X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio and phone

Old 02-11-2011, 03:00 PM
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Smile Radio and phone

My son asked me a question today when we were out in my X. He noted there are two telephone icons on the radio. He said is the phone already built into the radio or is it a cell phone type that can be plugged into the radio. I said I don't have a clue. I do know when I press the phone icon it says no phone. Which I already new. My question is how is the phone setup done on these cars?

I also noticed in the glove box a plastic cover on the left side. Where does that cover lead?

Old 02-11-2011, 06:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

THe phone when equiped actually mounts in the trunk, I think it's a dumb thing for a 2004 or later car but it is the biggest thing Jag cheaped out on, the whole life of the X-Type they had the same head unit, with the option being Nav.

The bluetooth option still bugs me that I can't get one, my car has the mikes installed but no option for bluetooth. Dumb!

I popped that cover off but can't remember what was in there, I think electrical connections or something.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sidewalkman
THe phone when equiped actually mounts in the trunk, I think it's a dumb thing for a 2004 or later car but it is the biggest thing Jag cheaped out on, the whole life of the X-Type they had the same head unit, with the option being Nav.

The bluetooth option still bugs me that I can't get one, my car has the mikes installed but no option for bluetooth. Dumb!

I popped that cover off but can't remember what was in there, I think electrical connections or something.
Silly question, where are your mic's fitted?

Thanks

Old 05-23-2011, 02:00 PM
Received 4,435 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Ah but you can! Just need to get your hands on the right parts, see my other post.

Old 05-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I tried mine the other day too, as a 4 week Jag owner, it says "no phone". Mine is a manual shift and talking through Bluetooth would make life a whole bunch easier.

Ah but you can! Just need to get your hands on the right parts, see my other post.
Might have to look into this.

Are the mics mounted on the ceiling on either side of the light?

Last edited by bzavasnik; 05-23-2011 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by bzavasnik
I tried mine the other day too, as a 4 week Jag owner, it says "no phone". Mine is a manual shift and talking through Bluetooth would make life a whole bunch easier.

Might have to look into this.

Are the mics mounted on the ceiling on either side of the light?

Yes there appears to be two mics on the ceiling, fitted along side of the overhead map or reading light.

I thought they may be pressure sensors for security, windows being broken etc.

What do you think.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Hamcall
Yes there appears to be two mics on the ceiling, fitted along side of the overhead map or reading light.

I thought they may be pressure sensors for security, windows being broken etc.

What do you think.
Those aren't mic's, they are in fact for ultrasonic sensors as part of the premium security system, where fitted. The vents are always there, even without the sensors.

The OEM mics are in two possible locations.

Pre-2005 they were built into the roof console, there is a single grille in the middle of the console.

For dealer upgrades and models post 2005, a separate external mic was installed on the drivers side in the hoodlining, right next to the roof console.

You can see all here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/MOD...othInstall.pdf

If you had an old GSM phone fitted, you might be in luck with the wiring, but then again maybe not.

What you see in the instructions is a car that is pre-wired with a Phone+Voice loom, which goes to the media rack in the boot. Cars without pre-wire are missing those looms. But the killer is the connector that goes to the center console, that needs 8-wires, old GSM looms only had 5.

Got two separate threads going here, might be worth bringing them together, Mods?

Last edited by Cambo; 05-24-2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Link didn't work?
Old 05-24-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cambo351
Those aren't mic's, they are in fact for ultrasonic sensors as part of the premium security system, where fitted. The vents are always there, even without the sensors.

The OEM mics are in two possible locations.

Pre-2005 they were built into the roof console, there is a single grille in the middle of the console.

For dealer upgrades and models post 2005, a separate external mic was installed on the drivers side in the hoodlining, right next to the roof console.

You can see all here http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/MOD...all%5B1%5D.pdf

If you had an old GSM phone fitted, you might be in luck with the wiring, but then again maybe not.

What you see in the instructions is a car that is pre-wired with a Phone+Voice loom, which goes to the media rack in the boot. Cars without pre-wire are missing those looms. But the killer is the connector that goes to the center console, that needs 8-wires, old GSM looms only had 5.

Got two separate threads going here, might be worth bringing them together, Mods?
Link does not work???

Old 05-24-2011, 10:48 AM

Try it again
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11575086/MOD...othInstall.pdf

Don't copy/paste, just launch it in the browser...?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:29 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting. On my X I have the mic. on the ceiling next to the overhead console. I was able to pair my iphone 4 pretty easily and it works using the built in controls. I just assumed if you have a mic it supports the bluetooth connection. I use it all the time....only thing that doesn't work for me is voice controls/dialing. clicking on the voice button on the steering wheel just mutes the audio.