X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overall 3.0 X-Type reliability/dependability

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 01:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Overall 3.0 X-Type reliability/dependability

Currently just broke up with my 2005 Cadillac SRX 3.6 which was nothing but problem after problem ea month.

I have always liked the look of the X-Type and I'm interested in purchasing one. I have done some homework on buying one used.

Can anybody share their experiences? Just trying to avoid another undependable money pit.

Old 07-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

acg2002us, can the x-type be a money pit? Of course. This is where knowing the history of the car is going to be key. Where a group like this can be helpful is we know how to fix just about anything on the car and will give pointers on where to get the parts as cheap as practical. Keep in mind that any X-Type you look at is going to be atleast 10 years old at this point (stopped being made in the US in 2008). So, you are going to have the 10 year old car problems. Atleast wtih the X-Type, most things can be done by a back yard mechanic without the need for lots of tools.

The motors on these cars are pretty good and other than chasing vacuum leaks, they will hold together pretty well. When I had mine, I would say that the biggest problem I had was with rear calipers. It seemed like I was replacing 1 per year. I spent a little bit and got a replacement caliper for each side and started rebuilding them myself. But, not everyone has this same problem.

If you do some looking on the site, you will see where there are numerous summations of common problems that this car sees. Most of them are what I would consider to be normal "wear and tear" stuff. The one thing that may or may not be of concern is how you plan on driving the car. While the newer cars have an improved transfer case and most of the ones that were improperly assembled are more than likely off the road by this point, the X-Type developed a trait for a weak transfer case. So, if you plan on going light to light for a spirited drive all the time, this car may beat you silly using your own wallet. You drive it sensibly and cruise the highways at 75-80 mph, the kitty will do this all day long and love you for it. Some members may feel I am being too restrictive with this statement. But, if you are worried about reliability, this would be my biggest concern. If this is for you, then I would be looking more at an S-Type since it won't have the transfer case. But, those have their own little quirks (like any car has).

I owned my X-Type for 8 years and found it to be more reliable that other cars that I owned during the same time.

The following users liked this post:
acg2002us (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 09:48 AM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I always encourage people to set a budget for the vehicle and for repairs. Right now, 2008 was the last year for U.S. so most available are a few years old.
Glad that you joined for Forum. Thermo and others are a great resource.
If you do purchase one, please join your local Jaguar Club. Mine has been invaluable for the maintenance of my vehicle. Do not go to a dealer or chain for works/repair. Good luck. Bill in Ohio

acg2002us (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,130 Likes on 1,304 Posts

We have owned 3 X-Types; all have given exemplary service; one of them in daily use now for 15 years has had exactly 3 minor repairs: replacement of an oxygen sensor, replacement of a stripped nylon gear on one of the driver's seat motors ( - the height motor), and just a few months ago (in year 15), I had the water pump replaced because it was seeping. My 2005 X-Type wagon has had zero repairs...Thermo's advice is valuable and accurate, as always (but to make a slight correction - no X-type [nor any Jaguar] was ever made "in" the US - he should ahve written "for" the US. They were all made in England). And for the record, my dealer has given excellent service - so a blanket statement about avoiding the dealer is not entirely accurate - some dealers are good, some not so good - or worse.
As Thermo says, the service record is crucial for any car.
If you purchase one, have all the fluids changed (transfer case and transmission especially) and make sure the cooling duct for the transfer case is in place - this is important and it is often missing. Very easily replaced, held by one bolt. The part number is C2S18834

acg2002us (07-12-2018)
Old 07-12-2018, 11:29 AM

Thank you so much for the kind welcome and advice Thermo! I appreciate that.

I am pretty handy and can do most of the maintenance and repair short of opening up the engine and TC. I also noticed parts prices are not too bad at all I use www.rockauto.com alot.

A guy on YouTube named ChrisFix did a pretty handy video on YouTube about purchasing used cars in which he does actually purchase a 04 X-type 2.5 and shows you how to inspect one it really is a great video that I highly recommend.

