X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overheating problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2013, 01:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem

So i`ve just spent some time researching the forum and i`m confused. If my x type is overheating at highway speeds (70-75 mph) it`s not a problem with cooling fans ? but probably the water pump or maybe just the thermostat? I still think my fans are not running properly and am looking at replacing the whole fan assembly.Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks

Old 03-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 301 Likes on 279 Posts

Matt, have you experienced any coolant loss? A couple possibilities are the coolant overflow reservoir is know to crack and leak. Also, water pumps are not uncommon for needing to be replaced on our cars. When mine went at about 100K it seemed like it might have been leaking ever so slightly, although I didn't experience any overheating. I made an appointment to get it replaced and when I dropped it off when they were pulling the car into the bay it let loose and there was coolant leaking all over. Man, did I get lucky. There are also a number of members that had to replace their thermostats as well.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:35 PM
Default overheating

no coolant loss..level in reservoir is full...gonna change thermostat tomorrow and maybe do water pump also before i order cooling fan assembly (ouch).....can`t find just a new module...already tried a used one...i still think they don`t work the way they should

Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

mattr, it is possible that you have 2 issues and the car can be overheating at both highway speeds and in town. But, you don't mention issues with in town driving. Also keep in mind that at highway speeds, the motor is generating much more heat and if you have a flow issue (due to worn water pump blading or a stuck mostly closed thermostat), it may not allow sufficient flow to keep the motor ok. BUt, at town speeds, the motor is not making as much heat and that amount of flow is sufficient.

But, like was suggested, check to make sure that you have adequate water in the overflow bottle. If it is low, you can loose suction pressure and the water pump can cavitate at faster speeds, resulting in loss of flow too.

If you need more info, let me know.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:26 PM

So today I changed the water pump in the X..could`nt get the old thermostat out as one bolt was rusted and head rounded. As i was doing the coolant refilling the radiator fans finally came on at the speed they`re supposed to run. ( I guess..as this is the FIRST time I have seen them spin so fast.) As I continued the refill...running and shutting down motor..the fans never came on again.I did get them to spin slowly by turning on AC. I assume the fans/module are bad? Is there any type of heat sensor involved?

Old 03-11-2013, 06:01 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

mattr, the fans are controlled from the ECU which is using the engine Coolant temperature (ECT) sensor which is mounted in the head as I recall. There is no specific thermostat just for the fans.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM

I am having a similar overheating problem in my '04 X-Type. It only overheats on longer highway trips only after I stop and start up again during the trip. After having it in the shop, it turns out that it is not actually overheating. It has something to do with the cluster guage going out. I don't know much more specifics at this point. I would say before replacing any more engine components make sure that the car is actually overheating. If not, you have a guage problem like mine.