X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

need a bit of help with my sensors , i have an auto , i got the 3 second chime and i found the bad non chirping sensor and replaced it but still have the 3 second chime , will i assume its the module needing replaced as i can get them of fleabay for £30 or do i pay an auto electrician an hour to properly diganose? i am not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but am not a daftae so any help would be appreciated
thanks a bunch guys

Old 08-25-2012, 07:10 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

muirtons, the parking sensor module is located in the spare tire well. Get a different module, access the spare tire and swap out the module. Pretty straight forward. Should not require any reprogramming. Granted, before you go that far, I would do another round of listening to the parking sensors to make sure you have all 4 chirping. Stranger things have happened.

The following users liked this post:
muirtons (08-25-2012)
Old 08-31-2012, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Well i swapped the module and still a 3 sec beep and no sensors , i think i will just disconnect them , easier although i like things to work ,i have cleaned all 4 and made sure they chirp , shame i would have preffered rear sensors

Old 11-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thermo
Sparky, looking at the diagrams for your car, what I will have you do is to park your car with the e-brake set (so the car will not roll). Now, turn the ignition key to the RUN position (do not start the engine) and put the car in Reverse. This will cause the reverse lights to light up. Verify that the reverse lights are on. If they are not, let me know as this is going to take us down a completely different path.

At this point, open the trunk of your car and remove the cover over the spare tire. If you look about 1 foot to the left of center, you should see a control box there with a bunch of wires coming out of it. I want you to find the plug that has a 14 wire plug to it. In pin 1, there will be a green wire. Verify that you have 12 VDC there when measuring to ground. If you do not have 12 VDC, then you have either a blown fuse or the wiring between the fuse and the module is bad.

If you have 12 VDC, verify you have power to pin 6 (green wire with a black stripe to it). if you do not have 12 VDC here, but your reverse lights are on, then you have a problem with the wiring of the car between the reverse lights and the parking aid module. If you do have 12 VDC, then continue.

Next, you will see a 12 pin plug with 6 wires coming off of it (5 wires that have a white stripe or are white and then a black wire with a green stripe). Check for 12 VDC between Pins 11 (red wire with a white stripe - Positive) and 6 (black wire with a green stripe - negative). If you do not have 12 VDC here, you have a bad parking aid module. If you have 12 VDC, put your ear next to each sensor and verify that you have a chirping sound coming from each of the 4 sensors. The sensor that does not have a chirping sound is bad and needs to be replaced.

Next, place something fairly big (cardboard box, tool box, etc) in front of one of the sensors. Locate Pins 2 and 10 on this same plug as you used initially to verify you had power to the module. It should have a red wire with a blue stripe at Pin10 (positive) and a blue wire (negative) at Pin 2. If the box is hard up against the sensor, you should have 12 VDC. If not, then most likely you have a bad parking aid module. If you do have 12 VDC, then you have a bad speaker.

Hope this helps.
Hi Thermo, this advise is great thank you I have the same problem in which I change the gear shift switch the ear reversing lights worked fine but not the audible alarm so with the aid of the explanation and the wiring diagram I can now go to the next stage,thanks. For you info the speaker can be bought cheaply from Tandy or any other electronic shops and only cost a few dollars.
Again excellent advise.

Old 08-09-2016, 08:14 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My rear parking sensor popped out or I should say popped in.
Its still working but fell inside the bumper.
I can only guess High pressure washing pushed it in.
Anyone know how I can get inside the bumper?
I don't see access from the trunk ( 2011 Jag XJ)

Old 08-09-2016, 01:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Pa.Bill, unfortunately, you are going to have to pull the bumper cover off to get it back in the hole. It doesn't take all that long to pull off.

Old 08-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

I just added Park sensors to my car.
The park sensor cover under the bumper can be removed without removing the bumper cover. On each side of the black under cover there are two bolts holding it on and three center plastic pop-out rivets. With these removed you most likely can reach in without completely removing the sensor undercover. If you need to get more space the undercover just snaps into the bumper cover across the length of the bumper cover. Unfortunately I did not take a photo of the complete undercover, but this photo shows the tabs that attach it to the bumper cover.

Last edited by hlgeorge; 08-09-2016 at 04:32 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:02 PM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Parking Sensors

Originally Posted by Thermo
Replacing the speaker is pretty straight forward. As I recall, if you look on the underside of the rear deck, you will see a small black box. Undo the screws holding it in place, undo the plug and the speaker will be able to be removed from the car. Installing is the reverse. Not too difficult. The big thing will be if you can position yourself in the trunk of the car to make getting at the speaker a little easier.
Thanks for that. However, I have looked under my rear deck and the following photos show what is there on my 2007 X-type saloon. I cannot find a small black box and so have no idea where my parking assist speaker is. Can anybody provide a late/revised location. Thanks. (oh, by the way, I had to take 3 photos to show the underside of the deck, or rear shelf, as there isn't much room in the boot/trunk for me)....

Left side

Centre section

Right side

Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts
Old 09-25-2018, 12:14 AM
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks again, Dell. I have found it! I thought it was visible from the trunk, but only the plastic things that hold it on are visible (as per the two black 'things' at the bottom of my 2nd photo). I also didn't know what those large round discs were and thought they must have been speakers, but they pop up and give easy access to the speaker/buzzer. Whew! Now to get a new speaker.... Thanks also to Thermo and Stephen11962 for their older posts.