X-Type ( X400 ) 2001 - 2009
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Real Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Real Headlight Problem

Ok so I have a 2002 x-type 3.0 with nav that is having prolems with the HIDs. Specifically (right now/intermintently) the driver's side. It used to be an intermintent problem between both headlights.... i.e one would work, both would work, or none at all. I've replaced both bulbs with the originals and replaced the balasts with the original hellas. So here's a few questions and maybe someone could lead me in the right dirrection on this.

First: Does anyone have the schematic for the lights? I got JTIS but I'm waiting to upgrade windows so I can use it.

2: How do you remove the wiring harness from the back of the light? I wanted to check and see if some pins are melted (as it seems to be a common problem). I get impatient with these things and I don't want to break it.

3. Assuming I can't get a schematic, What else is in the circuit besides the ballast, ignighter, the and the two fuses? Does the nav comminicate with the lights at all for the auto dimming feature (I noticed once that it didn't dim when the lights where supposed to be on). Or maybe the ECM? I have had some other out of whack faults such as the vauge "cruise control not available" and an ABS fault.

Thanks in advance for any help. I've been to jaguar several times... here in Germany... and they haven't been able to fix any of my problems yet (mostly electrical). Seeing as I'm a generator mechanic by trade, and work with complicated circuits every dat, I thought I would just tackle the problem myself.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Did you replace the relay for the lights before you turfed the HID? 9 times out of 10 the fault is there.

I would first try to nail down where the fault is, when the light is not working get an ohmeter and check for juice at the light, then at the fuse and then at the relay. If has juice at the light the issue is pretty easy, same with the rest. I've not heard of a car having broken wires unless it was in an accident.

Old 01-14-2011, 01:02 PM
Default Relay?

Hey thanks for the very quick reply. What relay are you reffering to exactly?

Old 01-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by viralholic
Hey thanks for the very quick reply. What relay are you reffering to exactly?
Under the hood there is a headlight relay. In the fuse box there

Old 01-14-2011, 04:55 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,825 Likes on 3,144 Posts

Viral, look at relay R9. That is the relay for the low beams. It may be possible that it is developing a high resistance connection and it is enough to cause the ignitors in the HIDs to not develop sufficient voltage to get the HIDs lit off.

As for the plug for the headlights, you simply need to push in on the tab and then while pushing in on the tab, pull out on the plug. it is slightly different than other connectors.

If you need more info, let me know. I will help step you through troubleshooting this. Sounds like you have a little bit of electrical knowledge.

Old 01-15-2011, 06:51 AM
Default Instrument Panel Showing Wrong Headlight Out

Ok so I checked the R9 relay and pulled the connector off (I broke it :P). Seems like everything is good there. Something I failed to mention before which might be a good indicator of what the problem is: The instrument panel in the cab is showing that the wrong headlight is out. (The driver's side is lit green and the passenger side is not lit at all).

Old 01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Default Correction To Last Post

Correction to last post:

Niether headlight is showing as working on instrument panel. Only when I pull the master light switch for the running lights does it show that the left one is working, but both of the running lights are working. Any Ideas?

Old 01-16-2011, 06:17 AM
Veteran member

viral, I gotta chuckle at this. What you will find out is the green lights on the dash are showing your light positions. What I want you to try is turning the headlight switch to the running light position (1 click clockwise). You should see a green light coming on that shows light going in both directions (left and right). Now, if you pull the headlight switch out (first click), you should see a second green light coming on shining to the left. This is signifying that your fog lights are on (nothing to do with your headlights). If you pull the headlight switch out one more click (yes, there are 2 positions there) you should see a yellow light come on shining to the right. This is for the rear fog lights (yes, they are there, bottom inside corner of the taillights). If you turn the headlight switch one more position clockwise, you should see your headlights come on and all the lights on the dash at this point should remain as they were before. There is no indicator for the low beams. At this point, if you pull back on the turn signal stalk (to engage the high beams), you should see the front fog light light (green light shining to the left) go out and a blue light shining to the left come on. The blue light is saying that your high beams are on (Jag calls the high beams your Main beams, might be a bit confusing if you are not used to the terminalogy).

I hope this helps get you understanding what the lights on the dash mean.