I will definitely check the side sills for rust which is common on these apparently, any advice on how to inspect the transfer case before purchase???

The search for my X-Type continues.

Originally Posted by Thermo
acg2002us, can the x-type be a money pit? Of course. This is where knowing the history of the car is going to be key. Where a group like this can be helpful is we know how to fix just about anything on the car and will give pointers on where to get the parts as cheap as practical. Keep in mind that any X-Type you look at is going to be atleast 10 years old at this point (stopped being made in the US in 2008). So, you are going to have the 10 year old car problems. Atleast wtih the X-Type, most things can be done by a back yard mechanic without the need for lots of tools.

The motors on these cars are pretty good and other than chasing vacuum leaks, they will hold together pretty well. When I had mine, I would say that the biggest problem I had was with rear calipers. It seemed like I was replacing 1 per year. I spent a little bit and got a replacement caliper for each side and started rebuilding them myself. But, not everyone has this same problem.

If you do some looking on the site, you will see where there are numerous summations of common problems that this car sees. Most of them are what I would consider to be normal "wear and tear" stuff. The one thing that may or may not be of concern is how you plan on driving the car. While the newer cars have an improved transfer case and most of the ones that were improperly assembled are more than likely off the road by this point, the X-Type developed a trait for a weak transfer case. So, if you plan on going light to light for a spirited drive all the time, this car may beat you silly using your own wallet. You drive it sensibly and cruise the highways at 75-80 mph, the kitty will do this all day long and love you for it. Some members may feel I am being too restrictive with this statement. But, if you are worried about reliability, this would be my biggest concern. If this is for you, then I would be looking more at an S-Type since it won't have the transfer case. But, those have their own little quirks (like any car has).

I owned my X-Type for 8 years and found it to be more reliable that other cars that I owned during the same time.

Old 07-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

acg, inspecting the transfer case is pretty easy. When you find the car, take it for a drive. If you think someone let a box of rocks loose in the engine bay, you have a transfer case going bad.. If it won't go into gear, either the transfer case or the tranny is shot. The transfer case in these cars pretty much works or it don't. There isn't a lot of time between the two. Some have reported gear noise just before the transfer case going. So, that may be something else to listen for. But, the gear noise can be a few things though too. So, don't completely disregard a car because of a minor noise.

Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by acg2002us
Currently just broke up with my 2005 Cadillac SRX 3.6 which was nothing but problem after problem ea month.

I have always liked the look of the X-Type and I'm interested in purchasing one. I have done some homework on buying one used.

Can anybody share their experiences? Just trying to avoid another undependable money pit.
Have bought my Jag X type about 2 years ago, its a get up and go car and like it very much.
Replaced a starter due to acting up solonoid, Radiator was replaced . Those are all regular issues that need replacing.
I also have a 78 XJ6 since new, its in very good shape with no rust any were.
Walter

Old 07-12-2018, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

I'll have to paraphrase one of our members signature lines, this is kinda close =

A Jaguar is after all a cat and one must expect the occasional hissing and coughing up of a furball.

Old 07-13-2018, 06:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

The X type, IMO, is a high maintenance car. I am now on my second one and would probably buy a third if this one gets totaled since I like the traditional styling, but they are high maintenance. I think, mainly, suspension parts can and will fail more so than in other cars the same age.

Old 07-13-2018, 09:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 126 Likes on 114 Posts

will parts need replacing....yes, just like any other older car does.
as a high end car it was probably pretty well taken care of during its life, so thats a plus.
i have owned 2 and will likely get a 3rd when current one wears out.
as you can do your own work then it is not a money pit, parts are generally as cheap as other cars, but things will break and wear out.
most of the commin faults are very easy to fix, some not so... but this forum has a wealth of info and helpful/knowledgable folk.

