X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problems with the X-type

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 09:01 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Problems with the X-type

I have an X-type (2.5 litre) and it seems to have small issues on a regular basis. I keep chasing and fixing problems.

*Water pump leaking-fixed
*Lower radiator hose/clamp (3 inch hose) -currently leaking
*Power steering pump hose-currently leaking
*Roof-lining inside car falling in-currently

I have replaced rotors/brakes twice (used Brembo's last time).
I fixed the one way check valve on the brake booster line. When I did it I wrapped the valve with silver heat shielding and wire ties which has worked well. (Do it if you haven't) I did this five years ago and the valve looks new.

I like the car don't get me wrong and owning a twin turbo RX-7 I know what a hangar queen is... But the Jag only has 55,000 miles what gives?

Old 04-11-2014, 06:54 AM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

Mr RX, the water pump going is a common issue to most cars. At 55K miles is probably a little early, but it also depends on how the coolant system was treated and whether they changed out the fluid or not. The same can be said about the hose and it is even more prone to issues because it may see more heat than other parts of the car due to the ambient temps and whatnot (used to live off of Terminal BLVD in Norfolk).

The hot days are also hell on the roof liner. Get your hands on a can of 3M upholstery adhesive and tack it back up there. Otherwise, you are going to be going to an upholstery shop to have them do it for you.

The power steering hose, I would call that just back luck. Granted, if the radiator hose and the power steering hose are kinda in line with each other, could something have gotten under the car and hot both of these hoses? Something to think about.

When it comes to brakes, I feel your pain. I normally end up working on atleast 1 corner of the car every year (normally the rear calipers). I seem to have a big issue with the e-brake levers sticking. But, I rebuild the calipers myself now and I have switched over to some cross-drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads and they have lasted me about 5 years/60K miles and the pads still have a fair amount of meat on them. Not a bad deal since I got 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads for $200.

As you have found with the RX-7, every vehicle has it "common issues". The brakes are a common issue I have seen, the check valve is another one that is a common issue. A roof liner is common to almost any car that has lived most of its life in a hot area after 10 years or so.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:35 AM
Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts

Concur that some of what is described falls in the combined region of 'it happens with age, regardless of mileage' as well as a touch of bad luck.

The headliner is something that has been common, at least in the ones we have had in the family. The adhesive may work great in the UK, but does not hold up to the Texas heat. Both the XK8 and the X-type are 2003 models and had the headliners go around the 10-year mark. Both of dad's S-types (2000 and 2001) also had issues after about 10 years.

The X-type is over 100K and appears to be on the original rotors and quite possibly the original pads. I have not decided what I will put on when the time comes for that task...I always loved the Hawks on the Miata but they don't seem to have a pad for the X-type. The e-brake is not unique to your vehicle...many threads here about the problems, and it is on the list of things to do since, with a manual tranny, having a functional e-brake is pretty much a necessity.

Old 04-11-2014, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Thermo
Mr RX, the water pump going is a common issue to most cars. At 55K miles is probably a little early, but it also depends on how the coolant system was treated and whether they changed out the fluid or not. The same can be said about the hose and it is even more prone to issues because it may see more heat than other parts of the car due to the ambient temps and whatnot (used to live off of Terminal BLVD in Norfolk).
The H20 pump gasket is what failed seems premature and a bad design. But it was the easiest water pump swap I have ever done.

The hot days are also hell on the roof liner. Get your hands on a can of 3M upholstery adhesive and tack it back up there. Otherwise, you are going to be going to an upholstery shop to have them do it for you.
The car is garage kept and isn't driven during the days, it has had an easy life. I think I'll just pull out the liner and take it to an upholstery shop.

The power steering hose, I would call that just back luck. Granted, if the radiator hose and the power steering hose are kinda in line with each other, could something have gotten under the car and hot both of these hoses? Something to think about.
The power steering pump is leaking up top, looks like a gasket fitting.

When it comes to brakes, I feel your pain. I normally end up working on atleast 1 corner of the car every year (normally the rear calipers). I seem to have a big issue with the e-brake levers sticking. But, I rebuild the calipers myself now and I have switched over to some cross-drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic pads and they have lasted me about 5 years/60K miles and the pads still have a fair amount of meat on them. Not a bad deal since I got 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads for $200.
Yeah, I bought some Brembo's and ceramic pads, no more soft planned obsolescence brake parts.

As you have found with the RX-7, every vehicle has it "common issues". The brakes are a common issue I have seen, the check valve is another one that is a common issue. A roof liner is common to almost any car that has lived most of its life in a hot area after 10 years or so.
The RX-7's problems are turbo hoses/coolant related. I have only had one other roof lining fall, it was in a Volvo.

I agree with your post though, thanks for the great feedback.

Old 04-11-2014, 09:32 PM
Veteran member

Mr rx, I wish you luck in getting the headliner out of the car. In short, based on how it is made, unless you fold it in half (which it isn't meant to be), you have to pull out the windshield to get the headliner out. Thought you might want to know before you get going too far into the project.

Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 PM

I thought it could be pulled out of the back door if done carefully?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I've been having some serious problems lately too. First it was the coolant tank breaking. I kind of taped it up and drove it around while I was waiting for the replacement tank, not a good idea. Then 2 weeks go by after the coolant tank is installed, now the check engine light pops on and tells me the thermostat is bad. I get the new hose and thermostat, thinking the thermostat was leaking too. I change the thermostat hose today. Car is still leaking coolant, I go to look and find it is actually the water pump leaking. Frustrated I try tightening the water pump bolts to stop the leak. One of the bolts snaps off, only to find the leak was actually coming from the center wheel of the water pump. So now I have to order a new pump, order new bolts, try to remove the broken bolt, and put coolant in it again. And in the middle of all this I decided to lower my car myself and it turned into a gigantic over-budget grueling 3-weekend install and it still needs sway bar end links.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my 2002 x type headliner a month ago. Wasn't too bad. It does come out the rr door fairly easily with the front seats laying flat and the rear seat removed. Just take your time.

Old 04-13-2014, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by gharp58
I did my 2002 x type headliner a month ago. Wasn't too bad. It does come out the rr door fairly easily with the front seats laying flat and the rear seat removed. Just take your time.
That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 PM

Anybody have any tips on removing the headliner?

Old 04-23-2014, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Mr RX-7, give me a little bit and I will tell you all that you want to know. I am needing to pull my headliner down and repair it. Granted, if you are up for a 3 hour ride, come on up to my place (California, MD) and I am sure we can get you taken care of at the same time I do mine. I will have all the tools out already. So, getting a second car done will be a piece of cake.