Old 01-16-2011, 11:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

im having the same issue as yu stated in the first post.
things ive changed are all light related fuses and relays even if not required, im starting it from scratch, tested with a spare ignighter works sometimes not others..just how it did.
next i changed the positive main power wire running from the battery inside the fuse box $15 with tax.
now i changed the battery and tested the alternator..all checks fine and now seems to be working.
next im changing the negative wire off the battery and i havent looked where the second negative wire gores but im changing that too.

here is the link to the bat cable i changed.
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=47889

Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 AM
Default Good To Know

Good to know someone else is with me on this ghettomike.... maybe my problem is yours to and we'll have the same fix
(did you say it was working or not?). Let me know and I'll let you. it's also good to know what all the nice lights mean... thx once again thermo. Still having the same problem.... driver side headlight out. Checked the fuses... all like 8 of them.... i haven't been able to nail anything down yet. I'm about to pull the fuse box completely out and check the connections on the back side (the box under the hood). Any ideas thermo?

Old 01-18-2011, 06:26 AM
Veteran member

Viral, how are you with using a multimeter? We can diagnose it down to a specific thing if you can use a multimeter. Let me know. Sometimes it is the silly things that can drive us bonkers. I have limited use of the JTIS (JTIS and 64 bit systems don't play well together, but i have a work around), so, I will pass on what I can find. I do have full access to the wiring diagrams, so, I am good there. We'll be able to get this problem solved for you.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:55 AM

I'm in expert with a multimeter. thing is i dont have one right now (all my tools are packed up on the way back from afghanistan). I'll probably just go pick one up in a few days though. In the meantime... I've been having problems with the JTIS also. What is this "work around" your talking about?

Old 01-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Banned
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by viralholic
Correction to last post:

Niether headlight is showing as working on instrument panel. Only when I pull the master light switch for the running lights does it show that the left one is working, but both of the running lights are working. Any Ideas?

are you sure you have an X-Type? our lighting uses a ROTATing switch for the running lights and headlights. pulling the switch is for the foglights. Also there is no indicator for which headlight is working.

If it is an X-Type, you might be looking at the foglight indicator?? I really have no clue what you are looking at. There are front and rear foglight indicators in the cluster.

Do you have the owner's handbook? if not you can get a copy here. Maybe read the section about the instrument cluster?

Old 01-18-2011, 03:34 PM
Veteran member

VIral, what i have been doing is I copied the JTIS CD on to my hard drive. Then I access the folder with the CD in it and then I go into the "DATA" folder. Inside there, you will find a lot of folders with something like "2xjx1999en". This would happen to be for a 1999 XJ vehicle done up in english. If you look near the bottom of the list, you will find folders for the X-Type (once you find it, you will want to relabel it like I did so you know what folder to go after in the future). Get into that folder and down near the bottom you will find a PDF file. This is the file that has all the electrical schematics in it. Double click the file and scroll through to find what you are after.

Hope this helps. As for getting all the "SGM" files to work, I have not found anything that will do what I am after. I have even tried telling the computer to run the JTIS in an "XP SP 3" mode and that doesn't work either. Supposedly if you have the Windows 7 (64 Bit) Ultimate, there are additional software features in that that will supposedly allow you to run the JTIS. But, don't quote me on that, just what I recall hearing around here on the boards.

Old 05-14-2011, 09:52 PM
Default Problem Fixed

Ok. So I'm back here finally. And not as emptied handed as it might seem. I say that because I meant to take some pictures just for FYI purposes when I tore into this thing for the 100th time. So.... Thanks for the info (Thermo) on how to use the JTIS. It worked that way... even though I'm still pissed they sould that to me without letting me know I couldn't use that with the version of windows I had. BUT I FIXED IT! The headlight that is. And you would never believe what it was. The two NEW balast they had sent me one of them were defective from the start. And, well, I guess that's all I'm going to say about that. Thanks for the help. I guess I learned quite a bit more about this car as a result.

Old 07-31-2011, 11:48 AM

Does anyone know if there is a fuse for passenger low beams on 2005 s-type. I am missing it some where.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Default Low beam relay

Originally Posted by Thermo
Viral, look at relay R9. That is the relay for the low beams.
Found in your engine compartment fuse box.