Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming help needed please

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Programming help needed please

Hi folks,
Was on here a year ago, but didn't get my issue resolved. I'll be as brief as possible... 2004 X-Type 3.0 Sport Wagon
had water in tcm, got a new one from England at one third the price I could from our idiot dealer here in Newfoundland. Dealer got upset because I didn't get the part from them. I had to have tcm programmed. Had car at dealer for about 6 weeks, suffered major abuse from them. Car would no longer even start up. They screwed up everything! It may have been intentional or it may have been stupidity. Been talking to Jaguar, they don't give a damn when it comes down to it. One dealer in the Province and absolutely no support. Can give horror stories on the dealer, but what's the point? There is no help. That's why we have hardly any Jags here, BMW and Mercedes are everywhere!
I had the car towed home because I could no longer suffer the Dealer people.
Have had a couple of mechanics look at it. Purchased software and cable online, had Jag mechanic from England remote my computer. He's baffled. He thinks there is sabotage. Cannot even detect the ECU now. I did buy another used ECU as well. So, I've got two new TCMS, one used one, and the original. Oh... the dealer "lost" my new one at the garage, I had to fight to get it back.
I tried programming the old ecu, it seems to be going through the whole car, I follow instructions, everything clicks and whirrs and it says on screen "Programming in process". Problem is, it never finishes. After about 5 hours, it gives an error, "Invalid argument encountered". I tried programming the used ECU, it seemed like it was going to work. It did detect the VIN from the other used car, but seems like that got overwritten in the programming process later. It also never finishes programming.
The ECU programming also never seems to finish, but I honestly forget the results of that right now.
Is there a specific order to program those modules? Can anybody offer any light into the error? Suggestions?
The car is in really, really good shape. Maybe I should just sell it, if somebody is interested in trying to get it running themselves. Maybe some of those young kids out there can solve it? Maybe there is a cut wire, as suspected by one mechanic? It did detect the used ECU, but will not read the original... if it is even the original ECU. The dealer had 3 other X-Types there that they couldn't fix according to the laughing bimbo/liar on the Service desk. Couldn't get anywhere with Miss Piggy, the Service Manager (dealer's daughter). I suspect it is not a cut wire because the used ECU was detected. Make sense?
Can anybody offer help on fixing this car that has been broke down for 16 months? OR, can anybody offer an extremely creative idea on what to do with it? My personal favorite to date is to burn it on a YouTube video to bring attention to the plight of Jaguar Owners in Newfoundland. I'd love to put all the service dept personnel in it and run it over a cliff, but it won't run. Or put the exhaust pipe in through the window and gas them... but it won't run. haha. It's to the point where it's funny but not funny now. Oh God, I see why people go nuts sometimes!
Any ideas? Is it possible to put a distributor in this car and run it that way? I know nothing else will work then, but would the basic car work? There must be a way to trace wires or fix the moudules as is. Please, if anybody can help. Right now, the calipers are sticking, etc., as happens with cars when they are parked. No point going to court, I cannot argue 10 year old electronics, the dealer knows that. Anybody think of any way to give the Dealer lots of hair-pulling torment? I want the car fixed mainly, but if that can't be done, ways to torment the Dealer are a second option. Thank you everybody. If it sounds like I am angry, it's because I am... or was at least. Just like to get it going now.
My advice to car buyers... Don't buy a Jag in NFLD.
Thank you most sincerely.
New note: I just read that any ecu from the same vin range will work if I do not program the ecu, just play with the Security options in the program and accept the current keys. Anybody had luck with this? Thank you again.

Last edited by NLXTypeOwner; 10-24-2014 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 10-26-2014, 04:07 AM
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

As a last resort to get the engine running you could try fitting a stand alone ECU like Megasquirt. I have never used Megasquirt or any other stand alone so cannot offer any specific advice on how to do it.

The following users liked this post:
NLXTypeOwner (10-27-2014)