X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P174 and p1111 codes again

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P174 and p1111 codes again

Did a search says something about o-rings I forget ... Autozone told me its the o2 sensor which my reading of the forum says no

I had this problem a few months back and it went away after a tank of gas so I though it was fuel related

I went to the Zone and erased the codes, put in an octane boost it came back on afer about 10-15 minutes of driving

I also just filled up the car with mobil 93 with no difference

Could it be fuel related or would this o-ring thing be intermittent?

Can we fix it at the meet next saturday? If so let me know what parts I need or can someone take a look at it ahead of time?

Old 10-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

pngklr, the "o-rings" that you are most likely talking about is the IMT valve o-rings. They take about 15 minutes to replace. You just need to get your hands on 2 of them (1 for each of the IMT valves). You undo the 2 screws, slide the IMT valve out, slide off the o-ring, slide on the new one, tighten down. With this being said, the upper is that easy. The lower one is a little more difficult as you will end up stretching the o-ring some to slide it out over where the bolts hold it in place. Otherwise you can't back the IMT valve out far enough to pull them off the other way.

I would also check the brake booster line for any cracks in it. That is another common place for a vacuum leak to form.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:14 PM

where exactly do I find these (on the vehicle a picture would be awesome)and is there a part # my fiancee has been driving the car and I dont want her to drive the car in limp mode for a far distance

Old 10-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is what Chris (Thermo) told me earlier today. Hope it helps.

The IMT valves (Intake Manifold Tuning valves-designed to alter the characteristics of the motor to help make more power at higher RPMs) are big holes on the intake and they are prone to leaking for our cars. The IMT valves are located on the top of the engine facing the passenger tire. If you see the big silver piece of the intake, you will see 2 big black disks on the side. The black disks are the IMT valves. You will see how the lower one is wedged in there pretty good.

As for the intake o-rings, the silver intake of your car (top center of the engine) is actually a 2 piece unit (you only really see the top half). The bottom half gets bolted to the engine, then the top half gets bolted to the bottom half. This is done to make working on the engine easier after installation. But, like I mentioned above, if you get a leak here, it can lead to problems with the engine.

If you talk with the guys at Nalley, tell them that you need the following parts:

-two IMT valve o-rings
-1 kit of the intake manifold gaskets

If they ask any questions about the intake manifold gaskets, tell them you need the ones between the upper and lower manifold halves, not the ones between the intake manifold and the heads. They should know which ones you are talking about.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM

I'm gonna run out and take a peek where do I find the brake booster valve I appreciate all the help and I've also read through quite a few posts also in regards to this

Old 10-09-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't help ya with that one. I don't even know what that is. Sorry! Somebody should be along to help soon.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:44 PM

side of the engine (passenger) now where do I look ? sorry I am so clueless

Old 10-09-2010, 08:43 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I know nothing about your car and the engine configuration but I think this link might help http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairTroubleShooting.htm You will see links for P0171 & P0174 codes (vacuum leaks) combustion lean. What I did to find my http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepair2...VacuumLeak.htm leak was to spray throttle body cleaner all around and when I found the spot the engine began shaking. I hope this helps! Again I have little info on your car, I was surfing around and thought I would try to help.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:09 PM

I googled "brake booster line jaguar 2005 x-type", and came up with this page.
Do you see anything that looks like that?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

pnyklr, take the pic that you took. Locate the strut tower on the passenger side. Now, work your way towards the centerline of the car. See those 2 black circles (one on top of the other, about 3" in diameter), those are the IMT valves. They have the orange and black wires coming off of them (atleast that is how it looks in the pics). Undo the 2 bolts on each that are in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions, slide the valves out, and replace the o-rings.

As for the brake booster check valve, you will need to go over to the drivers side of the car, up near the firewall. Up at the top of the firewall there, you will see a large piece sticking out of the firewall with a small clear bottle sitting on top. That is your brake booster. If you move over to stand in front of the car, if you look on the brake booster, down near the 8 o'clock position on the brake booster, you will see a rubber line coming off of it. If you follow it, this line runs over to the engine. This is the line in question. This line tends to develop cracks in it, leading to vacuum problems.

If you need more help, let me know. As for part numbers, if you tell the shop that you need the IMT valve o-rings, they should know what you are needing.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:04 PM

The brake booster hose I dont see any cracks in it

the IMT Valves looks to have a part # of

pa66-6f33 both have the same part #

Old 10-10-2010, 09:42 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

pynklr, the check valve (bulbous thing in the middle of the hose) on the brake boost hose is what causes the most problems in that area. If it is "white" in color, it will most likely crack underneath. The new one is shrink wrapped in black. IMT o-rings are new if they are "green" and old if they are "yellow". Since you are only getting the lean code for the one bank, look at that check valve first. Replace the IMT o-rings anyways as they will eventually need it if not already done. Last thing to look at is the PCV hose (about eight inches long and one inch diameter) slightly right of center at tyhe front of the car. If it's "ribbed" it's probably already been replaced, if not it will develop a split underneath that you can't always find just by looking.

Any of these three things are simple cheap fixes.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:58 AM

Called Nalley ordered the brake booster hose a new PVC valve and the IMT seals also found the reservoir cap for the brake fluid to be almost completely broken in two so I ordered a new one of those also they were very nice