X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0171, p0174, p1111

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:08 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Question P0171, p0174, p1111

Ok, I know over the last year I've seen these numbers, but of course when you need the information on them, you can never find them quick enough, even if you do there not always where you want to be. So I started a new thread.
Here's where I'm at, just like everyone else all of a sudden, the cars been running great for the past year. So, I know that with my reader bank 1 & 2 are running lean. I checked for a crack in any of my vacum lines that I could see found none, I'm thinking intake gasket or O-rings a good possible problem. Which will be a good time to change those rear plugs at the same time. It's not something that is going on all the time. Yesterday, problem started, I went to Autozone (I had an old reader that didn't work), they read the codes, and reset. I ran the car 450 miles, not once did anything change, the car ran great. Stopped a couple of places, and no light no problem with the cold weather and snow, ran great. Came home, put the car in the garage. This morning, went to do some shopping, got 200 yards down the road and light came on, went some 45 miles round trip, bought a new reader. It gave me the same readings, can't figure if it's a vacum leak causeing the lean fuel problem, if it was I think it would be happening all the time and it's not. So, now I'm thinking more on the fuel injectors haveing a problem. I have put in some injector cleaner in the last couple months, and my milage has come up. Could I have caused a problem, shifting some dirt around? But the P1111, has me, (no DTC found, see manual). what's DTC I should know this but it's not coming to me. I haven't looked it up yet, I know there's a lot of good guys in here and I'm interested in all comments and suggestions

Old 12-14-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

P1000 just means that the system is not ready (still detects a problem). Once you get the P1111 code instead, the system is "ready" and the problem isn't being detected anymore.

Last edited by blaydes99; 12-16-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

P1111 Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Intermittent High Voltage

Old 12-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Default Got the P1000

Originally Posted by blaydes99
P1111 just means that the system is not ready (still detects a problem). Once you get the P1000 code instead, the system is "ready" and the problem isn't being detected anymore (which means you should reset your codes when you see a P1000 to turn the CEL off).
Yes I did get the P1000, it was jusst the P1111 code came through, new reader. My old one was out dated and wouldn't read my x-type. So just getting use to the new one. I got a Actron, auto scanner, nice scanner just getting use to it.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 27 Posts

Just use this thread to find any other codes that come up: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=18395

P1000 OBD Systems Readiness Test Not Complete

P1111 System Pass

Old 12-14-2010, 08:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Probably IMT o-rings. Unbutton the top one and see if you have the original yellow o-ring. Listen for the tell tale whistling noise if they are leaking. Ditto on the P1111 = all systems ready. Is it time for plugs anyways?

Last edited by mohrd; 12-14-2010 at 09:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
vai1953 (12-15-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

When you get the P1111 STOP ERASING/CLEARING THE CODE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P1111 is a GOOD THING!!!!!

Clear the DTC P1111 and you will get P 1000

You have to start all over again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU CAN ONLY HAVE ONE OR THE OTHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!

bob gauff

Old 12-14-2010, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by mohrd
Probably IMT o-rings. Unbutton the top one and see if you have the original yellow o-ring. Listen for the tell tale whistling noise if they are leaking. Ditto on the P111 = all systems ready. Is it time for plugs anyways?
The IMT o-rings, are they where the brake booster line goes into the intake manifold and the other one is over by the front of the intake?

Old 12-14-2010, 09:33 PM
Veteran Member

The IMT's are the two black circular pieces you see when you look down at the intake while facing the car from the passenger side fender. easy to unbolt the upper one to see what you have for an o-ring. Yellow is no good. Green means it's got the updated one.

Do a quick search in the X-type section and there will be pictures.

Last edited by mohrd; 12-14-2010 at 09:38 PM.
vai1953 (12-15-2010)
Old 12-15-2010, 10:37 AM

I checked my IMT O-rings and they are yellow, so I guess I have to get the green one's. Do they come in the intake gasket Kit or do I have to get them from the dealer? I wonder if Ford might carry them, The closest Jaguar dealer to me is like 60 or so miles away. Any one that has changed them, could you let me know where you got yours, Thanks
Also, the 2 little black vacuum lines that are on the intake manifold, do they have o-rings on them and do they just pull out or is there a way they come out with out breaking them. I would think that after those plastic pieces sitting in that hot manifold all that time, they would become brittle. Any suggestions?

Last edited by vai1953; 12-15-2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 05:00 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

So then this site if full of crap when it comes to codes? http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/jaguar/

Old 12-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vai1953
I checked my IMT O-rings and they are yellow, so I guess I have to get the green one's. Do they come in the intake gasket Kit or do I have to get them from the dealer? I wonder if Ford might carry them, The closest Jaguar dealer to me is like 60 or so miles away. Any one that has changed them, could you let me know where you got yours, Thanks
Also, the 2 little black vacuum lines that are on the intake manifold, do they have o-rings on them and do they just pull out or is there a way they come out with out breaking them. I would think that after those plastic pieces sitting in that hot manifold all that time, they would become brittle. Any suggestions?
Most have replaced with the o-rings from the dealer for a couple bucks but I think there was recent discussion that they might be interchangeable with the 3.0 V6 from the Lincoln LS. I<3 did a swap with the LS engine. Somewhere in this post I think. I think it was Razkid who was asking.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=46744

As far as the vacuum lines that attach at the intake, the collar that is in there needs to be pushed down as you pull the line out.

