X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger door wont open. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 08:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default passenger door wont open. HELP!

so the problem is that sometimes when i pull on the driver handle which unlocks all the doors the passenger door will not unlock. it will show it unlocked and when you pull on it all my door locks go crazy locking and unlocking but the passenger door wont unlock. Now if i close all the doors and use the FOB to lock and unlock the car then all the doors unlock with out any problem.
has anyone ever had this problem?
its only with the passenger door and it does it sometimes.
does anyone know how to fix this or what this even is?
i have an 03 x type 3.0L

Old 02-11-2011, 07:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

You likely have a linkage issue inside the door. Pull the panel off and check your linkage to see if the clip is broken. If it is intact you may be able to adjuste the clip on the rod a little to preload the handle. If it's broken, well you have to get a new one.

I would start with that anyway, let us know if that works and if not then we can try to figure it out from there.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:47 AM

Kk I'll do that when I have a day off and or no school.
I'll definetly let you know how it goes.

Old 02-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

First thing to check before taking off the door panel, try unlocking the door with the key in the drivers door. You should unlock it by turning once and all doors by turning twice, then if that works then lock by doing the same thing.

If that works then it isn't linkage but likely electronics. And probably has more to do with the drivers door since everything else has no effect. Another thing is if you have a passenger, and without you opening your door first can they unlock and open the door?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Door won't open

Originally Posted by charm11
so the problem is that sometimes when i pull on the driver handle which unlocks all the doors the passenger door will not unlock. it will show it unlocked and when you pull on it all my door locks go crazy locking and unlocking but the passenger door wont unlock. Now if i close all the doors and use the FOB to lock and unlock the car then all the doors unlock with out any problem.
has anyone ever had this problem?
its only with the passenger door and it does it sometimes.
does anyone know how to fix this or what this even is?
i have an 03 x type 3.0L
There is a recall or TSB for this problem. It is the rod from the pull to the lock that is at fault.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 AM

Sidewalkman, if the passenger pulls on their handle (this also unlocks all doors) his door still won't open sometimes. All the locks go crazy locking and unlocking tho. It's not until I lock and unlock the car up with the fob (and probably by unlocking it with the key) that it finally works.

Adam, thank you so much for this info. I'm going to look up the recalls for the car and see if there is anyway I can see what has been done to my car from recalls.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:21 PM

i looked into the recalls and there are only two apparently, one that is for the E break, and the other one for a turn signal.
I have come to the conclusion that my alternator is slowly dying and thats were all the problems are coming from.

Old 02-13-2011, 07:58 AM

I have to apologize, when I looked at the service order the previous owner left in the car the door handle rod was fixed under warranty. The person who owned the car before me kept all the service orders in the car, so I have almost a complete history of the car. Yes, if your electrical system is not charging this could cause problems. I had a bunch of gremlins in my car when I first got it. Sometimes electrical stuffed worked and sometimes not. The battery went bad in September I had it replaced and now I don't have anymore gremlins, for the most part.

Old 02-14-2011, 06:40 PM
Smile Door won't open

Do you have the Fob programmed to unlock all the doors with one push on the button? Or when you push on the button only the drivers door unlock? If the latter reprogram your fob to unlock all four doors with one push on the unlock avatar. It is outlined in the manual how to reprogram the fob to unlock all four doors or just the drivers door.

Old 02-14-2011, 11:39 PM

hmm i need to press the unlock button on the fob twice for it to unlock all doors, pressing the unlock button once unlocks the driver door only.
i think its the alternator or battery for the fact the sometimes the door does that thing and sometimes it doesnt, sometimes my stereo display works and sometimes it doesnt, and also the trunk and glove compartment lights work sometimes and sometimes they dont. i took it to a battery place and they told me the battery is just a little under performance then he told me maybe one of my grounds might not be tight and thus all the problems are happening but i dont think its my grounds.

Old 02-15-2011, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts

The X is very sensitive to battery conditions. IMHO it is worth your time to thoroughly clean your battery leads at both ends, fully charge your battery, and then monitor it for a bit to see if your issues are resolved. Not much cost involved in that and gives you a solid starting point for further diagnosis.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Smile Locks

As I posted recently I was having all kinds of gremlins with my car for months, doors wouldn't unlock, high beam light would come on, couldn't shut the radio off, had to turn the car off. Finally the battery went, so I got a new battery, the exact same as stock and all the gremlins went away. Even my back up sensors work much better now. So as someone posted these cars are very sensitive to the condition of the battery. I still would look in your owner manual and reprogram you fob to open all doors with one press on the unlock avatar. I bet your problem will be solved. If you battery is a little weak get a new one, it is worth the investment.

Old 02-15-2011, 07:51 PM

Ill definitely do what Chris X says, my dad told me to do the same thing so ill totally do that.
Adam, i sadly dont have the manual the prev owner wanted to keep that stuff as a memory or something. i will monitor my battery and then see if i should buy a alternator or new battery. (which ever is not working well)