Old 07-13-2018, 05:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 708 Likes on 633 Posts

Member is wa3ra =

A Jaguar is, after all, a cat. No matter how well behaved
generally, one must expect occasional hissing and hairballs

Old 07-17-2018, 09:18 PM

Found a 05 3.0 with 58k on it. Dealership did say they fixed A/C and replaced radiator hose and cooling fan module.

Should I run? Maybe it overheated.....

Old 07-18-2018, 05:32 AM
Veteran Member

Found a 05 3.0 with 58k on it. Dealership did say they fixed A/C and replaced radiator hose and cooling fan module.

price?

Old 07-18-2018, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by iownme

price?
​​​​​​Listed for 5600

Old 07-18-2018, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member

​​​​​​Listed for 5600
i would check it out. price is pretty good for that low of milage though i have seen cheaper with 50-60k
fan modules on these do go bad and a new rad hose doesnt make me too suspicious

Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 PM
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Beautiful Estate!

Old 10-07-2021, 08:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 X-Type

Babied by old folks, garage kept and never seen winter, I'm going today to look at a used 02 X-Type 3.0 Sedan in Toronto. Is there anything I must be weary of, especially at this point in its existence? I will be buying it with service records and in certifiable condition if the purchase is made. I'm looking to be spending 3000 to 3500 on it and want a summer ride which can be relied on and will not destroy my young wallet. Thanks in advance to anyone who has time to respond today!

Old 10-07-2021, 10:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is probably a good deal on a low mile car. The cooling fan module is a common problem on 02-05, which can kill the A/C from the heat and high pressure. While the coolant temps could rise, there doesn't seem to be catastrophic problems from overheating because of the cooling fan module. Typically under load the car is moving, so the temps move back down.

Old 10-08-2021, 12:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,786 Likes on 719 Posts

Hi Shanabans,

From what I have read from other members comments in the limited time I have been on this forum, here are my thoughts.

Give it a good look over, look for uneven tyre wear front and back, which could be a sign of alignment issues due to worn suspension bushings.
Check all the accessories work, electric seats move in all directions, headlight tilting controls work etc.
Under the hood, you are looking for bad hoses, oil sitting around spark plug coils and rocker covers, any obvious wiring hacks and additions.

If it has been running on salted roads, check chassis and sills for undue corrosion, if it has holes and rot in sills, then many would say walk away!

On you test drive, listen for clunking suspension front and rear when going over judder bars or potholes....worn bushings, shocks (like any car) are common on these.
Check transmission is smooth on up-shifts and down-shifts.
If you can get onto a road that lets you cruise up to higher speeds (70mph) listen for any whine or vibration that might start coming in above 35mph and above in the centre of the car....could be a sign of prop shaft carrier bearing getting past its use by date.
The transfer cases can also be noisy when the has old or little oil in them, and if that has been the case for an extended period the transfer might have incurred undue wear.
Most everyone here would probably suggest a fluids change on transmission and transfer case to start with a known good base line.
Don't look for a trans dipstick....there isn't one.
Read the threads on trans oil changes and transfer cases to get an idea of what you might be looking at.

The cars a a really nice drive and if you get a good one you will really love it.
You probably should expect to be doing much of the maintenance and odd repairs yourself to keep your cost of ownership under control as dealer repairs will probably hurt.

Plenty of advise and help from members here if you have something pop up.

Old 10-08-2021, 08:42 AM
Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I bought a 2005 X-Type sedan about a month ago. The car had 31,900 miles on it. I have gone through it extensively. Their is no rust on it anywhere. The car is in like new condition. I've got about 500 miles on it and it drives and runs great. I am getting about 20 MPG in city driving. I did have to buy and install the transfer case cooling duct. I have also installed weather tech rain deflectors and Jaguar mud flaps. I have to do the AC compressor valve reversal and fluid changes. The car smells new when you open the door. I paid $ 7,500.00 for the car. I think that is a premium price but the alternative was to buy a new car to replace my 2001 XK8 that was totaled. Buying the X-Type will save me about $ 26,000.00 if it lasts six years. A spectacular value in my humble opinion. The long term will determine if this car is in fact a good buy.