Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Parking Sensors XType

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Parking Sensors XType

Hi all,

Just picked up my 2.1 V6 XType 2003 and didn't actually know it had parking Sensors. I noticed that when i put it into reverse gear, a long beep was heard inside for about 5 seconds.

I looked in the boot and in the spare tyre area i found the black box for the parking Sensors. All looked clean and no water.

I did the test of putting it into reverse gear and listening to through rear sensors. I can hear the middle two "clicking" but the left and right sensors don't. i have tried to remove these but it seems almost impossible.

Will the parking Sensors work with just two sensors? Also, can someone please try to explain how to remove a sensor. i have tried but I feel like I'll break it if i push too hard (already pushing pretty hard!!)

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

I've attached a pdf from the JTIS manual. You can find instructions for downloading it in the FAQ/help section. It can be a bit hard to navigate but it has a lot of information.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Parking sensor removal.pdf (186.9 KB, 3322 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by clyons:
MT09 (04-08-2014), Yorta2 (09-24-2018)
Old 12-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Veteran member
Received 3,824 Likes on 3,143 Posts

nkhangura, just to clarify a little bit with what the PDF file says. You will need to remove the cover for the rear, then remove the electrical plug (set off to the side). What needs to be clarified is that you will find 3 tabs (pointed to in the PDF) that will need to be held away from the sensor (I find using 3 small screw drivers slid between the locking tabs and the sensors). Then from the outside of the car, use your thumb to push the sensor into the car. It will take a little bit of force, but the sensor will come. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT TWIST THE SENSOR!!!!! This will tend to lead to damage of the sensor and cause it to break into 2 pieces. How do I know? Guess what I did on my first sensor (and it was still good).

If you have any more questions ,just ask.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:36 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Thermo, i have a problem with my rear parking sensors, far left and far right. I have now bought new ones to fit in, but find it difficult to take the broken ones out. Do i have to remove the rear bumper to replace my sensors? Any help will do.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:53 PM

I have read the pdf doc clyons posted, but it doesn't make much sense as don't know if i am to press it in or out or twist. My sensors don't want to bulge.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Veteran member

Mrqng78, to remove the parking sensors, you need to get to the back side of the bumper. Once there, you will see where there is a ring that the sensor sets in. You will see 2 plastic clips (near the lip where it goes through the bumper) that hold the sensor into the bumper cover. What you need to do is get 2 small flat blade screw drivers and slide the screw drivers between those clips and the sensor enough that the clips will not get caught on the tooth of the sensor. With the screw drivers installed, go to the outside of the car and push the center of the sensor into the center of the car. With a little bit of force, the sensor will pop out.

DO NOT!!!!!!!!! twist the sensor trying to remove it. TRUST ME!!!!!!!! I messed up a sensor doing that. I broke the sensor in the middle and destroyed the wiring, causing me to have to buy a new sensor and fighting like hell to get the pieces out.

Old 06-30-2016, 02:33 PM

Hi Thermo, yeah i was able to get to rear of bumper once i had taken the fixed clips out, i could see the clips, but couldn't see any ring within the sensor holder because it's so dark and with so much restrictions because i have big fingers, thot of taking the bumper off completely so i can see properly. I will try it tomorrow after work. Thanks for the advice.
Regards.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:04 AM

Hi Thermo, you are a star, the sun was out today, so gave my parking sensors another go, found out only one was playing up and the other with a very low crackling sound, so i replaced the two end one's using the flat screw driver method to remove it from the sensor housing. Tested against a wall and myself, ignition on, no start, reverse gear on and it worked perfectly as i went closer and closer to the bumper. So no more error beeps when the reverse gear is engaged.

Next project is replacing my oxygen sensors, he he he...

Regards.

Old 07-01-2016, 03:39 PM
Veteran member

Mrqng78, good to hear that all is good. If you need help with the O2 sensors, let me know. Did those on my car. While it is a few extra dollars out of your pocket, it will save you tons of time in the end, get yourself the special offset O2 sensor socket like this: 5pc Oxygen Sensor Socket O2 Thread Chaser Install Offset Wrench Vacuum M12 M18 | eBay.

The offset socket is what you want to use. The cut open standard socket is nice for putting it back in, but I found mine to be opening up because of the force that is needed to initially break the sensor loose. I had one of the hardened ones that looked like an impact socket. Once I got the offset one (you use a breaker bar with it), the sensor popped right out with no fuss.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:49 PM

Hi Thermo, yes i will need some help if you don't mind.
I want to replace bank 1 sensor 2 and Bank 1 sensor 1. I have been told sensor 2 downstream cannot be accessed without removing a few bits around the sensor including some top parts. I was told it will take about 5hrs to do. Any diagrams and videos will be much appreciated.

Regards.

Old 07-02-2016, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

I think you have things backwards. The downstream sensor (bank 1, sensor 2) is accessible from under the car. Should be fairly out in the open. It is the upstream sensor (bank1, sensor 1) that is in a hidden hole. But, even that isn't too bad. Depending on how big your forearms are, some people can simply remove the tube that runs between the top of the intake to the brake booster. This creates an opening to reach behind the motor. You can then stick the breaker bar with the socket on the end of it to get the O2 sensor out. Otherwise, you will need to remove the top of the intake (like you were changing the intake o-rings). This will make for a bigger hole to work in and give you plenty of room to get at things. To remove the top half of the intake, perform the following:

-Disconnect tube at the throttlebody between the throttlebody and air box.
-Remove the air box
-Disconnect the vacuum lines going to the top of the intake and the 2 lines just under the throttlebody
-Disconnect the air temp sensor (top center) and the 2 IMT valves at their electrical connections
-remove 3 support bolts (10mm), 1 is between the intake and the firewall (near the center) and the other 2 are under the throttlebody (there may be only 1 there, not sure)
-remove the bolts on the top of the intake (8?)
-Move the intake out of the way, the coolant hoses will still be connected at the throttlebody, so, do not move the intake too far.

That is the short of what needs to be done. Been a little bit since I did an X-Type intake. But, with the intake moved out of the way, you will have plenty of room to do what you need.

On a side note, this would be a good time to replace the upper intake o-rings as you will have everything apart. A few more bolts and you can slide the injectors out of the way and get the lower ones done to. This will add about $40 USD to the job, but will help guarantee no vacuum leaks in the future.