Sponsored by:

parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default parking sensors

they were working 2 weeks ago!!!!

x type 2.5 v6 sport 2001

i checked the fuses in the engine bay and under the glove box, but they all seem to be fine.

any ideas please would be great
thanks in advance

Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

jimbob, when you put the car in Reverse, do you get a 3-5 second constant chime? If yes, then put the key in the ignition, set the parking brake, with the motor off, put the car into Reverse. Now, get out of the car and put your ear next to each of the 4 sensors. Listen for a high pitch squeal/chirp. if you hear that, then that sensor is working. If you don't hear it on one of the sensors, that is your bad sensor, replace that sensor.

If you are not getting the chime at all (even when really close to something when backing up), I would again check to see if you are getting any chirping out of the sensors. If you are getting chirping, then your parking aide speaker is blown and needs to be replaced. if you do not get any sound out of all 4 sensors, then odds are your parking aide computer bit the dust. If you want to diagnose it down more, let me know and I will see what more we can do to confirm a few things. This will require the use of a multimeter though and I am not sure how your abilities of using one of those is. But, I can talk you through it all.

The following users liked this post:
carlinasj (06-06-2012)
Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is there a guide to replacing the speaker?

Old 06-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Veteran member

Replacing the speaker is pretty straight forward. As I recall, if you look on the underside of the rear deck, you will see a small black box. Undo the screws holding it in place, undo the plug and the speaker will be able to be removed from the car. Installing is the reverse. Not too difficult. The big thing will be if you can position yourself in the trunk of the car to make getting at the speaker a little easier.

carlinasj (06-06-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
if you do not get any sound out of all 4 sensors, then odds are your parking aide computer bit the dust. If you want to diagnose it down more...
Thermo, I have that exact issue. Beyond checking the fuses, I am not sure how to start troubleshooting. I just picked up the '04 X-Type with the sensor system not working. Is there a way to check if the computer is working or not? I am good with a meter....

[jimbo - My appologies for jumping in here. Please let me know if this is not correct forum etiquette.]

Old 06-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran member

Sparky, looking at the diagrams for your car, what I will have you do is to park your car with the e-brake set (so the car will not roll). Now, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (do not start the engine) and put the car in Reverse. This will cause the reverse lights to light up. Verify that the reverse lights are on. If they are not, let me know as this is going to take us down a completely different path.

At this point, open the trunk of your car and remove the cover over the spare tire. If you look about 1 foot to the left of center, you should see a control box there with a bunch of wires coming out of it. I want you to find the plug that has a 14 wire plug to it. In pin 1, there will be a green wire. Verify that you have 12 VDC there when measuring to ground. If you do not have 12 VDC, then you have either a blown fuse or the wiring between the fuse and the module is bad.

If you have 12 VDC, verify you have power to pin 6 (green wire with a black stripe to it). if you do not have 12 VDC here, but your reverse lights are on, then you have a problem with the wiring of the car between the reverse lights and the parking aid module. If you do have 12 VDC, then continue.

Next, you will see a 12 pin plug with 6 wires coming off of it (5 wires that have a white stripe or are white and then a black wire with a green stripe). Check for 12 VDC between Pins 11 (red wire with a white stripe - Positive) and 6 (black wire with a green stripe - negative). If you do not have 12 VDC here, you have a bad parking aid module. If you have 12 VDC, put your ear next to each sensor and verify that you have a chirping sound coming from each of the 4 sensors. The sensor that does not have a chirping sound is bad and needs to be replaced.

Next, place something fairly big (cardboard box, tool box, etc) in front of one of the sensors. Locate Pins 2 and 10 on this same plug as you used initially to verify you had power to the module. It should have a red wire with a blue stripe at Pin10 (positive) and a blue wire (negative) at Pin 2. If the box is hard up against the sensor, you should have 12 VDC. If not, then most likely you have a bad parking aid module. If you do have 12 VDC, then you have a bad speaker.

Hope this helps.

The following 3 users liked this post by Thermo:
carlinasj (06-06-2012), Ounce (03-18-2013), tonytft (11-11-2012)
Old 06-05-2012, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Check for 12 VDC between Pins 11 (red wire with a white stripe - Positive) and 6 (black wire with a green stripe - negative). If you do not have 12 VDC here, you have a bad parking aid module.
Great steps... Thanks Thermo! This is where my voltage stops. I went online but cannot find the 4X43-15K866-AB part that I need. Lots of 1X43's available but none of the 4X43s that has three connectors. I will try the local dealership next for a quote on how much.

On a side note... while following the procedure, I noticed that I can shift from park without the key in the ignition... now that can't be right is it?!?

(very much appreciate the great troubleshooting procedure!)

