superior in quality to the OEM offering from the same manufacturer. And, in cases where one or two replacement part numbers replace four or five OEM part numbers one has to think that the replacement may not duplicate the OEM characteristics...maybe better, maybe worse, maybe the same...who knows?

I've witnessed numerous case where the aftermarket replacement was lower quality the the OEM-spec version made by the very same company. The reverse is less common, in my experience.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM
ud
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I read a report on BMW shock absorber specifications.
BMW have the supplier make a range of shock valving for each new car, then during testing, the BMW engineers drive the same test track over and over, swapping shocks as they go.

Eventually they choose what they think is best. (same process for comfort, sport and M shocks)
The supplier is then contracted to build the shock "to BMW specs" the intention is that the OEM shock are thoroughly tested and work well. They say they are designed to last 100k miles.

In the aftermarket the shock builder is not allowed to build the exact same shock as they sell to BMW, they can market something different, (stiffer or softer) and they claim they test them. I highly doubt that the shock company has the ability to test to the same degree and thoroughness as BMW does.

I dont know how Jag does it, probably not much differently.

Jag sport shocks are good.... quite stiff for most people.

Last edited by jimmy; 02-05-2009 at 02:09 PM. Reason: hit enter too soon
Old 02-06-2009, 08:14 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced my rear shocks last year as one was leaking fluid. The replacement Bilsteins were built in Germany and had the same part # as the originals.
In my opinion these are just fine for road use. I also drive a Porsche 928 which will outcorner the Jag on smooth pavement but on normal (i.e. bumpy) roads the Jag will hold the line better due to the more complient suspension.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian

Old 02-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

i was talking to a factory jag rep last week and we were discussing aftermarket since we're both into racing and modifications to vehicles, he bikes, me cars. An he made a comment that a fialure rate of return has to be 1 in the 10's of thousands fore most OEMs. after market requirements are obviously less and warranties and costs less because of this

Old 02-06-2009, 06:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I highly suggest you install after market shock and springs....of the "performance" type.
I suggest something that will also lower you car. Reason being, better ride (more firmer), better cornering and it completely gets rid of that chicken squat when accelerating....

As for price, you'll probably save a few bucks in the long run.....you'll also need a 4 wheel alignment.

Old 02-10-2009, 01:47 AM

having worked for automotive parts manufacturers for the last 15 years( 3 different places) most are made in the same plant to diffrent specs.some times it's just a name change/ brand. or in the case of a motor, it may get diffrent parts for diffrent applications. the first 15 get one set of parts to go in a truck then 2 come by that get something added or taken away to go in a bus.
same for speakers. i made them for about 4 years, saw the same parts goin and just get a new name on them. we made oem, alpine, jl audio, and a bunch of other's. just change the sticker and dust cover.