Last edited by mohrd; 12-15-2010 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Originally Posted by Razkid
So then this site if full of crap when it comes to codes? http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/jaguar/
The OBD II codes are an important part of the troubleshooting your car and identifying the problem. Using a code chart specific to the year, make and model is imperative in finding the cause of your problem. I have information and codes for the X-Type but never posted them, I will soon.

vai1953 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 08:30 AM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

This probably the most comprehensive DTC summary up to 2005.

If your car is listed it is the correct DTC guide (Jaguar)

bob gauff

Attached Files
Old 12-16-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by motorcarman
This probably the most comprehensive DTC summary up to 2005.

If your car is listed it is the correct DTC guide (Jaguar)

bob gauff
Motorcarman, my problem seems to be intermitent. I can clear the codes except P1111 and the car runs great for a couple hundred miles, the only other thing I can see is that the milage is lower than it use to be. I can't really see it being a vacuum leak, cause it don't happen all the time, and the car still runs great. any ideas?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:32 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am attaching the OBD II chart for your car. I am also going to provide a link to a troubleshooting procedure that works for most cars and should work fine for yours. I recently had to chase down a leak (P0171 & P0174) and used Throttle Body cleaner and would spray it until the engine began shacking telling me I was spraying in the right place. When you look up the P0171 & P0174 you will see that they are related to a vacuum leak most of time. As noted it could also be related to MAFS that can be cleaned to a host of other things. Look at the possible cause and eliminate the simple and work your way to the others. Note: Along with the “O” rings I understand the vacuum hose to the brake seems to develop leaks. I hope others that know the X-Type will chime in.
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...otos/P0171.pdf

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
X400_02_P_DTC_OBD_II_R4.pdf (690.3 KB, 350 views)
vai1953 (12-16-2010)
Old 12-16-2010, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
I am attaching the OBD II chart for your car. I am also going to provide a link to a troubleshooting procedure that works for most cars and should work fine for yours. I recently had to chase down a leak (P0171 & P0174) and used Throttle Body cleaner and would spray it until the engine began shacking telling me I was spraying in the right place. When you look up the P0171 & P0174 you will see that they are related to a vacuum leak most of time. As noted it could also be related to MAFS that can be cleaned to a host of other things. Look at the possible cause and eliminate the simple and work your way to the others. Note: Along with the “O” rings I understand the vacuum hose to the brake seems to develop leaks. I hope others that know the X-Type will chime in.
http://www.gusglikas.com/images/Auto...otos/P0171.pdf
Thanks Gus, I've turned wreaches for a living and I know just because you get one reading that doesn't mean that's the start of the problem. I'm new to Jaguars and really haven't worked on cars for awhile, i went to heavey equipement, but I also know that where there's a problem there's always an answer. When I called the dealer, and talked to the parts man, he told me that there were three o-rings in the IMT unit, knowing what I know I had to see it for myself, so I took the top one out and there was only one, which is what I would have thought to be in there. I also found a little corrosion around the bolt holes, so I cleaned that up. The car runs great, I know i haven't fixed the problem, but that's a start. Not everyone takes care of there car like everyone else, so there's still a lot that needs to be done for me to be able to count on my car. Thanks for all the information. I still want to pull the intake and put rear bank plugs in, who i bought the car off of might not have every had them changed, and I want to place the yellow o-rings for the upgraded green ones. Although, I don't think this is where my problem is coming from. Thanks for all the information, I'll take the time to look it over tonight, tomorrow I'll go to the dealer who is 2 hours away, and get the parts I need, and start doing some well needed maintance.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:35 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You know that there is no shame in going online or to the local NAPA or AutoZone for parts.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:39 PM

Gus, I have Autozone on my speed dail..LOL But I called Autozone & NAPA, I would think with the O-rings they have enough in stock that I could go and match them up and install them, NAPA had the intake gasket, but Autozone didn't. I just figured if the o-ring were a update it might be a good idea to get them from the dealer and while I was there get the gasket too. I have a 02 x-type, and I know they can be a little tempermental, so I'm trying to keep it happy...LOL

Old 12-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by vai1953
Gus, I have Autozone on my speed dail..LOL But I called Autozone & NAPA, I would think with the O-rings they have enough in stock that I could go and match them up and install them, NAPA had the intake gasket, but Autozone didn't. I just figured if the o-ring were a update it might be a good idea to get them from the dealer and while I was there get the gasket too. I have a 02 x-type, and I know they can be a little tempermental, so I'm trying to keep it happy...LOL
I don't think that either of those guys would have the correct o-rings, is there not a Jag Dealer near you? They aren't one of those part where a snotty British guy at the parts counter will tell you they are 50.00 each.

Quick Reply: P0171, p0174, p1111