Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Radio Wiring

Quick question...
The radio that came standard with our Jag is a radio/cassette player. There is a button at the front for CD, but the car did not come equipped with the CD changer. I was wondering if it would be possible to hardwire a standard audio jack to the CD input of the radio so I can hook up my MP3 player through something different than using the silly little tape adapters. So mow the question is... does anyone have a schematic of which connections into the radio are for the CD changer?

2002 X-type.

Thanks!
K.and.A

Old 04-11-2009, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Unfortunately Alldata won't let me save the schematic so i can send it to you. However, they do sell a kit you can install that will allow you to hook your Mp3 player to it.

Old 04-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 128 Likes on 122 Posts
Old 04-13-2009, 09:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank Chris!

Thank you ChrisX...
Even though this wiring info did not directly give me the info I was looking for, it did give me enough info to determine I cannot use the CD input on the radio to just hard wire an audio jack in there. The CD input is a digital input, because that input is designed to work with a CD changer... one where audio and data comes into the radio and date goes out from the radio (change disc, change track, etc.) back to the changer.

So I guess if I want an aux audio input I will just have to cough up the dough to buy the ACM... I just have a hard time swallowing paying that much for just an aux audio input... I can buy a heck of a lot of tape adapters for that money!

Thanks!
K.and.A

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 AM
Veteran Member

Somebody had a writeup about getting an AUX input wired up via an aftermarket amp. IIRC, he bypassed the radio altogether and fed the amp straight from an MP3 player. The amp did power all the speakers, so basically he would just switch inputs from the head unit to the MP3. Used speaker line input to amp from head unit and mini-jack to RCA for mp3. It worked, just have to turn the head unit off when wanting to use MP3.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure you could also try finding a head unit with the cd player. Pretty sure you have to get it reprogrammed at jag though.

Old 04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris X
Somebody had a writeup about getting an AUX input wired up via an aftermarket amp. IIRC, he bypassed the radio altogether and fed the amp straight from an MP3 player. The amp did power all the speakers, so basically he would just switch inputs from the head unit to the MP3. Used speaker line input to amp from head unit and mini-jack to RCA for mp3. It worked, just have to turn the head unit off when wanting to use MP3.

There is an AUX input for our X-Type? Would this be located in the back of the radio? I want to have my Sirius Sat radio play through the AUX instead of the dead FM stations.

How does everyone else have their SAT radio installed in their cars?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

hi sorry to bother you but you seam to know about audio. wonder if you can help. x type 2006. i changed my jaguar cd player to a jaguar cassette player. All the conectors were the same however, im getting terrible crackling like theres a crossed wire even though everything works as it should and comes up on the screen ok and all the icons work on the touch screen and the steering wheel controls work ok. im at a loss? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-01-2009, 08:56 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Pete04xtype
There is an AUX input for our X-Type? Would this be located in the back of the radio? I want to have my Sirius Sat radio play through the AUX instead of the dead FM stations.

How does everyone else have their SAT radio installed in their cars?
Other than how I described above with the amp work around, the only other AUX for factory unit is the ACM supplied by the dealer.

As for Sirius, I have mine routed through the antenna directly, not via the FM transmitter on the Sirius unit.

In short, you connect the output lead from the Sirius to a converter in-line with the antenna lead going into the back of the factory head unit. Eliminates some of the reception problems but you still have to select an FM station for broadcast. I have an aftermarket CD changer also installed in this manner so my antenna lead is actually split twice - have to turn off one or the other for good sound quality.

All of this is done behind the head unit. Easy job.