X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question

hello to all I've been looking around here for a few weeks since getting my girlfriend an x-type.

so anyways my question is if your info panel tells you a fluid level is low and you don't correct it will it throw a check engine code?

my example is low washer fluid level.... girlfriend didn't add any for close to a week now and last night it threw a check engine light

today I add the washer fluid and immediately it goes off the info panel then after driving a mile up the road I turned the car off to check the other fluids and when I turn the car back on the check engine light is off

Old 12-11-2009, 04:43 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

xtype02, I am not familiar with the fluid levels being tied in with the check engine light. Just for reference, after 5 complete drive cycles (ie, car running for more than about 5 minutes each time), the next start, the check engine light will turn itself off. This assumes that the item that caused the check engine light did not reappear during those 5 drive cycles. You can still go to a local auto parts store and read the codes. It will be stored in the computer. From there you can see if the two are related.

I think it is just a coincidence that the two happened like they did. So, smile and keep driving the car.

Old 12-11-2009, 05:26 PM

thanks for the reply thermo

ive been looking on here and found a listing of p codes and assuming these are all check engine codes I saw nothing close to any fluid level related issues

on a side note I did tell my girlfriend to stop at the local auto zone and when he hooked his scan tool to the car it just said error

I then had her take it to the gm dealer where we just purchased the car on 11-30 and the service guy told us they didnt have a scanner to read the code which I thought was weird because looking at a few scan tools online everyone that will scan my s10 will scan the jag as well

so is this service guy bs'ing me or will pretty much any obd code reader work?

Old 12-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,823 Likes on 3,142 Posts

xtype, by definitition, there are 3 different standards out there when it comes to OBD-II systems. In short, you have the Ford standard, the GM standard, and the Chrysler (Daimler) standard. Most other manufacturers follow the Chrysler standard also. So, yes, if the GM dealership had a high end unit that was very specific to GM stuff, it is possible that it can't read the Ford protocall. Granted, my understanding of the higher end units is they have the multi protocall stuff built into them, just needs to be activated. May have been a cost cutting thing.

As for the other code reader just saying "Error", sounds like to me that the reader wasn't plugged in all the way. If it was, that would lead me to think an ECU/communications circuit problem. But then, you got the codes later, so, who knows. See what you can do about getting the codes read at another car parts place and go from there. Once I get the codes, we can get you fixed up fairly quickly.

Old 12-15-2009, 04:33 PM

thanks thermo I've already sent my girlfriend to advance and theirs said error as well

now instead of paying the 50 for the jag dealer 50 miles away to take 5 min to pull the code and another 10 to type it out onto a estimate I think im going to buy my own, we plan on keeping the car for at least 2-4 years and I prefer to do my own work anyways

now can someone make some recommendations for a good scanner

Old 12-15-2009, 07:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 186 Likes on 161 Posts

I have an Innova 3130. may be overkill but it gets used by the extended family.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

In my opinion most diagnostic code readers will meet the needs of a hobby mechanic. The under $50 ones will read all the generic codes. The ones under $100 will read all the generic codes and have the ability to read 'freeze frame' data. That tells you what is going on at the time of the fault in terms of RPM, load, speed, etc. They may also have the ability to transfer that information to a PC.

Above that you jump to under $500 that will read the full set of Jaguar specific codes but require a computer to be connected. Basically you get a $20 OBDII to USB converter and the software to make it work.

I bought the 'freeze frame' model for about $80 but really have not found a use for the data even after a few codes.