Old 06-06-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Jimbobgts for posting this question. I just bought my 2003 X-type last week and I am not getting any kind of sound that I can hear when I put it in reverse. So I jumped on the forum and low and behold, there is the question along with some answers on how to find out where the problem lies. With this being my very first Jaguar, I am still learning alot of new things about this car every day. My husband thinks that I am nuts because I can't wait to get my hands dirty and start working on this car! Thanks so much Thermo too for all of your valuable advice and expertise,!!

Last edited by carlinasj; 06-06-2012 at 01:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 06-06-2012, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

carlinasj, if you need anything, just hollar. As you see, I will spell things out enough to give even the most inexperience people enough information to help them succeed. I have spent many years trying to teach mechanics how electricity works.

The following 2 users liked this post by Thermo:
carlinasj (06-06-2012), JimC64 (08-13-2012)
Old 06-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thermo, thank you so very much for this info. Thanks to you, I was able to find out that the problem with my rear parking aide is the speaker. Do you by chance have any idea on how much a new speaker would run me? Or could I possibly find a used one that will work? And is it called the rear parking aide speaker or is there another name for it?

Old 06-07-2012, 07:05 AM
Veteran member

carlinasj, looking around, finding a used one seems to be a bit troublesome. Besides, the list price for a new speaker directly from Jaguar is only $42. If you talk to Nalley Jaguar (sponsor here), they should be able to get that part for you and delivered to your house for roughly that. Just let them know that you are a member here.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:00 PM

Great advise thermo. I will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Ur a star

Old 06-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thermo,
the 2 plugs to the control unit are 10 wire & 8 wire. I took them out. The 10-wire plug has 12 pins on the connecting side to the unit. The 8-wire has 10 pins. But I was not able to figure out which is Pin 1, the green wire canot be traced because there is protective shroud around the plug. I even looked at the electrical diagram. But no help there. So how do I figure out which pin is the grren wire?
Thank you.
2004 X-Type 3.0L AWD 153,000 miles

Old 08-12-2012, 04:49 PM

Thermo could you also help me please i have a manual station wagon and reversing sensors along with reversing lights have stopped working my control unit beside spare wheel has 3 plugs thank you. Terry

Old 08-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Veteran member

Terry, since you have a manual tranny, odds are, your problem lies in either the fuse that powers the reverse lights or the switch in the tranny is toast and you need a new switch installed (bolts on to the outside of the tranny). If you want me to help you narrow things down to something more specific, let me know and I will tell you some electrical checks to perform. I just need to know if you know how to use a multimeter or not.

Old 08-13-2012, 02:07 PM

thank you thermo for your reply i would be grateful for your help i am an electrician so know my way around test equipment i have checked fuses 2, 33, 34, 43, all fine also bridged terminals on black plug on top of gearbox behind battery still no lights that is as far as i have gone because i have no wiring diagram. i look forward to your next post
terry

Old 08-13-2012, 03:46 PM
Veteran member

Terry, if you remove the plug from the tranny again, you should see two green/black wires there. One side runs to the reverse lights/rear view mirror/parking assist module. The other side is coming from Fuse #34 in the passenger compartment fuse box. I would check both sides of the plug for 12 VDC (make sure the key is in the RUN/II position). If you are not getting 12 VDC on either of the posts, then go back to Fuse #34 and if you look on the top of the fuse, you will see 2 very small metal posts, check both of those for 12 VDC. If you get 12 VDC on only 1 side, then you have a bad fuse that just happen to fail so you can not see that the fuse is blown (perform continuity check of the fuse just to confirm). If you get 12 VDC on both sides, then you have a bad wire between the fuse box and the switch on the tranny. If you don't get 12 VDC on either post, then you have a problem inside the fuse box.

If you get 12 VDC on one of the posts at the tranny, then install a jumper wire between the two posts (needs to be able to handle up to 10 amps). Now, back at one of the tail lights, find the green/black wire going in (terminal 2 on the left hand side, terminal 6 on the right hand side). Do you have 12 VDC there? If no, then you have a wiring problem between the tranny and the rear of the car. Run a new wire. If you are getting 12 VDC there, then you have 2 bad bulbs along with a problem in the parking aide system (highly unlikely, but possible).

if you want a wiring diagram to your car, let me know. I will send you what I have and that should make finding things a lot easier in the future for you. The diagram is for the 2004.25 MY, but it is the same as your 2005.

terry10 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 3732
Size:  19.3 KB

Originally Posted by terry10
i have no wiring diagram.terry
Hey Terry, unsure if this may help or not, but worth having a look?

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...nks-faq-34883/

terry10 (08-14-2012)
Old 08-14-2012, 02:46 PM

Thank you Thermo for your time and help, problem now solved fuse 34 was blown as you said "not visible" when replaced I found one bulb was out and assume that when it failed it blew the fuse. I would be very grateful if you could send me a wiring diagram for future use.

Thank you JimC64 for the link which I have bookmarked.
Terry

Old 08-14-2012, 09:00 PM
Veteran member

Terry, PM me your e-mail addy and I will send it your way.

Quick Reply: parking sensors