Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on Rear Entertainment System Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:04 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Questions on Rear Entertainment System Install

I got my daugther the rear entertainment system for xmas. Still dead set against 'em for normal trips but for long trips she's been using a portable dvd player which is just a pita to get set up so for Nalley's crazy low price I bit. The hope is to do the install on Xmas eve so that when she goes to Grandma's the next morning she can watch the video Santa gave her on the Santa screen. Looking over the directions it seems pretty straight forward. Just a couple questions for those who have done it. Mine is a 5 speed so how to you remove the trim around the shift gaiter? Also, I know some have said they did it w/o removing the seat. Were you able to reach up and zip tie the line how they say to do it or would you remove 'em if you did it again? Anybody have a good idea on time. Will probably take it to work to do it in the shop bays with the weather we have been having here. Finally any good tips for making it a painless install?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the install on mine. I too have a 5 speed. To remove the center console, you have to remove the trip around the shifter, take out the two screws towards where the bottom part of the trip clips in. then there are three bolts you need to take out that are in the arm rest. after that, you need to remove a screw from each side of the carpetting next to the front seats. once you have these out, the carpet should be able to be pulled off slowly. it is held in by clips. once you get the carpet part off, there are two screws on each side you will need to take off. I think they need a T20 bit. once you have these off the console will become loose. then you will need to disconnect the alarm light in the middle by reaching under the console and unclipping it. Should now be free to take it off.

For the Seats, you do not need to take the seats out. I just undid the bottom of the seat cover, and reached my hand up to get to the cable and pulled it through. I didnt zip tie like the instructions said to.

It took me about 3-4 hours with a lot of trial and error trying to figure out how to do it, and not have to take the seats out. If I knew the information I know now, im sure I can do the install in about 45 mins.

It is fairly straight forward. I did the install in my front driveway at night with no exterior light, so I think you should be fine working on it in a shop.

Make sure to test out the screens are connected up correctly before screwing everything back in. I made a rooky mistake and did that, only to find that i did not connect the correct wires for the power, so basically had to take everything a part and re do it. So i guess you could say the time it took me was to do it twice.

Good luck with the install. Way worth it. looks great once installed.

The following users liked this post:
benebob (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 02:35 PM
ud

Originally Posted by 04XTYPE
I did the install on mine. I too have a 5 speed. To remove the center console, you have to remove the trip around the shifter, take out the two screws towards where the bottom part of the trip clips in. then there are three bolts you need to take out that are in the arm rest. after that, you need to remove a screw from each side of the carpetting next to the front seats. once you have these out, the carpet should be able to be pulled off slowly. it is held in by clips. once you get the carpet part off, there are two screws on each side you will need to take off. I think they need a T20 bit. once you have these off the console will become loose. then you will need to disconnect the alarm light in the middle by reaching under the console and unclipping it. Should now be free to take it off.

For the Seats, you do not need to take the seats out. I just undid the bottom of the seat cover, and reached my hand up to get to the cable and pulled it through. I didnt zip tie like the instructions said to.

It took me about 3-4 hours with a lot of trial and error trying to figure out how to do it, and not have to take the seats out. If I knew the information I know now, im sure I can do the install in about 45 mins.

It is fairly straight forward. I did the install in my front driveway at night with no exterior light, so I think you should be fine working on it in a shop.

Make sure to test out the screens are connected up correctly before screwing everything back in. I made a rooky mistake and did that, only to find that i did not connect the correct wires for the power, so basically had to take everything a part and re do it. So i guess you could say the time it took me was to do it twice.

Good luck with the install. Way worth it. looks great once installed.
Never heard it called the trip. I'm assuming you're talking about the POS crappy plastic piece around the fake leather gaitor right. So where are the screws for it at? Mine is just a solid piece- no holes for screws or covers for screws, etc. On the Ikea drawing Jag put in the directions for the auto it shows just pulling it up (as if it is just held in by cheap plastic tabs that will break when you pull it up). A couple steps later it has you taking 2 screws out from the ash tray area. Are these the ones you speak of. Jag interiors kind of scare me. They are fragile to being with and I got big hands.

Lastly what did you do to get the wire down? Did you need a coat hanger or the like? Since I have access to a shop (well we really aren't supposed to be there but, its warm and big (5 ton dump truck work big) I can make an exception or two during the winter months.their stuff w/o asking first. Plan to take my own in. No tools as they are property of our mechanics and I wouldn't dream of borrowing Just might have to bribe a cop or two that they didn't see me when they come in for gas.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

You just need to get your finger nails under it and pull up. These pieces are clipped in.

The following users liked this post:
benebob (12-11-2010)
Old 12-11-2010, 04:24 PM
ud

Originally Posted by exexpat
You just need to get your finger nails under it and pull up. These pieces are clipped in.
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to find out I was wrong with a snap.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:47 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

No coat hanger required to get the wire down. just keep pushing the wire down, and then once you have the seat cover open on the bottom, you just have to reach up with your hand and feel around for the wire. then just pull it through. The wire stops towards the top part of the seat as there is something in the way, so all you have to do is get your fingers through, and then pull the wire through. may need to push the seat cushion in a little to get the wire out.

Old 12-12-2010, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 115 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by benebob
Thanks for the confirmation. I thought that might be the case but didn't want to find out I was wrong with a snap.
I've had mine out a dozen times now - including last night.

edit: ok, that sentence without context just sounds bad ^

Old 12-12-2010, 02:40 PM
ud

Well a rainy day pushed the install up since I didn't want to go ski in the rain. Took me about 4 hours. Would have been about 3.5 had I not put the black box on the wrong side of the parking brake. Only thing I couldn't figure out was how to zip tie the screen cord to the "bar" in the seat. Mine seemed to be sewn to the leather so no way to get a tie around it. Just have it routed the factory way w/o ties. Don't see it moving. Lost two of the lower console trim metal clips into the abiss though.