Sponsored by:

Possible Valve Found for Transfer Case Refill

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Possible Valve Found for Transfer Case Refill

Take a look at this product:

http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...ductCode=T202N

I stumbled onto it while looking for drain valves. There are various sizes. This particular one is 1/2" - 14 NPT. There are also adapters/extenders available to bring the length out.

I'm new to the forum, so I want to get the opinion of some "experts."

Please let me know ... Thanks!

Rob

Old 12-30-2010, 07:35 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice find. There are three challenges to overcome:

- the amount of clearance available for screwing any type of valve in
- the length of valve (you'll appreciate this better when you're under the car
- the need to seal the valve to pump fluid higher than the valve level

The body on the valve you linked to seems too long. This one is shorter: http://www.quickoildrainvalve.com/Pr...oductCode=T202 but the questions left to answer are a) whether there's enough clearance to screw it in, and b) how to seal the valve to refill it.

Old 12-30-2010, 07:52 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for sharing. I have an '03 automatic. There's basically no room for any valve to turn as it's threaded and it looks lke this valve would hit the side of the transmission.

I tried the radiator petcock valve and adapter option but the space is so tight you have to grind down the hex head on the adapter. I tried two petcocks but each leaked. I ended-up raising the right side, draining as much as I could, then jacking up the left side and filling until it dribbled out and reused the OEM plug - at least it won't leak.

Wish it were easier.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 12-31-2010, 06:13 AM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

I bought one of these - this exact valve, in the size pictured - a few months ago for my own transfer case oil change. As mentioned, it doesn't fit due to clearance issues. And the supplier wouldn't reply to either of two friendly requests for a return authorization.

Anybody wanna buy a few ounces of brass scrap metal?

Old 12-31-2010, 06:42 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Rob, welcome to the forums. LIke was mentioned, the valve you show will not fit due to clearance issues. The pocket that the valve has to fit in is very tight. That is why a lot of guys are having issues finding something that works. I wish you were a little bit closer to me (I live an hour south of DC), I would tell you to come on over and we would get you taken car of.

I found a valve online that can be had through Napa. Check out: http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...301_0146298424. This is what I am talking about. Please keep in mind that it does have a 1/4" NPT fitting on the end of the valve, so, you will need to adapt it up to a 1/2" NPT thread, but that piece can be had at Lowe's, Home Depot, etc for like $2. As was mentioned though, you will need to round the hex top of the adapter because the clearances are that tight. What I did was installed the adapter to the valve, tightened it down with wrenches, then remove the points on the hex part of the adapter, then I could use the hex part on the valve to tighten things down.

Hope this helps you out.