X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil change

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil change

changing oil and filter tomorrow, does anyone have any pics of filter location, so i know what i am up against? i here it is in an awkward place.

Mark.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

fat sam, 2 big things to keep in mind when doing an oil change on an X-Type. The first one that you are going to run across (or you may not, I'll explain) is there is a scoop that is mounted to the underside of the motor that runs right in front of the drain plug. You need to remove the scoop before you drain the oil else you are going to have a big mess on your hands. The trick is that this scoop is the lowest point on the car and it is made of plastic. As you can guess, it is really easy to rip right off of the car and I would say 99% of X-types don't have it installed.

As for the filter, it isn't hard to access, just not out in the open. If you open the hood and you are looking into the engine bay with your knees where the front license plate should be. If you drop your left hand down behind the radiator, you will see the filter down there. To access the filter, you will need to lay on the ground and look up at the bottom of the car. Right under where you saw the filter, you will see a 12cm x 12cm opening in the plastic shield under the radiator. If you look up in that opening, you will see the oil filter there. Stick your hand up there and spin off the filter. It is sitting at about a 45 degree angle. So, be ready for some oil to come out. I have big hands and I have no problem getting the filter out.

Old 08-11-2012, 02:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo
fat sam, 2 big things to keep in mind when doing an oil change on an X-Type. The first one that you are going to run across (or you may not, I'll explain) is there is a scoop that is mounted to the underside of the motor that runs right in front of the drain plug. You need to remove the scoop before you drain the oil else you are going to have a big mess on your hands. The trick is that this scoop is the lowest point on the car and it is made of plastic. As you can guess, it is really easy to rip right off of the car and I would say 99% of X-types don't have it installed.

As for the filter, it isn't hard to access, just not out in the open. If you open the hood and you are looking into the engine bay with your knees where the front license plate should be. If you drop your left hand down behind the radiator, you will see the filter down there. To access the filter, you will need to lay on the ground and look up at the bottom of the car. Right under where you saw the filter, you will see a 12cm x 12cm opening in the plastic shield under the radiator. If you look up in that opening, you will see the oil filter there. Stick your hand up there and spin off the filter. It is sitting at about a 45 degree angle. So, be ready for some oil to come out. I have big hands and I have no problem getting the filter out.
Thanks Thermo, was out there at 6.30 this morning. All went very straight forward, no scoop fitted to mine and all done in 30 mins.

Thanks again for the reply. Mark.

The following users liked this post:
Norri (08-11-2012)