X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Tank

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Radiator Tank

How do you get off the radiator tank top. I unscrewed it and it came loose. I tried to life it off it won't budge, I tried pushing down and turning no, pulling it up and twisting no. I imagine it made this way so one does not get sprayed with hot radiator fluid. I read the owners manual and all it says is to twist the cap off counter clock wise. Nothing about how to lift it off.
It is going down to -13 degrees F tonight and the daytime highs up until Monday will be between + 10 F to + 15F Lows each night will be well below zero. If someone is out there now can you shoot me back a answer as I would like to check this before dark which is around 1700 hours

Old 01-22-2011, 03:21 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,826 Likes on 3,145 Posts

Adam, odds are the cap is catching on the inside lip of the opening. So, you will need to unscrew it till you don't see it rising any more than you will need to get your finger tips under the edge of the cap and pop it off. I have heard of a few guys having this issue. Unfortunately, there isn't much else that you can do about this.

Old 01-22-2011, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does the same thing. It will pop off like Thermo said, but you will have to tap it back into place to get it to screw back on. Just set the cap on the tank and give it a good tap until it seats then give it some downward force whilst screwing it back on.

Old 01-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

I asked the same question the beginning of this month! I applied upward pressure on the cap by using a screwdriver between the top of the tank and the cap as a pry bar while twisting the cap and it popped off.

Old 01-23-2011, 09:25 AM
Smile Cap

Thank you all for the advise. I am going to try what is suggested in the post and see if I can get if off today. Here I thought it was made this way to protect a person from taking off the cap when the radiator fluid was hot.

Old 01-23-2011, 04:51 PM
Smile Radiator overflow tank

I went out this morning and tried for 20 minutes to get the cap of the tank using the suggestion you all posted, no success. However it was very cold and I can't stand usually more then 10 or 15 minutes due to my back condition. My son is going fool with it tomorrow and we will see if he is successful.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Adam Lueb
I went out this morning and tried for 20 minutes to get the cap of the tank using the suggestion you all posted, no success. However it was very cold and I can't stand usually more then 10 or 15 minutes due to my back condition. My son is going fool with it tomorrow and we will see if he is successful.
I use the large screw driver method to pry the cap off. I just go at it easy so as not to damage the tank. Like has been said here the problem is the inner part of the cap catching on the inside of the tank opening. When I replace the cap I give a sharp smack with the heel of my hand to get it down to where the thread will catch so it can be screwed on tight.

Old 01-23-2011, 10:54 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

unfortunately this is a common problem with the X-type and my dealer has used the screwdriver method to remove the cap - i wasnt game to do that myself as the plastic that the tank is made of is not all that robust.

when the nipple failed where the hose fits (another common fault) it cost me $600.00 aud fitted for a new tank but here in west australia there is only a choice of three service centres that have Jaguar experience.

Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Smile Radiator Cap

Originally Posted by oz1701
unfortunately this is a common problem with the X-type and my dealer has used the screwdriver method to remove the cap - i wasnt game to do that myself as the plastic that the tank is made of is not all that robust.

when the nipple failed where the hose fits (another common fault) it cost me $600.00 aud fitted for a new tank but here in west australia there is only a choice of three service centres that have Jaguar experience.

As we would say in the states that's a big ripoff.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:49 PM
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by oz1701

You really don't put much pressure on the tank. The way I do it, is to place the flat of a large screw drive under the edge of the cap and then twist it.

Old 01-25-2011, 06:19 PM
Smile Tank

Originally Posted by Green Machine
You really don't put much pressure on the tank. The way I do it, is to place the flat of a large screw drive under the edge of the cap and then twist it.
Thanks good tip. I still haven't gotten it off, too cold to work outside and tomorrow thru Friday there is going to be a "big snow storm" according to this am weather report

Old 01-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Adam, you will likely have to use the screwdriver prybar approach. I noticed on mine it was a puke to take off, so before I put it back on I adjusted the little tabs out a bit with needle nose pliers, they bend very easily, now it pops right off.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Smile Radiator Cap

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
Adam, you will likely have to use the screwdriver prybar approach. I noticed on mine it was a puke to take off, so before I put it back on I adjusted the little tabs out a bit with needle nose pliers, they bend very easily, now it pops right off.

I haven't tried it yet as its been too cold and I can only stand in one place for maybe 5 minutes, without being in a large amount of pain. I would let my son try, but he is not the most patient or gentlest person in the world and this seems to be a job which needs some finesse. One think he lacks. Other than that he is a hard working help developer, Kung Fu Master and a parttime cook. I will let you know when I get if off