X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Programming your own key for X-Type?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Programming your own key for X-Type?

I am new to Jaguar as well as this forum, I just purchased my first x-type and both the key fabs do not activate the car with fresh batteries. Is it possible to program your own keys with a programmer available online? Is there a specific brand that is widely used by the home mechanic? I called to have the keys re programmed at a Jag shop and the cost is over $200, the cost of some programmers.

Foxwell NT510 Multi-System Scanner for Land Rover and Jaguar with Advanced Functions Such As Actuation, Adaptation And Programming https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014CT4WU8/..._qYufybVBAV6NJ

Old 10-29-2016, 08:41 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

James, if you are only programming the push button on the fob, then all that you should need is a good key that can start the car. From there, you follow the standard fob programming and you should be able to mate up a new fob portion of the key without any programming tools needed. If you were trying to program a new key, you could need the specialized software. But, since you mention that you have 2 good keys that start the car, again, no software needed.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:55 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

I am confused about you problem. The keys are TWO PARTS. The key blade and the keyfob transmitter. They are both snapped together but are completely separate components. Do you need KEYS (transponders) or KEYFOB TRANSMITTERS configured to your car????????
more info please.

There is a vast amount of info on this forum. TSBs are your friend.

bob

The following users liked this post:
PanamaJag (11-01-2016)
Old 10-29-2016, 11:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh wow, thats great I didnt realize it could be done without a programmer. I really appreciate the assistance. I am new to this forum and it has already been such a great resource.

Old 12-12-2019, 07:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Thermo
James, if you are only programming the push button on the fob, then all that you should need is a good key that can start the car. From there, you follow the standard fob programming and you should be able to mate up a new fob portion of the key without any programming tools needed. If you were trying to program a new key, you could need the specialized software. But, since you mention that you have 2 good keys that start the car, again, no software needed.
What's the program called or how do i get such program . Because my x400 wont let me program a key due to loss of original key sets by previous owners and so the security is still active and also the new keys i have and new ignition i had to buy just to be able to turn the ignition to on and off and still can't run the programming prosses

Old 12-13-2019, 12:48 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Motorcar man. Does this mean that I might be able to get a new free keyfob from the dealer because of the recall ? How would I know if I’m able to get this done for free. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-13-2019, 02:01 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

If you are referring to the Service Action S527..............the offer expired in 2008.

"This Service Action is valid for a limited time only. Repairs must be complete and warranty claims
accepted for payment prior to the 30 June 2008 expiration date."

Old 12-13-2019, 09:01 PM
Veteran member

JOhnny, the program that you would need to program the keys is called SSD. If you look on e-bay, you can buy it there, but plan on spending about $500+ to get the laptop/program. There are knock-off programs out there that you can download, but you need to be careful what you get as some may have viruses in them, some versions require you to subscribe to the Jaguar Technician site (costs a few hundred USD a year as I recall to have a subscription) and some are fairly old versions (which in your case may not be such a bad thing). Not to mention that you would also need to buy what is called a Mongoose cable. The Mongoose cable has the OBD port on one end and a USB plug on the other. This is what allows you to take your laptop and talk with the car. Once you can run SSD, then you can get into the key programming section and do what you need. I have not played with SSD personally, but seen a few discussions here on the subject.

This is where a tow and paying a dealership to program the keys may be the cheaper way. Depending on the size of town you live in, you may be able to find a local locksmith that works on cars and they may have the software. But the locksmith is going to be a hit and miss sort of thing and will probably require you to call numerous shops before you find one that can do what you need.

Old 12-14-2019, 02:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

May be a typo for SDD (as in IDS/SDD).

Old 12-14-2019, 07:50 AM
Veteran member

JagV8, thanks for that. I always get SSD and SDD confused in my head when talking about the computer system. I live in a world of acronyms and I just have too many in my head to keep them all straight. Gotta love nuclear power.

Old 12-14-2019, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 709 Likes on 634 Posts

Lol, omfg, smfh, rotflmao...

:-) :-) :-)

Old 12-18-2019, 02:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can get good virtual machines running sdd here https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WZu0WPnOcUqwEJ You need virtual box installed to run them. You will also need a Mongoose cable or decent clone to link to the car. The images have worked fine for me.

The following users liked this post:
Bruce in North Dakota (12-25-2019)