X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems

I have a 2004 Jaguar X-Type i just changed the headliner and no interior lights would work i found it was a screw nicked a wire for the sunvisor but i fixed that and the dome lights work now but they wont shut off i need help please

Last edited by GGG; 08-01-2016 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Emphasise Model & Year
Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Welcome to the forum Chad,

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X-Type forum. Members here with the same model will be able to help.

Please follow this link New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST forum and post some info about yourself and your vehicle for all members to see. In return you'll get a proper welcome and some useful advice about posting to the forum.

Graham

Old 08-01-2016, 07:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Chad, when was your car made (the month/year is written in the driver's door jam)? I need this to make sure that I get the correct wiring diagram for your car as there were wiring changes made mid year that year.

I would start with removing both the front and rear light assemblies to make sure that they are not the source of the problem. If you are going to have an issue, it will be there. If this does make the lights go out, then I would install one and then see if the problem returns. You can then figure out which one of the light assemblies is the problem. If this doesn't fix the issue, then let me know and we can take things from there.

On a side note, how are you with using a multimeter? Trying to figure out how detailed I may need to make the instructions for the potential troubleshooting.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sorry it must be an 03

it says 10/03
Originally Posted by Thermo
Chad, when was your car made (the month/year is written in the driver's door jam)? I need this to make sure that I get the correct wiring diagram for your car as there were wiring changes made mid year that year.

I would start with removing both the front and rear light assemblies to make sure that they are not the source of the problem. If you are going to have an issue, it will be there. If this does make the lights go out, then I would install one and then see if the problem returns. You can then figure out which one of the light assemblies is the problem. If this doesn't fix the issue, then let me know and we can take things from there.

On a side note, how are you with using a multimeter? Trying to figure out how detailed I may need to make the instructions for the potential troubleshooting.

Old 08-01-2016, 06:50 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Chad, just so you know, you have the early electrical setup and also the viscous coupled transfer case. This will be helpful in future diagnosis of the car should you have problems. As for your car being an 04, there were a lot of 04 cars built at the end of 03. You are not an oddity. Hence why I asked you when the car was built.

As for your situation, I would start with pulling out the front and rear dome lights. Remove them from the head liner and then unplug them from the wiring harness of the car. Do the lights remain on? If no, then we know one of the dome lights is your problem. Install them one at a time, checking the lights in between plugging them up. Also, do not install them into the holes that you pulled them from. If you can plug in both and the lights do not come on, then we know we have a problem where the light fixture is touching a part of the body. Install the lights one at a time and see if the lights come on. If you can reinstall both lights and the interior lights still don't come on at the wrong times, then give each dome light a gentle push up to see if the lights come on then. The one you can give a gentle push on that causes the lights to come on is the one that is the source of your problem. This is where you are going to need to figure out what part of the light is touching the body of the car and figure out a way to insulate it so it can't make contact again.

Assuming that you have the interior lights still on with both dome lights removed, this proves that the problem is either with the wiring harness (more than likely) or with the GEM module. For simplicity, I would say to disconnect the GEM module to verify that the lights remain on. If they go off, then you have a bad GEM module and it is just coincidence that you had this other issue.

If your problem is not the GEM module, at this point, it is 100% for sure in the wiring harness of the car. Now, because you damaged a wire before, I would start in that area and make sure that there are no other wires that are damaged/nicked in that area. That is going to be the most likely place for a problem. Next I would look in the opening of the front dome light to make sure you don't see any damage there. Be really critical of the wiring. It can be something potentially really minor.

Assuming you haven't found a smoking gun yet, the next step will be to remove the left side A-pillar cover. Look at the harness there for any signs of damage. This is where the main feed for the interior lights run from the GEM module up to the roof area. Make sure all the wiring is in good condition and away from the friction clips holding stuff together. Again, be very critical of the wiring.

If you have not found a problem, I would say that the next step is to pull down the visors and then inspect the harness running up by the windshield to make sure that has not been damaged. If you have not found a smoking gun at this point, then you are most likely only going to find it once you have pulled the headliner down again and looked at the wiring running from the front to the rear of the car.

Old 09-12-2016, 10:19 PM
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Chad, may be you accident pushed the button that turn the light on all the time as when you in the car at night and you turn the light on. or the wire was connect to that button.