X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Propshaft Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 02:07 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Propshaft Dilema

Well here we go again, took my X to a well known and respected garage again on Saturday to try and diagnose the whine comming from somewhere under the car at between 29 & 31 mph (temperature above freezing), the mechanic took a drive with me and said yep i can hear it we took it back to the garage on the ramps and he gave the underneath a real good looking over checking everywhere for any leaks etc - result all looking good with no leaks anywhere, he decided that it could be the prop bearing but said it looked perfectly good checking for movement etc with good signs of grease. His decision was that a lot of these Jags have this problem / fault / and its not a safety issue but more of a dammed anoyance..Recomendation..qoute "if we replace it - it may not cure itas sometimes it dontso you have spent money fo nothing / put up with it / a new prop at £400 quid + / or a replacement bearing which could meen cutting the prop in half to replace the bearing (depending on the one fitted) + re-welding + re-balancing + re fitting which can be just as expensive....... what would you guys do apart from wearing earmuffs while driving. I think jag should do a re-call on this problem but they wont if its not a safety issue. car has only just covered 14,000 mls.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts
Default RE: Propshaft Dilema

Refer to the posts about greasing the Prop Shaft center bearing. If not wanting to try that, get a new Prop Shaft unless you can put up with the sound. I couldn't. Cutting, welding rebalancing, etc would probably end up costing more than replacing and you'd have a weaker component. Your dealer will have one on the shelf waiting for you because as you said, it's a known problem althoughnot a safety recall problem. The new Prop Shaft is quiet...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
ud
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out this thread.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_85101/tm.htm

Old 01-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

ORIGINAL: ferret
Recomendation..qoute "if we replace it - it may not cure itas sometimes it dontso you have spent money fo nothing / put up with it / a new prop at £400 quid + / or a replacement bearing which could meen cutting the prop in half to replace the bearing (depending on the one fitted) + re-welding + re-balancing + re fitting which can be just as expensive....... what would you guys do apart from wearing earmuffs while driving. I think jag should do a re-call on this problem but they wont if its not a safety issue. car has only just covered 14,000 mls.
I'd agree with ALL of that (except maybe the part about "may not cure it", 'cuz I can;t imagine any scenario where replacing it won't cure it)

Old 01-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Thanks for the links Dennis , but been there / done that /got needles etc / been on my back squirting grease in it...the result was ..still have the damn whine but many thanks again for that info
ORIGINAL: Dennis

Check out this thread.. https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_85101/tm.htm

Old 01-19-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not really the bearing making the noise, that's why greasing didn't stop it. It's actually the rubber portion surrounding the bearing allowing the harmonic finger on a wine glass sound so typical of this problem. You can try absolutely soaking the rubber portion with spray silicone wet lube but I can't guarantee results. Cold weather just makes the problem worse, I've heard the noise during 80 degree weather as well.

Old 01-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get used to it, it's just your cat purring.........lol

Old 01-19-2009, 04:33 PM

well it must be a realy hungry large cat lol.
ORIGINAL: dgrelecki

Get used to it, it's just your cat purring.........lol

Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Real_Tech

It's not really the bearing making the noise, that's why greasing didn't stop it. It's actually the rubber portion surrounding the bearing allowing the harmonic finger on a wine glass sound so typical of this problem. You can try absolutely soaking the rubber portion with spray silicone wet lube but I can't guarantee results. Cold weather just makes the problem worse, I've heard the noise during 80 degree weather as well.
I couldn't find words to explain the sound i was hearing this winter but the finger on a wine glass is exactly what it sounds like. Is this just a sound that you can ignore and wait till spring or is there something that needs to be checked out/fixed? I only hear it on really cold days when the car hasn't warmed up completely and under 25mph.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:19 PM

joking here but I "fixed it!", when I get in and it's freezing outside, I let car warm up anddrive and turn radio on, still hear it? turn radio up! rinse, repeat! Bill

Old 01-20-2009, 05:47 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was quiet today going and coming from work - it was in the teens this morning and mid twentys on the way home. I did let the car warm up in both instances.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 113 Posts

Bill, eventually the volume increase will blow the speakers...but good temporary solution.

Old 01-20-2009, 08:09 PM
Received 59 Likes on 12 Posts

The sound is just an irritating noise. I have yet to see any sort of mechanical failure of an X-Type drive shaft. Some are noisier than others, I drove one yesterday that screamed so loudly I swear you could hear me coming from a mile away and it did it all the time. The customer declined the repair. I couldn't have lived with that noise for more than a mile but usually they make noise first thing in the morning or just on decell coming up to a traffic signal.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:23 PM

ive had the same problem so i took mine to the mechanic based on the conversations on these forums, they ended up replacing a "bearing" (they didnt tell me which one) and to be honest THE WHINING STOPPED! but in return... ive got reverberating sound of which i believe is coming from the prop shaft... So Bill is right I DO TURN UP THE MUSIC!